Shopping for a battery to use for Truck Camper, anticipating solar

I think so, but I better do some more math following the links in the other thread. The main variable is what sort of heat. The rest of the load will be pretty much just lights, and water pump, and whatever the gas fridge draws. Most of the charging (phones, Bluetooth speaker) can be done in the vehicle. The fan on the gas heater would eat the batteries alive I would think. Will likely only use that in the wee hours, say 4A until a bit after sun up. that is when it tends to be coldest where we camp mostly, in Idaho. But, we are also used to car camping and have good bags.

With a propane fridge, I think you will be fine with 110Ah battery. I am not sure which furnace you have, but even the inefficient ones will only suck down ~10Ah or so a night as they only run a fraction of the time. You should be able to run for at least a couple of nights before needing to charge.

rando said:
With a propane fridge, I think you will be fine with 110Ah battery. I am not sure which furnace you have, but even the inefficient ones will only suck down ~10Ah or so a night as they only run a fraction of the time. You should be able to run for at least a couple of nights before needing to charge.
Thanks. The little propane furnace is whatever they put into those Northstars in 1994. I guess one other little draw will be propane and CO detectors that I plan on putting in. Can't imagine they draw much. I am planning on adding some portable solar for multi day stays, after I save up for it. We will be mostly camping up at the lakes north of town, and typically our stays run 2 -3 nights. Might try to extend that another night or two, now that we have the camper, at least a couple trips a year. We will be pulling a boat most times, and will have vehicles around for charge phones. Not planning on lap tops or any of that on these trips. And though we won't typically have power to hook up to in camp, we won't be boon docking longer term out in the desert or somewhere. At least for a few more years probably.

Right now, the camper has the typical combo deep cycle/starting lead type battery that Vic helped my calculated out only at 58ah. 110 ah will not quite double that.

Back
Top Bottom