Shunt, Inverter Wiring

A.Smith

Advanced Member
Installing 2 100amp Battle Born in parallel, a Victron Shunt, and a 1200 watt inverter.

My question; Does the negative wire for the inverter go directly to the inverter, from the battery or through the shunt ?

I understand the negative off the battery goes through the shunt. Just not clear the inverter wiring.

Thanks,
Fred
aka, A.Smith

The inverter negative should pass through the shunt so that the shunt measures that current. If you were to connect the inverter negative directly to the battery, bypassing the shunt, your tracking of battery stored energy would be way off when you use the inverter.

I bypassed the shunt on mine. I figure with the rare times I run the inverter it won't screw me up that much. Hopefully.

craig333 said:
I bypassed the shunt on mine. I figure with the rare times I run the inverter it won't screw me up that much. Hopefully.
What did you see as the advantage of bypassing the shunt?

The possibility of drawing too much current through the shunt. Making it act like a fuse. Maybe I worry too much.

Speaking of external shunts, I just realized when our battery is heating, the shunt thinks it's being charged. Our battery uses about 4.5amps when heating.

rubberlegs said:
Speaking of external shunts, I just realized when our battery is heating, the shunt thinks it's being charged. Our battery uses about 4.5amps when heating.
Yes, that is a problem for keeping the SOC reading being accurate. I recommend that you set the shunt to auto SYNCHRONIZE when it detects that the battery is full.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom