Sideways mounted roof box (Yakima, Thule, etc)?

Gormley Green

Contributors
I currently use the clamp style universal ski/snowboard carrier mounted to my FWC Hawk's factory aluminum square tube roof rack to transport our snowboards. They are exposed to a lot of weather on longer drives which I don't like. I was thinking about using our Yakima roof box from the Subaru up there, and mounting it sideways at the rear of the camper so I could open it and access it from the steps on the back of the camper. Is that a crazy idea? Aerodynamically not ideal, it may leak a bit in heavy precip, but I won't have to carry a ladder to use it. I'm posting to see if anyone has advice, or if my plan is missing anything.

If I mount it traditionally it will hang off the back of the camper, as I only have the factory rack on, not the Yakima/Thule tracks. And as I said, I think it will be a pain to open it as I'll need a ladder. Siedeways mounting will also keep it out of the way of my mid-roof mounted solar panel.

I'd like to see pics of anyone else who uses a roof box to carry snow equipment or cargo too.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom