Sierra County

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
We did a local trip last weekend. It's our annual pilgrimage to see the Banff Mountain Film Festival, which comes to the Yuba Theater every year. I caught my first Banff Mtn Film festival in 1986 in Telluride, and was delighted to learn they visit the nearby historical town of Downieville.

It's been three months since our last trip, so we were eager to get out. We left Friday after work, hustling to make the 7pm show. It's only 50 miles, but you cross all three forks of the Yuba River. We saw bush lupine in full glory down in the lower reaches of the canyons, but kept on truckin'.

Downieville is a summer time mountain bike destination, but during the winter the population is about 200. The film festival is a good economic shot in the arm for the locals, I suspect. The theater holds 180 people and the festival is a sell out every year. We saw eight films each night, from four minutes long to forty, featuring kayaking, skiing, biking, and just normal folks getting teary eyed over Yosemite. This year over 360 films competed to a select group of 80 winners, of which a smaller group goes on tour. I recommend catching the show if it's in your area.

The USFS campgrounds are mostly unlocked along the N. Fork of the Yuba, so after the show it was an easy drive to pick out a campsite in the nearly empty campgrounds. Light rain fell during the night, and we were thankful our tenting days were behind us.

The next morning we took a quick trip up to Sierra City, at the foot of the Sierra Buttes. Downieville is small, but Sierra City is even smaller. I love the old buildings there.

The Busch Building 1871, Sierra City

The Buckhorn has a fantastic patio, which will open in a month or so.

We caught breakfast at Coyoteville, and plotted our day. SR wanted to tour old Henness Pass, the original route from Marysville to Reno. Our plan was to go to Goodyears Bar on the N. Yuba and drive up Mountain House Road, the old toll road climbing nearly 2000' from the river canyon to the high ridge. From there we could visit Forest City (former pop. of 5,000') and return west to Camptonville. The historical route was used to supply the gold miners, and was the main route until the 1920's when highway 49 was built.

We met a friendly cat at Goodyears Bar. She came right over and jumped in my truck to visit Callie, then followed us on our walk along Old Toll Bridge Rd.

The rain had really pumped up the moss.

We took a look at the little museum.

More to come . . .

Yep, Andy, those old mining towns along 49 are great. Thanks for the photos; I don't get to that area much anymore.

PS: I saw some of your vintage climbing photos in my recent Mountain Gear catalog and even a photo of a much younger you!--lots of EBs to be seen. Thanks for those classic photos, too.

Yep, Andy, those old mining towns along 49 are great. Thanks for the photos; I don't get to that area much anymore.

PS: I saw some of your vintage climbing photos in my recent Mountain Gear catalog and even a photo of a much younger you!--lots of EBs to be seen. Thanks for those classic photos, too.

Hey Stew,

Good eye! Yes, that was me flailing my way up a 10.d finger crack. Those shoes were some old Robbins Galibiers, even pre-EB! (sorry all you non-climber folk ;) )

Mountain Gear contacted me when they found a gallery I put together from back in the day. Rockclimbing in the 1980's
They used quite a few shots, and I made some bucks too. Hard to believe I got paid for work I did almost thirty years ago! Apparently I am now considered "retro". I felt honored to have my shots run alongside the big dogs like Tom Frost, Jim Roskelly, et al.

But . . . I digress.

Hey Stew,

Good eye! Yes, that was me flailing my way up a 10.d finger crack. Those shoes were some old Robbins Galibiers, even pre-EB! (sorry all you non-climber folk ;) )

Mountain Gear contacted me when they found a gallery I put together from back in the day. Rockclimbing in the 1980's
They used quite a few shots, and I made some bucks too. Hard to believe I got paid for work I did almost thirty years ago! Apparently I am now considered "retro". I felt honored to have my shots run alongside the big dogs like Tom Frost, Jim Roskelly, et al.

But . . . I digress.

Yes, your work was along side some pretty big names there in the Mt Gear catalog. Congratulations!

I don't want to get technical here (well, really I do), but I thought Robbins' Galibiers were blue with very stiff welted sole, not soft with smearing soles, as are the shoes in the top-roped 5.10 pic.

Very cool. Was almost no one on the road when I was through the week before. Its unusual to see a river with that color of green. I wonder if thats due to geology or mining? Don't worry about the climbing stuff, us non climbers can always google that stuff if we're interested
huh.gif

Our Saturday was mixed spring rain showers with warm temps. It was perfect for touring by auto, jumping in and out to check out the sights, but retreat when it got wet.

We walked through Goodyears Bar, admiring the victorian cabins and their veggie gardens and three story, somewhat ramshackle St. Charles Hotel. I fantasized about an empty lot with a For Sale sign. The fruit trees and daffodils were in full bloom, with petals blowing in the brisk spring wind.

I was looking for the terminus of the North Yuba Trail, established by a friend, Bill Haire, retired USFS, Downieville Dist. I had ridden my bike on this trail, almost ten years back on a cold Christmas Day, and I knew the seven mile long trail ended at Goodyears Bar. We scampered up a use trail heading uphill above Mountain House Road, to find a ditch diverting water to the town. We walked the ditch admiring the ingenuity of the miners, who freely diverted water to meet their needs. Eventually the ditch ended at a neighbors pump house, and we followed our noses uphill to find the trail I was seeking. The weather turned and we had miles to go, so we followed the trail back to the road, uphill from town about a quarter mile.

We drove up Mountain House Road, the old wagon road from Downieville to Henness Pass. The road switched back and forth, but was graded. I remarked how deeply the uphill side had been excavated, then looked at the slope below to see how steep the slope was. It must have been quite a feat to dig this road with mules and human, likely Chinese or possibly Irish, labor. Nearby Foote's Crossing on the Middle Yuba was locally famous for Italian stonemasons who built that precipitous road!

Following the wagon trail up the 1,800' climb we noticed watering stations, along the side of the road.

The summit intersects Henness Pass and Mountain House Rd. The Ruby Mine has done some road work too. I wanted to visit Forest before we went to Camptonville, but the rain shut use down, so I only shot from the vehicle.

I feel a connection to Forest. I have a friend who pioneered the mountain bike community up there. Zach has built a lot of trails (literally to this day) and worked to restore the town. Forest sits on USFS land with leases for the cabins. I almost went in on one, but other friends did make the plunge and have restored several cabins. Twenty years ago, it was a druggy backwater with skinheads living in several of the cabins. Today it is partially restored with an alliance with the Forest Service and the locals. The junk has been removed and most of the history is in a state of suspended animation. We did see some dude with his metal detector cruising the picnic grounds, which worried me since this place is a historical treasure.

Back down the sloppy, serpentine road we slipped to find Henness Pass. Judging by the tracks, only a motorcycle had gone before us through the monster puddles filling the road. We stopped at Gleason Camp to see the remains of a trailer.

And another decaying watering trough. I remember reading that Henness Pass was being run night and day during the Comstock strike in Virginia City. What teams of mules and horses must have quenched their thirst on this high mountain ridge!

Yes, your work was along side some pretty big names there in the Mt Gear catalog. Congratulations!

I don't want to get technical here (well, really I do), but I thought Robbins' Galibiers were blue with very stiff welted sole, not soft with smearing soles, as are the shoes in the top-roped 5.10 pic.

'prolly right, Stew! ;)

'prolly right, Stew! ;)

They might be pre-EB, such as PAs or RPs or some other French climbing shoe. By the early '80s I had a sticky pair of Fires. :)

Resuming the TR . . .

The misty clouds were hanging over the 5,000 ridge line we were following. We stopped at Cemetery Hill, but saw no markers.

Our travels along Henness Pass brought us to Camptonville. I have friends who grew up there, but have never visited, even though it's only a short distance off Hwy 49.

The town has a few blocks, and some commercial including a restaurant called Bergie Dave's at the Mayo.

They were open! We checked out the bar and took a menu. I think we'll bring Mom for a visit in June. The local dogs came by in groups of three and four, keeping our Callie busy.

Bergie Dave recommended we talk a stroll around the town and visit the historical cemetery. It's fun to trace the family names, some of which are still present in our community.

The views were spectacular looking south towards North San Juan.

Soon enough it was time to head back up 49 to Downieville to catch another evening of films. But first I had one particular waterfall I wanted to photograph.

Last year on the Winter Fun Festival historical run we went up to Forest City with a USFS archaeologist. Fascinating stuff up there. The dance hall is now a museum. Not sure how often its opened up. The scary part of the lecture was learning just how much mercury is in the creeks up in that area. Don't drink the water. At one time Henness pass received serious consideration as another major route over the Sierras (think paved highway).

Thanks for the trip report. Love that area.

Andy, great pictures and report, thanks !!
Where might I ask is the waterfall?? I'm in that area often and don't remember seeing the falls :oops:

Andy, great pictures and report, thanks !!
Where might I ask is the waterfall?? I'm in that area often and don't remember seeing the falls :oops:

Blink, and you might miss it too! :eek:

It's actually a small amount of water, but my wide angle makes it look big.
I mostly liked it for the incredible, chartreuse moss that grows there.

This was the first trip for my new-fangled Canon 6D which has internal GPS, so I can say it should be located at 39°29'58" N 121°0'32" W
(Using Lightroom 4 is awesome, because it has a map function that plots my photos on google maps)

More simply put, the falls are on your right side, just before you get to Indian Creek, about half a mile south of where 49 crosses the N. Fork of the Yuba. You can drive right up to it.

Blink, and you might miss it too! :eek:

It's actually a small amount of water, but my wide angle makes it look big.
I mostly liked it for the incredible, chartreuse moss that grows there.

This was the first trip for my new-fangled Canon 6D which has internal GPS, so I can say it should be located at 39°29'58" N 121°0'32" W
(Using Lightroom 4 is awesome, because it has a map function that plots my photos on google maps)

More simply put, the falls are on your right side, just before you get to Indian Creek, about half a mile south of where 49 crosses the N. Fork of the Yuba. You can drive right up to it.

Thanks Andy, I'll find it. Must have driven by it many times and never seen it :oops:
I have GPS on my Nikon, and am a CS-6 user..

Thanks again..
Bob

Wonderful Lighthawk! Thanks for reminding us that we should spend some time up that way and we should make the film festival. We really enjoyed the photos and report! Glad that Callie is still having so much fun.

Back
Top Bottom