Simple Electrical question....I am confused.

DavidGraves

Howdy

In my factory stock 2019 Grandby Shell I relocated my house battery and extended leads to do so.

Are the leads at house battery Red positive and Black Negative ?

If I can get this answer I will next ask the stupid question....

Many thanks

David Graves

DavidGraves said:
Howdy

In my factory stock 2019 Grandby Shell I relocated my house battery and extended leads to do so.

Are the leads at house battery Red positive and Black Negative ?

If I can get this answer I will next ask the stupid question....

Many thanks

David Graves
Correct. Red positive. Black negative

Thanks

If I wire a separate appliance, 12V Refer in this case, DIRECTLY off house battery is that a problem (or worse) for camper battery separator ?

Somewhere I have read that Black wire in RV is not always negative.

Thanks for any insight .

David Graves

Yes Thanks Les..... I have an inline fuse planned sufficient to appliance,

Do you know if the battery separator will care ?

David

It won't care. All it cares about is the incoming voltage from the truck's alternator.

The battery separator really separates the whole camper DC system from the truck electrical system. What you are proposing is typical from a schematic sense, although if you had a lot of connections to make you’d use bus bars.

A couple of cautions about wire color on these campers:

1) The wire that FWC runs from the truck connector to the battery separator and negative bus bar is triplex jacketed, and mine was wired black positive, white negative, green for running lights.

2) The 120VAC wiring normally is black hot and white neutral.

Thanks Jon

I noticed that in my truck connector lead also.

It is part of what got me concerned.

So, will the battery separator separate house load from the truck battery whenever house battery gets down to some preset voltage ?

Have you been camping much with the new rig ?

David

Hi David,

A simple battery isolator is.a relay (switch) that is opened or closed based on the truck side voltage. It is intended to connect your truck battery and alternator to the camper battery only when the truck side voltage is above a certain level that corresponds to the truck running and the alternator is delivering enough current to keep the voltage up at the isolator.

There are devices like you are thinking of that disconnect a load or battery to prevent excessive discharge, but that’s not exactly the purpose of the isolator FWC installs.

We’ve had the new Grandby out several times, but not nearly enough. Partly that’s been due to inability to get away from work and home obligations, and partly due to campgrounds being reserved out. Hopefully September and October will be better. I need to get going exploring remote camping options.

12V polarity seems to be inverted at the cigarette lighter type fixtures in my 2019 Grandby shell.

Spent the afternoon trying to sort out an electrical 2 pin plug for my Dometic before finally realizing this.

I guess someone who works on RV's all the time would know this kind of stuff.

David

David - does your shell have a main battery cutoff switch and a fuse block like the more equipped models? If so, it might be worth the extra wiring effort to wire the fridge to the fuse block and maintain the single main cutoff scheme.

Also, if you have a shore power converter, it will be wired to the fuse block side of the main switch. Your main switch will cut off both the battery and the fridge from shore power if you wire the fridge directly to the battery.

Back
Top Bottom