Simple Wiring Check

Stereo

Advanced Member
I have a Dometic 2193 3-way fridge. 12v is not working. (I know the caution around running down my house battery if I run it on 12v for long.) I suspect it's the wiring but I'm a newbie when it comes to 12v wiring.

Here's the wiring diagram:
1723148972002.png

Strangely, the diagram doesn't show the wires coming into the block, but of course they're the main positive and negative wires as pictured here:

Wiring terminal block.jpg

I'm not familiar with this type of terminal block but I would think there are internal connections only from left to right (not diagonally) so it appears I don't have a complete circuit since the black wire going to the switch is not opposite the (main) negative wire. Perhaps someone disconnected the 12v circuit to avoid bumping the switch (easy to do) and running down their battery. If I'm right, I assume that I need to move the black wire up so that it's opposite the negative wire to complete the circuit. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to short anything out.

I also need an education on electricity flow. Based on the wiring, power first goes to the heating element and then to the switch. Of course, it won't turn on until the switch is activated to close the circuit, but why don't the designers send power to the switch and then to the heating element?

The same mystery-to-me is evident on the 120v side: The power goes through the switch to the heating element but the thermostat is wired through the neutral side of the wiring (though there's a tandem switch for both the power-in side and the neutral return side after the thermostat). I would have thought that power would go to the switch, then the thermostat, then the heating element and then return through the neutral side. Why is it wired in the sequence that it is?

1723150913087.png

Thanks for your help!

Black wire in 120v domestic wiring is hot. In your diagram both hot and neutral go through the wiring block and the switch (nice feature that). The hot/black goes through T-stat before heading off to the heating element.

RV wiring can use black as hot too. Or not. Very confusing! Check with a VOM if you are concerned about shorts.

Back
Top Bottom