Single Battery

Quint

Advanced Member
I am running my ATC Bobcat shell with a single battery, the truck battery under the hood. My camper has the lights and the furnace that run off the battery. I don't use it for any other electrical in the camper. I have a standard Intersate battery that is wire to the camper connector in the bed. I was told it should be ok to run the furnace for single nights. I also carry a battery charger that I can use IF the battery runs down. My question since I'm charging and dis-charging this battery should (or can) I replace my truck battery with a deep charge battery like an Optima or something else to avoid wearing out the battery from both starting the truck and using my camper? Can deep cycle batteries be used as a primary auto battery? Thanks.

Battery

Good question. I just phoned Interstate and they told me that the usual problem with running a deep cycle battery would be cold cranking amps. He is checking as I type to see what the CCA's are of the battery that we use. He did mention that a lot of people use the deep cycle on boats to run things and to start them and I can testify to that but I always had two batteries in my boat. I ran electrics on one and when I went to start to the boat I switched over to use both batteries and most people that I know with boats have the same set up.

He would not suggest using one on a diesel motor anyway. He just called back and said that the battery we use tested out at 489 CCA's. Not a lot to try to start a motor, especially in cold weather.

So the bottom line I would say is, not a good idea unless you can find one with at least sufficient CCA's to start the truck. Of course the next questions is, how many CCA's is needed? I have no idea. I would go by what a normal battery has, most them have it listed on them and work from there.

I hope some of this helps.

I use a deep cycle as my primary battery

I happen to have a second battery connected in such a way that I only use it when I need an extra boost to start the engine. My primary battery is a deep cycle that I usually use for starting the truck and running the camper (lights, water pump, furnace) and after 4 or 5 days of parked camping, it's good enough to start the truck. If I stay in one place for 7 days I usually need the second battery.

Ok. If I was to try a deep cycle battery. Which brand and model would you recommend Optima Yellow? It's listed as a "dual purpose" battery for both starting and deep cycle. It looks like they have 650 cca. Is this a deep cycle battery enough cca for starting my Nissan Frontier day in and day out as a primary battery? Any other brands I should consider or should I just keep the regular Interstate starter battery and "wait and see" how it performs for the lights and heater? Again, I usually don't stayed parked in one place for more than one night without driving between camps and re-charging the truck battery.

battery

Sounds like the optima would work. If your moving that much though, I really don't think you will have a problem with the truck battery. I noticed that you said you do have a charger in case there is a problem.

Personally I would give it a try and see how it works before I spent the money on an optima.

Hi Quint,

If your Interstate battery is fairly new then I would take the wait and see approach. Since you say you will drive someplace every day. Carry a volt meter and jumper cables just in case. The heater will be the big drain on the battery. I don't think I would try starting the truck in the cold morning at the same time the heater is running. When the heater cycles off the battery will bounce back some voltage wise, but some of your storage will be gone. But for one or two days you should be fine.

Start shopping now for what you will need to replace the Interstate battery later.

I have had very good luck with Optima batteries. When I bought my Blue Tops they had one for starting and one for deep cycle. I have one of both. These were almost the same as the Yellow tops except for how the cables attached.

Now I see that they do have a combo Yellow top for start/deep cycle on thier web page. http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_edge/technical_specs.php

Heater drain

The heater is not that big a drain on a battery. It states it has a 4.6 amp draw. That is per hour supposedly and I believe that is the starting amps for the fan. Once it is running I believe it is lower, but just for argument, lets say it does draw 4.6 amps continuous. The heater never runs for more than 10 minutes to heat up the camper. Again though, lets say it does run for 15 minutes and has to run twice an hour to keep up with the conditions you are in. That is a draw of 2.3 amps per hour. If you sleep 8 hours that is a draw of 18.4 amps through the night. If you are moving every day that should be no problem. If you are staying in the same spot overnight again, I would start the truck for awhile to recharge the battery.

I usually camped out for 3 days in one spot and 4 on occasion. Although I had an Aux Battery in the camper, it never dropped below half in that amount of time. That was with the heater running at night and in the morning when I woke up. Lights going in the morning (yes it is normally dark out when I awake) and a cell phone charging if I am in a service area. Lights also used for about 3 hours at night to read and an hour or so in the morning.

If you are looking for a heavy duty battery for either the truck or the camper the only way to go is with an AGM(absorbed glass matt)battery. The have more CCA than a deap cycle battery, more reserve amps, and will take a discharge better.

Google AGM Battery and you will see lots of great info. I have been using them for 6 or 7 years now and would not think to use anything else.

Here is a good link http://www.westcobattery.com/

Sounds like the optima would work. If your moving that much though, I really don't think you will have a problem with the truck battery. I noticed that you said you do have a charger in case there is a problem.

Personally I would give it a try and see how it works before I spent the money on an optima.
That's my inclination also, just make sure it's a dual-purpose marine starting/deepcycle battery (true regardless of whether you decide to get an AGM or a flooded lead-acid [FLA] battery).

AGMs are supposed to get twice the life of an FLA, but generally cost more than two FLAs because of competition, I guess, in the FLA arena. Where AGMs really shine is when you want to mount one sideways in an unvented area or something like that.

I put an optima yellow top in my 99 tacoma w/ a few mods to make it fit at the right level. I run flourecent lights, an atwood 1.8 amp draw heater (model 8012) that I installed, and charge camera/laptop batteries. I've stayed put for three days high in the sierras (cold nights) w/ wife and daughter. Didn't have any problems. I also carry a 15a solar charger to charge the batts if I'm stationary...

Hayduke!
Hey welcome back...haven't heard from you for a while....good to see you post.
Brian in NM

Brian, Thanks. Actually, I have been reading posts regularly all this time. Just haven't posted or put my two cents in. My camper has been off my truck since last Oct. She's going back on in April and I will be taking Trips after that. Hope things are good.
Hayduke

Hi,
I have been looking at these and am planning to buy three...two of the size for my motorcycle/sidecar and one as a house battery for my Subaru "micro-camper" that I plan to use for sleeping in on some trips....I need the CPAP at nights and a second battery for that.

They are way cheaper than an Optima and are AGM batteries...I don't know much about them but will stop there in a month or so to check them out. Does anyone know of them?
Brian in NM

Something to think about - I run a single battery in my truck camper too. This is after 40 years of boating with dual battery systems. It easier to keep one battery and one charging system working. Most of the time I buy used batteries for about 20 bucks. With an old battery to exchange, it comes out to 10 bucks to replace my battery. Over the years, I have learned that a good used battery tested under a 100 amp load is better than most new batteries. At the used battery store, I go down the line of a dozen used batteries with the load tester and pick out a good strong one. Testing several batteries together, it is easy to see which one is strongest. In contrast, new batteries are sold without a testing and comparison process. The buyer does not know what he is really getting.

My truck has a manual transmission, so I can push it off. I carried a spare alternator on our Alaska trip this year. I believe a second alternator is more important than a second battery. I also carried a fully charged motorcycle battery that can be used to run the truck once it is pushed off … to get me into town.

FWC/ATC come from a minimalist camper philosophy. Elaborate electronics with high electrical consumption does not truly conform to keeping things simple. Whereas loading the camper on a truck with no battery to mess with does. Plug in the camper and go.

Back
Top Bottom