Ski and snowboard storage in/ on FWC hawk

Doff

Advanced Member
Hi all
This is our first winter with our camper. We plan to use it a lot at our local ski mountain. I was wondering if anyone has tips for how they store and transport there skis and boards in or on their camper? We used to just put them in the bed of the truck or on the roof of our other car. I don’t want to just toss them in the camper, it will make the inside a wet mess. Its too much of a hassle to put them on/ off the roof of the camper. And I’ve been looking for hitch racks, but haven’t found any. Any suggestions?

I just bought one of those telescoping ladders (8.5') and plan on using a rocket box on the roof. Our Hawk has the Yakima track system.

Previously, I've brought our XC skis on a number of trips and tucked them into the couch after knocking the snow off. We have a table with a post bolted to the front face of the couch, so things I put on the couch tend to stay there. I'm sure there must be hitch racks out there, but then it would block access in/out of the camper. Some bike racks articulate to the side, so maybe that would work.

Same here with my backcountry skis [2 sets]....not on roof, too much of a hassle and no room [160&170 solar panels] plus would shadow panels even if I had room.. reluctant to also add anymore weight to roof! I also bought the telescoping ladder, but to shovel snow off roof and panels.

I bag the skis and place them between side window and side table [side dinette] when traveling and if need be they would fit up front wedged into Tundra AC or depending on conditions, outside bunged to back of Hawk using a climbing step on back wall once parked and top is lifted.

My skis run 178cm or so and too tall to mount vertically on jacking plates...more to "earning your turns" than "skinning up"....hey, nobody said it would be easy! :rolleyes:

I mounted Yakima cross bars to the rear outside wall of my old Hallmark camper. I cut the bars down to about 24”. (Ran bolts through the rear wall with very large washers on the inside.) I put a sandwich-style ski rack on in the winter. Kept my skis in a bag and hung them vertically on the ski rack. Tips would stick up a bit over the roofline. Ski bag kept my skis clean from road grime. Then in the summer I put two fork-mount bike trays on and hauled the mountain bikes vertically off the back. Plan to do the same when my Raven finally arrives!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom