Slide out Cabover Bed Modification

eelgram76

Hi All - new to the forum. I have been renovating a 1980s? Grandby I picked up on craigslist six months ago. Will post a full build thread soon as i think i'm nearly done; that said, my work is nothing in comparison to what I have seen on this forum, which has been of indispensable value.

Now, a question for those more structurally inclined than me. The older Grandby I have does not have the extended cabover, so I decided to add a sliding bed tray that would extend further into the camper.
[post='bed'][/post]

I am supporting the plywood decks with 1/8in angle iron (similar to the way FWC does it.) In my initial load tests if I really bounce on it I am able to rip the screws for the angle right out of the bottom of the plywood. I actually had a similar problem with the angle aluminum on the initial bed after i removed the angle to clean the wood and replace fabric.

[post=''][/post]

My question is, what do you think the best remedy is? I'm considering using construction adhesive along with the screws, or putting a few bolts with fender washers all the way through the plywood so that it can't rip through. I'm leaning towards the latter at this point. Thanks for the help and look forward to spending more time on the forum.

Best,
Eric

If there is a quality construction adhesive that will bond steel to wood I'd try it. Might also increase the number of screws spread over the distance. Say one every two to three inches as a WAG. Might also see if you can find "T-nuts" in a screw size that works for you. With 1/8" ply more, smaller screws is the direction you'll have to take for the anti-rotation tangs on the t-nuts to be short enough.

If the angle is wide enough and the screws small enough might try a zig-zag pattern instead of a straight line of screws. This is a common thing to do with rivets in light aircraft construction. A place like Wicks or Aircraft Spruce will even have a special tool just for laying out this pattern.

Alternately might look into building a "fabricated I-Beam" type of small structural support entirely out of wood and adhesive. Use the Ply for the top flange and find a suitable species for the bottom flange, with 1/8" ply for the web.

What about using the wood rails like FWC and the same thickness of the slide out that FWC uses? Maybe I didn't fully understand what you were doing. Hopefully you will come up with the solution. jd

I would drill right through the angle and plywood and put small carriage bolts on. You aren't going to pull them out.

I think i'm going to try the carriage bolt / elevator bolt route first. Will let you know how it goes.

Hey Eric,

Welcome to the forum!

On your bed slide, have you considered staying with wood supports vs angle iron?

You could use a couple of oak 1x3" boards in place of your angle iron, glue them thoroughly, and air gun staple them from the top. Spanning the crossways width of your bed, I think they'd be plenty strong joined with the plywood.

If your bolt idea doesn't work, there's you another option.

Good luck,

Poky

Back
Top Bottom