Small off road cargo trailer?

Northforker

We are currently full time 5th wheelers and while that is a big downsize from our sticks and bricks, the truck camper is a much smaller unit.

We are going to buy a truck camper for 4-8 week trips from our base to adventure/fishing/hunting/hiking spots that the 5th wheel would not be ideal for.

We are trying to decide whether we need a cargo trailer for bicycles, small gas grill, kayak, fishing gear, portable black water tank, extra clothes, backpacking gear, extra cookware, extra canned goods, small chest freezer, etc.

I like the idea of being a minimalist and being able to go wherever the 4x4 truck will take us, however, I also realize that getting there without any of the toys/tools necessary to enjoy the destination really defeats the purpose.

I'm thinking a 7' x 12' as the MAXIMUM size, it would be even better with a 6' x 9'.

Two axles ride better on rough ground?

So, how about some advice???

If you're going into truly rugged country, I suggest a real expedition trailer. There are several folks that build them, but Ruger is the only one that comes to mind right now. You can google and find other builders.

http://www.rugertrailers.com

A single axle trailer will be easier to handle and maneuver.

Everything you mentioned plus more is all in or on top of my FWC Grandby except the bikes and they go on a Yakima Swingdaddy.

Lower priced than AT (no idea about the others), but harder to find are the venerable 1/4 ton military trailers. U.S. M-416 & Canadian M-101 (not to be confused with the much larger U.S. M-101). Might look around the Steel Soldiers forum for info and trailers.

I will suggest avoiding any trailer that doesn't have shocks on it and any trailer that uses the typical short trailer leaf spring.

I expect you'll find that any conventional trailer, no matter what dimensions, will leave you disappointed in how little rough ground it may cover. Breakover angle, approach angle, departure angle, and minimum turn radius (hairpins and switchbacks) will likely all be pointed limitations.

An "expedition trailer" or "adventure trailer" with large tire/wheels and with the bed and springs well over top of the axle is all I'd consider if I wanted a highly capable trail runner.

Foy

Just depends on how rough you are going to go. For what you have listed even a HF trailer would do.

Harbor Freight trailer in the rough.

Yep it's hard to argue with an M416 for general and off road use. The problem is they have become popular with the "overlanding" crowd. Too many get hacked up into Expo trailers and then sold shortly there after. The prices have gone through the roof. $1,000 buys you a rusted junker now a day's.

I've had mine for over 30 years.

It get's used hard and often.

Here is a good place to watch for them along with CL. I've seen several for sale lately.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/99-Expedition-Campers-and-Trailers?s=9551c64bb08bd91c022596e3a1e474b4

Small trailers are a pain in the rear to back up with a FWC on the truck. Get the widest and longest one you are willing to tow.

Bwht4x4 said:
Small trailers are a pain in the rear to back up with a FWC on the truck. Get the widest and longest one you are willing to tow.
My secret for that: Make a small correction then come back to straight. Keep "jabbing at it" until it's going where you want it to. Low range makes things even easier.

ntsqd said:
My secret for that: Make a small correction then come back to straight. Keep "jabbing at it" until it's going where you want it to. Low range makes things even easier.
Yeppers! Me too.

I haven't tried it yet but I could see my M416 getting lost from the mirrors behind my FWC.

I have a 4X7 made from 2.5t GI side boards that gets lost behind the camper. I figure if I can't see it, its mostly going straight. :) I need to get on installing the rear view camera. Plan is to use it as a center rear view "mirror" by having it on all of the time.

I've used a Sportsrig trailer for a number of years and it has worked well for me, but rock crawling is something I try to avoid. With the tongue extension it backs like a dream even with my FWC. I haul kayaks, a pontoon boat, a large al gear box, and sometimes pottery clay. sportsrig.com. Great ground clearance and super easy to detach and move around by hand if you get in a jam.

I'm in the same boat, basically so I can take motorcycles with me. I'm most likely going to go with something like the one shown below. It will be large enough to take two smaller cycles, or one large one, have an outside kitchen (the side door), and room for propane and a small suitcase generator. Kayaks and stuff can go on top to keep it off the camper/truck. So far, the company has been great to work with and I'll put the same tires on it that I'm putting on the truck.

Don

-

Thanks OC, and yes, Montrose trailers. I'm going to put a deposit down on one beginning of January. 6.5' wide by 10' long. Recessed axles so the wheel track matches the truck.

Don

-

elmo_4_vt said:
Thanks OC, and yes, Montrose trailers. I'm going to put a deposit down on one beginning of January. 6.5' wide by 10' long. Recessed axles so the wheel track matches the truck.

Don

-
Ballpark prices for Montrose trailers? I haven't seen any listed.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom