small portable fishing boat/ pontoon alternative - Sea Eagle Packfish 7

Vic

camping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range
Hi all - I've been pondering picking up a small inflatable type watercraft this summer for some of the smaller water that's around (think Manzanita lake for instance, but also Milton, Hobart, etc). I've got the hard shell kayaks and rack on the camper but this would be more for solo fishing trips so something I can easily store in the back of the crew cab or even the Wrangler and easily get down to the water (or back up at the end of a long day)

I've been planning on a pontoon like the Classic Accessories Colorado, but saw and add for this guy and was thinking this might be a good alternative.

https://www.seaeagle.com/FramelessFishingBoats/PF7

Any thoughts?

Why I like a float tub with a really good fin design...I sit lower in the water and use my legs to move me around. That leaves my handsfree to have a fly rod in my hands. That means while putting around I can feel anything happening on at other end of the line. That is just me...

I borrowed an inflatable kayak from a friend. I wasn't impressed. Since then I've been wanting an inflatable stand up paddle board. Smaller to pack than a kayak and very rigid and depending on the design quite stable. Not as much as a boat/hull of course. I don't plan to use it for fishing but have seen pics of people using them in that way.

That Hornbeck is pretty cool. Light too. Very spendy!

We used to be Folbot devotees but wound up doing 1,000's of miles down whitewater rivers over many years. (Including four 18 and 21 day trips down the Grand Canyon.)

But then last week on a business trip to Florida Sioux and I rented a 2 person hard kayak for birdwatching and marveled how much we enjoyed it. BUT the all-day paddling really messed up my tendinitis...

So today we went into the local rafting shop to buy some straps for an upcoming whitewater trip with our cataraft. Two hours we left with this baby and 3,300.00 (including tax) poorer! I'm not a fisherman but they say fishing guides love them.

It does fold up but makes for a really big package. I think my dreams of a regular cab for the next flatbed camper build just got squashed! :)

Steve

Howdy

The search for a take along watercraft becomes a real issue for true campers who like to get away from the crowds.

We have owned Klepper folding kayaks for years and, while they are remarkably able sea boats and fun to just poke around a lake with, the time and fuss to assemble them just to paddle a lake is a bit of a pain.

Applying Davids' third Law of Boating Fun Quotient, we are now gonna drag along a 11.5 Livingston boat for a few trips.

Livingstons' have the advantage of being very tough, very cheap on the used market AND being very light to trailer or launch even without a ramp.

The catamaran hull shape makes them very stable for poking around and pretty safe if you set low in the hull during a blow.

We recently got a 12' footer that was even factory configured to Sail !

The advantage of dragging along a lightweight boat is that a lot of other toys ride in it and don't clutter up the camper....Livingstons were built as short as 7 feet.....probably light enough to roof top on a FWC.

Just some thoughts.

David Graves

PS I wish I could find a Livingston users forum but no luck yet.

Pushed 'submit' on the order for the Sea Eagle and will give it a try. The more I read about the rivers and creeks being blown out this year, I figure I'm going to try some of the smaller still waters and see how it goes. I'll update this after I give it a try - ETA is 6/1.

Well I "accidentally" bought a boat of sorts. Since I have Klymit inflatable pads in my camper and really like them I was on their eBay store yesterday and saw their inflatable dinghy/pack raft. Seeing the "make an offer" on there I threw out $100. Should have put a lower amount for the first try but they accepted my offer. Well now I need a packable paddle. It will see some action this summer in the Owens Valley.

I've seen people doing light rapids with them and also packing them with backpacking packs it isn't my primary goal. It is light and compact so it should be ok for my light use intent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322081718622?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Vic, you're going to fight the wind in a raft like this. I'd consider a good float tube first.
I'd be interested in what float tube you'd recommend (I'm on a wicked tight budget!)

buckland said:
I'd be interested in what float tube you'd recommend (I'm on a wicked tight budget!)
Watch Craigslist. I have an inexpensive basic tube that I traded for about 30 years ago. If you can find one, a U shaped tube that is easy to get into would be good. Remember to walk backwards with the fins on, otherwise it's embarrassing when you're trying to get up after tripping over the flippers.

I will indeed ... I am also watching for a beat-up 4x6 trailer onto which I will put the camper to move it about. So float tube open at the front and a trailer.... I like the idea of floating around ...fishing too...maybe even catching

Hello new to the forum & this topic caught my fancy. I just purchased a Sea Eagle PackFish7. Took it out on the Northern California Delta. I am experiencing a learning curve & it seems I need to take it out more. Just curious if anyone else has bought one & I wanted to read their experiences.

Back
Top Bottom