Snow in New Mexico or close to TX

XJINTX

I am looking to take my grand daughter camping the week between Christmas and New Year. My wife and I would LOVE to take her to a snowy area as she has never seen it. We are from central TX and she is born and raised in San Antonio.

Looking for place that is pretty certain to have snow and not a long trip. Does Cloudcroft, NM area have regular snow then? Any places in OK or AR that might?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance!!!

XJINTX said:
I am looking to take my grand daughter camping the week between Christmas and New Year. My wife and I would LOVE to take her to a snowy area as she has never seen it. We are from central TX and she is born and raised in San Antonio.

Looking for place that is pretty certain to have snow and not a long trip. Does Cloudcroft, NM area have regular snow then? Any places in OK or AR that might?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance!!!
Currently there is no snow in the Sacramento Mountains (Cloudcroft). The forecast calls for a few inches in the next week. PM me just before Xmas for the current conditions. I'll be on my way to Yellowstone on Xmas, so won't be much help after then.

XJINTX,
Sierra Blanc Peak at 12,000 ft. Ski Apache. 2-1/2 hours from El Paso and 18 miles NW of Ruidoso, NM in South Central NM. Ski Resort opens 12/9. I believe this is part of the Rockies. Great Sands National Monument is below the mountains. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

longhorn1 said:
XJINTX,
Sierra Blanc Peak at 12,000 ft. Ski Apache. 2-1/2 hours from El Paso and 18 miles NW of Ruidoso, NM. Ski Resort opens 12/9. I believe this is part of the Rockies. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app
Also near me. Ski Apache has next to no snow and no runs open, but if it stays cold enough they may be able to start making snow. Currently, Sierra Blanca is more like Sierra Beige. Hopefully there will be snow soon. I'll update if the forecast snow pans out.

longhorn1 said:
How about the Guadalupe Mtns up near El Paso?
This past May while traveling by motorcycle from NC to Baja, I stopped in Pecos, TX for gas. I had planned on heading north out of town and up into the Guadalupe Mountains. Camping for the night and then heading west towards El Paso. As I was filling up, the county Sheriff (not a deputy) pulled up to the next pump. I struck up a conversation with him about camping up in the mountains to the north. He strongly advised against such an idea due to both drug and human smuggling through the "corridor" as he called it. He said he only goes up there camping in large groups and well armed.

Now I have no idea if he was just trying to convince me to keep heading west on I20 to I10 or if there is a real problem up in the Guadalupes.

I have camped a lot north of Santa Fe and west of Los Alamos. Both are beautiful areas and I feel certain you will see snow during your travel/camping dates.

Should be a great trip this time of year!

longhorn1 said:
Great Sands National Monument is below the mountains. jd
Should be great this time of year!

You do not want to camp in the park or at the nearby FS campground in summer. Mosquitoes attack in cloud like formations. We were absolutely miserable. Had to stay inside the camper most of the time and kill the ones that made it inside the short time the door was open.

A Sacramento Mountains snow update: We had some snow earlier, then a warm spell and it all melted. There's a chance for a little snow tonight, but it may not amount to much since the system is moving quickly. Ski Apache has snow, but just at the resort.

The best bet for snow will be northern New Mexico. Red River might be a good place to head toward.

Back
Top Bottom