So. Cal. Rally

EdoHart

Grasshopper
For those who can't make the Hole in the Rock rally, I'm looking at something between Nov. 12-23 around the California/Arizona boundary not far from Lake Havasu. The Leonid meteor shower is predicted to peak around Sunday Night, November 18 (the Sunday before Thanksgiving). I spoke with lqhikers and he knows some abandoned rail lines (read rail biking) and 4x4 roads/camping on the "Old Bradshaw Trail" near Mountain Center, which is at the intersection of Hwy 74 and Hwy 243 about 13 miles south west of Palm Springs, CA.

I'm committed to meeting 2 other friends (the poor fellows don't own a FWC or ATC) a little south of Essex, CA prior to the peak of the Leonid Meteor shower. 4X4 is strongly recommended to reach that location, but when I was there in April, I saw a road that may have avoided the rough spot we went through with 4X4.

I'm open to suggestions, but I would like to meet near lqhikers neighborhood and explore the Old Bradshaw trail (I can't find that one on a map). Anyone who wants to go a little north for the Leonid's would be welcome.

Eddie, take a look at Kofa NWR. Pam and I were there last Nov and it was spectacular. Some rough roads and isolated areas we didnt go to because we were solo but once you get away from the motor homes and atv's its pretty cool.

Correction - Desert Center is in AZ

I found Bradshaw Trail and it heads out of Desert Center in Arizona, which is at the intersection of Hwy 10 and Hwy 177, not the one in California that I earlier referenced.

Kofa is sort of in the same area. The entrance is about 9 miles south of Quartzite. There are a number of isolated areas in the refuge.

Thanks chnlisle

Yeah, I found the Bradshaw trail when I was looking for Kofa NWR. Kofa looks like my kind of place. I suspect I'll check it out. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom