Solar Battery charging

captainphx

My camper has a solar panel. The camper is stored in the garage. Is the ambient light, from when the garage door is open occasionally, enough to provide a charge to the camper batteries?

My camper has a solar panel. The camper is stored in the garage. Is the ambient light, from when the garage door is open occasionally, enough to provide a charge to the camper batteries?

Probably not. Why not just plug it in? End of problem.

Probably not. Why not just plug it in? End of problem.

Yeah, that's what I'll do. I just didn't want the electrical cord running across the garage floor all the time.

Yeah, that's what I'll do. I just didn't want the electrical cord running across the garage floor all the time.

Get yourself one of these nifty devices and enjoy improved battery charging while plugged into shore power. Cheap and they work great!!

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2884/

Get yourself one of these nifty devices and enjoy improved battery charging while plugged into shore power. Cheap and they work great!!

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2884/

Thanks for that thread. I'll probably do that. I have two batteries in the camper, but it should still work, right?

Thanks for that thread. I'll probably do that. I have two batteries in the camper, but it should still work, right?

Yep, I have two batteries too.....works like a charm.

Plugging it in for a day once a month while in storage would be plenty to keep them happy.

I've thought a bit about this too. When we pick up the Grandby this spring and bring it home, it will live in a shed at the bottom of our yard when not in use (which isn't very often I hope!). The shed won't have electricity. I think what I will do is buy a little 20 watt solar panel (they are less than $60 from a discount solar store), mount it on the south side of the shed at the appropriate angle for our latitude and then just switch from the on-board panel to the small one when the camper goes into the shed. Then the charge controller can do the work and I don't have to think about it any more.

Anyone see a problem with this idea?

I've thought a bit about this too. When we pick up the Grandby this spring and bring it home, it will live in a shed at the bottom of our yard when not in use (which isn't very often I hope!). The shed won't have electricity. I think what I will do is buy a little 20 watt solar panel (they are less than $60 from a discount solar store), mount it on the south side of the shed at the appropriate angle for our latitude and then just switch from the on-board panel to the small one when the camper goes into the shed. Then the charge controller can do the work and I don't have to think about it any more.

Anyone see a problem with this idea?

Sounds reasonable to me assuming it gets some sun. For $55 you can even get a 40watt panel: http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Panels-&-Systems-Individual-Solar-Panels-20---50-Watt-%286%29/c1_25_40/p1401/Solar-Cynergy-40-Watt-12-Volt-Solar-Panel/product_info.html

Back
Top Bottom