Solar installation question

orion

Contributors
Hi -- I know there's lots of solar stuff on the forums already, and I've tried reading as much as I could, but I have a question still:

The "solar plug" on the roof of the newer FWCs, is that a regular MC solar connector? I guess I am wondering since it seems there are different kinds of solar connectors on the market, which one is the solar plug that FWC installs? And how do you all plug into it from whatever solar panel you purchase? Do the solar panel kits you buy online have the correct plugs to go into it?

Thanks
Keith

The FWC factory is constantly changing specs on what is installed on new campers. The only way we can answer your question is to see a picture of what is on YOUR camper.

Mine was not a standard mc4 connector. It was a sturdy waterproof design, just like item "D" in the following link. To get the right connector for your panel use item "E" from the link. That's what I used. It is 12 ga and plenty beefy for the task.

http://www.solarseller.com/low_voltage_dc_pumps__lvm__teel__accessories__plugs_and_extensions.htm

It is a simple matter to change the plug on the solar panel to fit the plug on your camper.

roof connector.jpg

Mine was not a standard mc4 connector. It was a sturdy waterproof design, just like item "D" in the following link. To get the right connector for your panel use item "E" from the link. That's what I used. It is 12 ga and plenty beefy for the task.
http://www.solarsell..._extensions.htm
It is a simple matter to change the plug on the solar panel to fit the plug on your camper.

Thanks for the link, leadsled.
I'd bought a set of these before, but I couldn't find/remember where I ordered them from -- and I need another set.
:)

Hey thanks leadsled- my connector looks like the one you posted (item E in the link).

I mixed up items "D" and "E"....but you understand what I meant.

"D" is the connector for your solar panel.

"E" is the roof mounted connector that FWC installed.

Yep, got it! Thanks!

Also, curious- when you installed your solar panel, how did you connect it to the aluminum roof? Did you use self tapping screws into the roof beams, or something else?

Also, curious- when you installed your solar panel, how did you connect it to the aluminum roof? Did you use self tapping screws into the roof beams, or something else?

Did you see the discussion going on right now about this in these posts on the Ultimate Solar Thread?
It was helpful to me. :)

Yep, got it! Thanks!

Explanation and pictures from my install are here:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4014/

I didn't want to drill any holes in my roof and possibly risk leaks in the future. The roof rack was already there so I utilized it for the solar panel.

Back
Top Bottom