Solar Synergy 120 Flexible panel mount

rustytinbender

Advanced Member
So I decided to add another solar panel - a Solar Synergy 120 watt flexible panel. Before I explain the mounting here is my solar history. I bought my hawk used in October of 2014. Over the winter I installed 2 Renogy 100 watt flexible panels - direct glued to the roof. They worked well for part of 2015 and then both failed. I tore them off during the winter (Renogy gave me a full refund) and replaced them with a rigid 160 panel (Mounting method was shared in a post back then)and a 50 watt rigid panel that I use as a portable that I can tilt. These have served me well but I decided I want a little more solar.... especially for the time I spend in Northern wisconsin in November when the days are short and you need a little more.

So my decision to add this panel and the mounting system was based on Zirdu's post

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/14865-flexible-solar-panel-installation/?hl=%20solar%20%20panel%20%20mount

I did make a few changes to the mounting method though. First of all for the base that mounts to the camper roof I used 3" pieces of 1x1 aluminum tubing... the were fasted to the roof with a couple of small pieces of vhb tape surrounded by 3M marine epoxy (the vhb tape is to hold it tight til the epoxy sets up. One important point to note is that I make sure I glue these to the roof directly over the support ribs underneath the roof skin. This is what I did with my rigid panel a couple of years ago and it has held up well.

Next I ran 1x1 tubing across these pieces side to side with aluminum channel running lengthwise from front to back. The tubing and channel is all from home depot with the channel being the type to fit over 3/4" plywood sheets. I did notch the channels so they fit flush and pop riveted everything together.

Then I used vhb tape and silicone caulk to fasten the solar panel to my channels and tubes, along with screws in the 6 mounting eyelets of the panel. a couple of photos are attached. IMG_0160.jpgIMG_0164.jpg

Back
Top Bottom