some questions as I outfit a fleet shell

hello everyone! Finally coming out of lurker mode now that I have a fleet and am starting to outfit it to my liking. I bought a shell model with the only options being the rollover couch, yakima tracks, cold pack and second roof vent. I figured we'd test it out and determine what we did and didn't need and I'd DIY it from there. Trying to take a phased approach as I go so I don't end up having to undo what I've done as I continue to add on.

A few questions....

I'm building a cabinet for a sink and may do a second for storage. I'd like to match the shell cabinetry to an extent, specifically the ring pull hardware. Anyone know where to get those?

Having enough on board water seems a challenge. My plan was to use 5 gallon jugs that store nicely in the bench under the couch. One jug would go in the cabinet I'm building to connect to the sink/pump, then swap out with a full one when it's emptied. Kind of a hassle but I'm open to other suggestions.

Seems like it would be a simple matter to attach a T to the outflow line from the pump for an outside connection like a shower hose. Where would I find something like the outside shower connection used by 4WC?

I'll be adding solar later, so I'm sure there will be more questions to come...

Thanks!

Get a couple of 4 gallon water containers with a spigot. After we winterize, we take the 4-gallon container, set it up on the counter. We also take a 2-gallon rodapax water container. Purchase Marine HyperVent for under the mattress to allow airflow. This will prevent condensation, wet bedding, damage to the overhang, and mold. Pull the bed slide out and cut the HyperVent off to match with the 1/2" edge of the bed slide.

You can also get a 7-gallon Aqua-Tainer that come with a spigot, but that will be heavier.

I use those blue 7 gallon Reliance aqua-tainers for home emergency water storage, and have used them for car trips/camping, and find that the spigots leak a bit if the container is used on its side as a spigot is intended. If I was using them for water storage in a camper I would use them upright only or else make very sure I had a properly sealed cap. The blue containers themselves have been tough and leak free for about 8 years for me so far. I've been pretty gentle on them, though.

I'll go a step further than Longhorn and say the 7 gallon containers are quite heavy and a bit awkward to lift when full. Consider who will need to lift or move them before you go with containers that big.

Jon R said:
I use those blue 7 gallon Reliance aqua-tainers for home emergency water storage, and have used them for car trips/camping, and find that the spigots leak a bit if the container is used on its side as a spigot is intended. If I was using them for water storage in a camper I would use them upright only or else make very sure I had a properly sealed cap. The blue containers themselves have been tough and leak free for about 8 years for me so far. I've been pretty gentle on them, though.
The plastic spigots that come with most plastic water jugs are junk. I buy a PVC plug (link to example, but cant remember what size) and install a quality brass spigot (link to example). On jugs in storage I use caps with plugs permanently glued in and will put the spare cap with a spigot on when I am ready to use it. I find that screwing the in the spigot (original or new one) will crack the cap over time.

Back to the OP's post I have several friends who use water jugs as you describe. Most have it attached to a whale foot pump. I 5 gallon jug will last several days with careful use.

If you are looking at outdoor faucets or showers I would recommend looking at marine grade components or be very picky and make sure you get good quality RV components.

Thanks for the tips! I'm familiar with the 7 gallon containers. I and my friends have use them for car camping but they're probably too heavy for the family rig and too big for the cabinet I'm building which will sit atop the low bench they put in the shell model. The 5-gallon ones I bought have a 3/4 threaded socket in the cap that you can use by cutting the plastic seal. Seems good way to go but making the connections from tube inside the jug, through the cap and on to the pump is something I'm still trying to work out.

Appreciate the link to the door pulls, Vic!

Back
Top Bottom