Southeast UT/Four Corners

brett13

Lovecock
Wanted to share a few pics from our UT/NM trip. Didn't run into KC, but we did stay at Jay's beach.

We got out through the 2' of snow once they opened the road. Actually, I-70 wasn't too bad except for a patch of hard pack before the Eisenhower tunnel that slowed traffic to a crawl for a while.
DSC01377.jpg

The dog loves the open road, but the wind noise gets to the wife so after a while I force the dog inside and roll up the windows. Lots of "nose art" to clean from the windows now.
DSC01501.jpg

Finally out in UT, "America's Outback", we scored a great spot northwest of Moab for the first night.
DSC01379.jpg

The weather was perfect- light to no wind, comfy temps, clear skies.

We headed south on 191 to the Needles area of Canyonlands. Of the dozens of trips to SE UT, we never really checked out rt 211 before. At Newspaper Rock, we stumbled upon someone's note for Alan, which made us laugh.
DSC01389.jpg

After exploring for a good part of the day, we settled on a nice spot in Indian Creek Pasture under the cottonwoods. A running creek, some shade and soft sand let me walk around in the creek for a while.
DSC01391.jpg

DSC01396.jpg

The next day we drove into Canyonlands by 8:30am to score a spot at the campground. We had checked out the campground here the day before and were suprised to find it one of the nicest NPS CGs we'd ever seen. Lots of privacy as each site is tucked into the rocks (sort of like City of Rocks) and several hiking trails accessible right from the CG. It was full, but noticed over a dozen sites were due to check out the next day. When we arrived at 8:30am however, none of the sites that had read "through 4/21" were there and all were taken for another few days. After talking with the ranger, we learned that people had been putting new tags under those of people about to leave, so sites were being reserved in a sort of black market way. I complained to the ranger about it and they told me the practice is discouraged. Ticked me off though.

Anyway, we decided to do some of the short hikes while it was still cool and the dog could stay in the car (windows open of course). This section of Canyonlands is really spectacular and we are going to go back without the dog sometime.
DSC01408.jpg

DSC01412.jpg

DSC01413.jpg

We decided on a whim to visit Bridges National Monument since the weather was perfect, the moon was new and Bridges is a dark sky park. The drive there is beautiful and there is lots of camping on the way, but we opted to try for the park itself.
DSC01414.jpg

We got lucky and scored one of the best out of the 13 (!) campsites there.
DSC01446.jpg

There is one short (1/3 mi?) trail from the CG to the visitor center which allows dogs, so we hiked her there. As it cooled off near sunset, we left the dog in the car and hiked one of the bridges.
DSC01422.jpg

DSC01429.jpg

While sitting in camp, some guy bothered us not once, but twice to pull the tag under your tag trick to reserve the spot. I complained to the ranger later the next day, but they don't seem to have any way of dealing with the problem. Try making some of the CG reservable maybe?:rolleyes:

The next morning, we hiked to another bridge. The vultures watched us as we explored some ruins on the way:
DSC01463.jpg

DSC01452.jpg

DSC01455.jpg

DSC01467.jpg

From Bridges, we decided to hit the beach, courtesy of Jay's suggestion. I shared it with KC before he left, we'll see if he made it. It is a wonderful, secluded spot that is easy to get to and hardly gets used. I think we'll keep it a secret unless one of you asks nicely.
DSC01487.jpg

DSC01474.jpg

DSC01475.jpg

DSC01492.jpg

DSC01499.jpg

The wind was picking up the next day to some 30-45mph gusts (right about the time KC was getting out there too!), so we opted to drive into northern NM for a last night, then onto Taos.

You can't be too careful around airports. One doesn't want to tick off the TSA or they might confiscate your nail clippers.:rolleyes:
DSC01500.jpg

A quick stop at the touristy and arbritrary Four Corners
DSC01507.jpg

And on to Navajo Lake State Park in NM, which is a neat high desert lake:
DSC01512.jpg

That's all we had time and weather for. Can't wait for the next trip!

Brett,
I enjoyed the travelogue and pix. Glad you liked Goldmine Camp on The San Juan. Our little secret for shizzle.

By the way the one day float trip from Bluff to Mexican Hat is a bit pricey but I think it's worth doing.

Great report and pics brett, glad you made it out of the snow, little or none here but windy and cool still. Thanks for sharing.

Brett,
I enjoyed the travelogue and pix. Glad you liked xxxxx Camp on The San Juan. Our little secret for shizzle.

By the way the one day float trip from Bluff to Mexican Hat is a bit pricey but I think it's worth doing.
Shhhh...don't give away the name;)

Very nice Brett. :thumb:

Unfortunately we didn't make it to Club Jay on the San Juan. We wound up further to the west, which I'll detail in another thread. But I'm glad you posted pics of the beach. Now I know for sure that I'll have to spend a night or two there myself sometime...

Looks like you stayed in my favorite campsite in Natural Bridges... the one at the beginning of their loop, just before the road turns left and circles around? A great spot with phenominal views of the Bears Ears off in the distance. I love the hikes in Natural Bridges. Crazy shots of the vultures lurking around... just in case you didn't bring enough water, lol!

Utah continues to be the gift that keeps on giving. Southern Utah should be at the top of anyone's list who truly desires to wander the west. It's that good...

Very nice Brett. :thumb:
Looks like you stayed in my favorite campsite in Natural Bridges... the one at the beginning of their loop, just before the road turns left and circles around? A great spot with phenominal views of the Bears Ears off in the distance.
Yep, site #4. Though #3 is pretty nice and could be the one you describe too.

^^
A buddy of mine in LA, tells me he can be in St. George, UT in 7 hours. An hour from St. George could find you in some amazing southern Utah country.

I'm just sayin'....

:cool:

Lets see 14 hours to Mattole Bch or 8 to S. Utah...Hmmmm is right!

TT

No kidding...It just don't seem that close. Even more motivation.

I volunteer to lead an expedition through S. UT next fall if anyone is up for it. Somewhere on the Grand Staircase perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom