Southeastern San Juan Mountains, CO & NM

Bosque Bill

After a long dry spell, literally and figuratively, here is a new adventure on Bosque Bill's Backroads travel & camping blog.

https://bosquebill.blogspot.com/2023/09/se-san-juan-mountains-co-nm-part-1.html

My camping trip up into the southern and eastern portion of the San Juans, west and east of Pagosa Springs. Plus a lovely piece of far northern New Mexico.

The narrative and photos are divided into three parts for easy consumption. Just follow the links.

Remember, click on any photo for a larger version.

Hmm. I probably should have made it more clear it was only hot the first day and very warm the second. The rest of the time it was very nice, though I never needed a jacket.

I loved your adventures in the eastern San Juans. Great photos of birds and dragonflies! I'm not sure you correctly identified that hairy woodpecker. I looked it up and certainly not the coloration and shape of one. It almost looks like a kingfisher! I used to have a yurt outside of Creede, CO on the top of the Batchelor Loop. There are lots of boondocking sites in that area.

Thanks Bill I always like your adventures.You post beautiful photos of all the flora/fauna.
I really appreciate the time you spend sharing with us your trips.

We haven't done much traveling in your area but have enjoyed the couple times we had.
Frank

Cottonww said:
I loved your adventures in the eastern San Juans. Great photos of birds and dragonflies! I'm not sure you correctly identified that hairy woodpecker. I looked it up and certainly not the coloration and shape of one. It almost looks like a kingfisher! I used to have a yurt outside of Creede, CO on the top of the Batchelor Loop. There are lots of boondocking sites in that area.
Thanks. I am a little familiar with the Creede area and farther up the rio.

I have no doubts this was a woodpecker as I watched her for a few minutes. The photo is not typical as they rarely stand on top of a branch, usually they're on the side of the trunk or even under the branches. I saw several Belted Kingfishers up along the Piedra River.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom