Southern Utah

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Just an FYI: I'm heading to southern Utah for three weeks, leaving Bend April 18.
:)
My last visit there was in 2011.
I'm going to Canyonlands N.P. first -- it's been about 10 years since I was last there, gonna spend a few days, up to a week.
Then I'll be wandering west and south from there for a couple more weeks. Maybe Capitol Reef again, definitely Escalante again. Here and there...
If it turns out to be colder than I expect or snowy I'll probably drop down to Zion.

Southern Utah -- the whole swath from Zion to Arches -- is my favorite area!

Sounds great. We will be down in the San Rafael Swell (north of Temple Mtn) from Thursday till Monday - short trip, but better than no spring in the desert. Have a great time!

Taku said:
Sounds great. We will be down in the San Rafael Swell (north of Temple Mtn) from Thursday till Monday - short trip, but better than no spring in the desert. Have a great time!
Yeah, the San Rafael Swell and Reef area is cool, too...and nice to have the less-regulated freedom lacking in the N.P.s
Maybe I'll go there instead of Capitol Reef...

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
MarkBC,you might stop at Kodachrome Basin SP while you are in the area. There are some nice spots there.
Have a great trip. Hope the weather holds for you.
Frank
I predict it won't be too many years (if not already) when travelers through that area will say:
"Why do they call it 'Kodachrome' Basin?
"I don't know...must be some Native American name."

Thanks, Frank. :)

MarkBC said:
I predict it won't be too many years (if not already) when travelers through that area will say:
"Why do they call it 'Kodachrome' Basin?
"I don't know...must be some Native American name."

Thanks, Frank. :)
When it was BLM land back in the 50's the National G did a survey there and it just overwhelmed them so the got permission from Kodak to use that name.
It is a must see if you drive through.
Frank

Heading out today...eventually -- or so I plan. :rolleyes:
I need to be at the junction of US 191 and UT 211 by mid-afternoon Sunday -- 2 days from now, to meet up with a Colorado guy, so making progress today will leave Saturday and Sunday long but reasonable.
(a CO guy who's posted a lot of photos on WTW but not a lot of text lately)

This is my first choice of route:
Bend_to_191-211-Jct.jpg
1060 miles, according to MS Streets & Trips. The stretch from Bend to the NV/UT border is very familiar -- my route for many trips to the Great Basin N.P. area over many years.
But this scenic much-loved route is longer, a little slower, more climbs, than the alternative.

The alternative:
Bend_via-ID_to_191-211-Jct.jpg
925 miles, more of it high-speed Interstate (though I rarely exceed 70 mph in my truck-with-camper anyway, even when it's legal). Besides being less-scenic, this route has fewer options for boondock camping along the way, since less of it is middle-of-nowhere BLM/USFS than the scenic-longer route.

Whichever route I take today (or early tomorrow), I'll likely take the other route when I head home in 3 weeks.

It's all good! :cool: ...or so I've heard.

Smokecreek1 said:
...we are all waiting for your first TR installment...
Hey, I didn't even post a trip report for my last trip -- eastern Sierra October 2013...so no promises.
Can't take the pressure :oops:
;)

Back
Top Bottom