Spam eMails from WtW

Stew-
Were these spam emails notifications of new posts on WTW? Spammy new posts on a topic to which you'd posted before and were subscribed?
Several -- a lot -- of spammy posts were made in the wee hours of the morning and the night before. The posts have been deleted and the posters stopped.

Thanks for reporting these at any rate. I received similar emails last night/this morning, but only because I was subscribed to those threads. Spam posts on topics to which I and other Moderators are not subscribed can slip through so we need members to report anything weird they see.

A good way for members to report something weird/bad is to click on the "Report" link, which is visible dimly at the bottom of every post, and it becomes visible strongly when your cursor hovers over it.
Report-01.jpg
A "Report" will trigger a notification to an Administrator (Janet) as well as to us Moderators, so that makes it more noticeable by the people who NEED to know about problems with our site.

Thanks. :)

Thanks for the "report" location Mark,

I had a question regarding Spam...and policy regarding link postings...Doug knows about this one....the stainless link on the Alaskan forum......

I was just looking for the site policy regarding commercial link postings and stumbled on this thread....

before anything erupts on the Alaskan board

I don't think the Administration has an OFFICIAL policy regarding links to commercial sites, but the Site Team is currently discussing it after looking at the Stainless posting.

The policy may take the form of "OK to post text about -- with a link to -- commercial sites but not OK to copy/paste-post ads from commercial sites".

Like, it's probably OK for a member to post text like, "I just saw that Camping World has Fantastic Fans 50% off this week!" with a link to the CW page, but maybe not OK to post the Camping World ad itself.

I made use of such a "Fantastic Fan on sale" tip myself as well as tips about solar panels on sale.

As I said, we're discussing it...

I have a small forum just for my jetboating/fishing buddies (20 of us) and it's amazing how many registrations I get a day from spammers. I had to lock the forum down tight, create some instructions on how to register and have to approve anyone that tries. It's not even anything special but the spammers keep coming. I wish I was more savvy on this stuff and I don't know how the bigger forums keep them off the site. :(

Rusty said:
Thanks for the "report" location Mark,

I had a question regarding Spam...and policy regarding link postings...Doug knows about this one....the stainless link on the Alaskan forum......

I was just looking for the site policy regarding commercial link postings and stumbled on this thread....

before anything erupts on the Alaskan board
MarkBC said:
I don't think the Administration has an OFFICIAL policy regarding links to commercial sites, but the Site Team is currently discussing it after looking at the Stainless posting.

The policy may take the form of "OK to post text about -- with a link to -- commercial sites but not OK to copy/paste-post ads from commercial sites".

Like, it's probably OK for a member to post text like, "I just saw that Camping World has Fantastic Fans 50% off this week!" with a link to the CW page, but maybe not OK to post the Camping World ad itself.

I made use of such a "Fantastic Fan on sale" tip myself as well as tips about solar panels on sale.

As I said, we're discussing it...
This forum is and will remain a friendly spot on the web. From what I've read, members have experienced the "other side" on different forums and that is one reason this forum is appreciated. As MarkBC says, we are discussing it. I believe the original poster only wanted to share where he purchased items. Many of us have done the same and many of us have benefited by picking up on deals. I think only a link to a website would be more appropriate.

We're discussing it.

I have helped the original poster edit the thread. We appreciate that the general membership of this forum understands we site team members are participating members also. We volunteered to serve this role. We shy away from any kind of appearance as overlords or heavy handed action.

Doug Stewart said:
I got another spam email today.

Yeah, a spammer got through and made a few posts this morning before I caught and disabled them. The spammy posts have been removed.
You get an email notification when a new post is made on a topic/thread you're "following" (or if a new Topic is started on a forum-board you're following). If the new post is spam then the email notification will contain spammy content, though the email wasn't sent by a spammer.
Some Members have their settings such that they automatically "follow" any thread/topic on which they post.

If you don't want to automatically follow any topic on which you post (or if you don't want to receive email notifications), the screenshot below shows where you need to modify your settings:
WTW_follow-topic-01.jpg

How do you get to the Settings page? See the screenshot below:
wtw_My-settings-1.jpg
Click on your username in the upper right of any WTW screen and the drop-down menu will show "My Settings".

And if you want to see the list of topics that you're already following and for which you're receiving notifications -- and if you want to change which topics you're following -- click on the "Content I Follow" link in that same drop-down menu.

Thanks, guys.

Unfortunately, when it comes to spam it's an ongoing battle...there's always more spam :( ...LOTS of spam, as shown in this video:

Back
Top Bottom