Spring trip to Utah & New Mexico

Bosque Bill

Finally, I got out on the backroads and am able to post a new trip report. Maybe not ideal to publish on a holiday weekend, but wanted to get it out during the same month as I took the trip.

For this first post-pandemic trip I camped in northern New Mexico and southern Utah, and passed through a bit of northern Arizona.

The post is in two parts:

Angle Peak, NM; Arch Canyon, Starr Springs, Henry Mountains, and Burr Trail, UT
https://bosquebill.blogspot.com/2021/05/spring-utah-new-mexico-may-2021-part-1.html

Grand Staircase/Escalante National Monument, Smokey Mountain Overlook, and Manti-La Sal National Forest, UT
https://bosquebill.blogspot.com/2021/05/spring-utah-new-mexico-may-2021-part-2.html

I hope you enjoy the photos and the story of my journey.

Excellent photo-documentation of a wonderful trip Bill. I like your blog alot.

Thanks so much for a great report!

Last November we did some of the same trails that you did in part 2. One was Smokey Mountain Road but from Lefthand Collet Canyon. Those routes take some serious concentration in rigs like ours so your report gave me a new found appreciation for the route as seen from your description and photos.

We had the same experience when heading toward the Kelly Overlook in that we were beat and looking to camp. We found a spot away from the canyon off a side road. We did not have the views you did. But while hiking around our camp area, we came upon an amazing Petrified Forest! It’s a great area.

In the misery loves company category, even though it was cool at the time of year we went, in the back of my mind I thought the 2 way refer was running a bit more than it should but because of an up grade of the controller to a new Victron 30:100 along with upgraded panels I didn’t think too much about it. Fast forward to a trip to St. George area a couple of weeks ago. Because it was warmer, the refer was going quite a bit. Then in one of my old man trips out during the night, I look at the fridge and see light coming out the side of the door. Thought I was hallucinating from indigestion but oh no. The door wasn’t closing. Duct tape for the rest of the trip worked and now I’ve adjusted it.

Anyway thanks again!

Ron

Thanks Bill! What great photos. We just did a trip around Butler wash area the end of April and can’t wait to get back. Maybe poach some of your route?

Thanks for the TR and great pics. Re the paving of the Burr Trail, since the the Grand Staircase NM was shrunk in half in 2017, many of these scenic backcountry roads and lands have lost the protections of NM status and are now open to development. That being said I was told by the locals to avoid driving the "Hogback" at night - there is no margin for error!!
Looks like you had a great trip at the right time of year. Did you dine at Hell's Backbone Grill?

Bill,

Another thanks for a great trip report, and allowing us to be part. I always appreciate your photos, and commentary. Very well done!

Poky

Tony, Ron, JWL, Ronin, Frank, Poky, searching, WS, ski:

Thanks for checking out my blog and leaving your comments. I do appreciate it.

--

Tony, you have some beautiful photos on your Flickr page. I need to take some more time looking through them.
Ron, I enjoyed your fridge story. They're supposed to look at mine tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Ronin, I wasn't aware of the HBGrill, but it looks interesting, though probably won't be passing through Boulder between 4-9pm.

Thx for the great trip report. very informative. i thought the aerial photo of the camper with the 'fissures' around it, was great !

Getting on late here this time! Glad you made it out and about Bill! And glad you took us along--- it was a great TR and adventure! Compression frig's seem to act up once in a while and nothing worse than the dang thing running at night and sometimes I get tired of turning it down and if cold enough outside, I'll just turn it off. Still they are better than the old gas 3 way ones. Maybe that's why most of us still carry a cooler-never know when the thing will go out Anyway you had a good trip and came back alive and ready for your next one.

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
Getting on late here this time! Glad you made it out and about Bill! And glad you took us along--- it was a great TR and adventure! Compression frig's seem to act up once in a while and nothing worse than the dang thing running at night and sometimes I get tired of turning it down and if cold enough outside, I'll just turn it off. Still they are better than the old gas 3 way ones. Maybe that's why most of us still carry a cooler-never know when the thing will go out Anyway you had a good trip and came back alive and ready for your next one.

Smoke
Thanks, Smoke.

Local, mobile RV service came out on Tuesday to check out fridge. They couldn't really do much - these units are not serviceable, but seemed to agree with what I'd concluded, that the compressor system was malfunctioning. They checked with their distributor on cost of replacement, the CRX65. Turns out I could buy that unit online for less than half what their distributor would charge. Service guys volunteered to come back and do the replacement with the unit I would buy myself and not charge me for a second service call. More than fair. I ordered the unit and it should arrive next week. Anyone who needs RV service in central NM, message me and I'll share their contact info.

Bosque Bill said:
Thanks, Smoke.

Local, mobile RV service came out on Tuesday to check out fridge. They couldn't really do much - these units are not serviceable, but seemed to agree with what I'd concluded, that the compressor system was malfunctioning. They checked with their distributor on cost of replacement, the CRX65. Turns out I could buy that unit online for less than half what their distributor would charge. Service guys volunteered to come back and do the replacement with the unit I would buy myself and not charge me for a second service call. More than fair. I ordered the unit and it should arrive next week. Anyone who needs RV service in central NM, message me and I'll share their contact info.
Bill, I’m sorry you have to replace the refer, but I thank you for being willing to promote the services of the RV tech. Well done sir!

Back
Top Bottom