Springtime in Southern NM

brett13

Lovecock
Just a couple of quick shots from City of Rocks and Aguirre Springs. The weather turned and it got super windy, so it was a quick 4 night trip. No complaints though. Both of these places are new favorites for us, but we need to go back when it isn't windy season (spring in NM seems to be nothing but wind).

09-03NMcamping11.jpg

09-03NMcamping21.jpg

09-03NMcamping.jpg

09-03NMcamping31.jpg

09-03NMcamping37.jpg

09-03NMcamping62.jpg

09-03NMcamping66.jpg

sat_b.jpg

Nice photos! Did you get that pic of Saturn at City of Rocks? What was the setup; eyepiece projection from their telescope, or did they have camera adapters, or their own camera, or did you take your own telescope or what?

We've got high winds in southern NM again tonight, and with it a lot of dust. Typical springtime weather. One of my co-workers calls dust "enchantment", as in "New Mexico:Land of Enchantment".

Looks like I missed you buy a couple of days Brett.

"New Mexico:Land of Enchantment".

I'm preparing my lawsuit against the state of New Mexico for false advertising. It should read "New Mexico: Land of High Winds, Freezing Temperatures, Snow When You Least Expect it, and Deadly Winter Road Conditions in Late March" :D

Love City of Rocks though, absolutely fantastic State Park.

I'm preparing my lawsuit against the state of New Mexico for false advertising. It should read "New Mexico: Land of High Winds, Freezing Temperatures, Snow When You Least Expect it, and Deadly Winter Road Conditions in Late March" :D

You got snow? I'm envious. It must have been up north.

You got snow? I'm envious. It must have been up north.

Yeah it was up north. You wouldn't have wanted to be in this storm - NASTY road conditions.

When the winds get really nasty down here in S NM I console myself thinking about it being worse a few hundred miles N. Much of I40 was closed last week so wind here doesn't seem so bad:thumb:

Nice photos! Did you get that pic of Saturn at City of Rocks? What was the setup; eyepiece projection from their telescope, or did they have camera adapters, or their own camera, or did you take your own telescope or what?

Actually, I stole the Saturn pic from google somewhere. That's what it looked like kids, I promise. Didn't bring my camera to the scope though. Just wanted to share what a star party can do. That sky was fantastic. You could make out nebula with the naked eye and 12x50 binocs made it amazing. No moon and you could read by starlight. Truly awesome. I need to bring my scope down there sometime.

@DD- we went north to our place in Taos right before the snow. Got a nice dumping there, which is good.

Unfortunately, I left a can of soda on my drivers door. It froze and exploded all over the cab in the cold temps overnight (it was 10*F up there). I hope it doesn't stain the roof liner. Also need to find a way to drain my sink line. In case no one remembers, I built the sink cabinet and plumbed it myself, but didn't leave a way to really drain the line. Gotta figure that out.

We got yer "envious" this AM, highz..... 10 inches in about 3 hours

We've had a couple of feet up here this week. You beer drinkers would be in Heaven....it's like a big cooler out there...

That campsite in the City of Rocks? (pic 3) looks insane. Nice pics, thanks for postin'!

That campsite in the City of Rocks? (pic 3) looks insane. Nice pics, thanks for postin'!

Believe it or not, there were two RV's about 40 yards over those rocks to the left and a converted bus 40 yards to the right. The beauty of this place is that others can be close, but you have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom