Stabilize jack stand on dirt how?

hoyden

Lady Bug
I want to take my camper off for the first time!
I have a (huge!) back yard now, but no concrete, just yard.
What can I put under the legs to stabilize it so it doesn't sink into the ground?

Thanks!

u0dSOIBBvpOWv8G7aegFjL0oxjPa2fMaguUK41mQlXrZNMZ9du5WrTcRz_vAYlQ1s0lTyHmCI-sHhax3snhA0al83etLNQ7Lgxn3E4zSuGCbA4_oHAqob0y3yqusIiE2bwMBH1em3kk0Supa56EqxQbfMjLGdFe82VxK_6NsLz5hxwrIPFfp9wWcuUERj0BDw_qU-V1_dEotiueMwB7QG0PaNpCYxsE-xw442kYxW5AALOBieAScM4nmfifLpB8y3VqF4H4n-hbg7JbFEfzmvDsQuEAKRpybiGlaA8LL-htcGHISbB5HE-Ndc6KJSrrfjjV4YxiRqwjAVmStEqmPa4vNSe0kY7YpVafnhLxYOofQ6J3O56NLCKcZZ4IiUYPBeXSOg2jN8LCeCj8JNsjBqEAjA_jnDYge2oEDEIv11iwY3fX4ag971FxRA6YRb54MPOIvrbwEmhhvbYme0ySG-K4LPiqkGT_jRYKlFcxIJibTt6wgHbjWsm5J0iPETwa8hbIk8Cn-1h2LI0-4w11Z2U-2S6BcJUi7k80x7bkc2ydRa417zPz6RM4ZBh5RY0iS9sOibESOXSuY5FqCQ0Obc0Ls-nmMGYnpNMVFTX8dkPQQw6As6gT4wUyYwKz6_BDEmLSsoyZW6DgEq47QNVuq1lDNvpi3J1wVTUm-wVU0U6XW0g=w2036-h1526-no

sXOwY1sj_xtKqX3cOWB5dHcA4X3JA1Ck6sr8IQ3Xcvpegavpm-zUhSGkf3d9cnQYI40kIfPMvx9rBJPOEu_yGRvy6J8iXS7RHC6SaAdnIbyNgB_eFtG4VxwqFH2crwZBcQ7EEWs2Hae408Y11RpzvT6JlkRlKFVi4McfIC0wGC_jWoWA2ZUS_EiTzyp4-HvBeOH9ft-WpG_X8c_XhJjReCFLySy0cyQ5nisMRPLIMBcFbeuaMvA6ixApuje20myH7COWA8JPsV9xRBktP_MS5o9AjsxfV2mdV3opoTD-EQ9lDhKg-3W9RItvshUnXnZmTabnJge6VSmhf2lppA5sFKZocLibJbs1Y8qooZFLwsL9FU8Mt_U1rH5g6Zv5kW9sT2HcIYLw9T4byydsdzJPO7ZOd5TmH0X8M9oMNbWlrihareLVcraj5wOjseBWtaoQPFjgILpEE7oVuIENIWwjfmfIhR9GryMhRmbGHjVG-4PGYMJyZ-XEX3BMP2W2le4Ke3GkRBaCOINVSCOkeA00IDQOFAwOoDEF-K01KSH2Q8ChDlNqymQ3ZCHC835HIm2auvSSTaBY6RWeanV95funvRplHe4EYRX8rSL6SOQcOuikRpmlBBzIIVFa-7nl-bTdjWdFDA81e61U12mdXts1TL3v8CsfZGc6WNo-yM1cNhLc=w1146-h1526-no

hoyden said:
those won't just sink in on their own, under the weight?
A 2' x 2' paver or plywood spreads the weight over that surface. You should be good. Just make sure you have a level surface.

All depends what type of soil you have and how much moisture you have or would expect to see. Think of it as you wearing high healed shoes.. or jack stand ends, you would certainly punch through the surface with the pointy high heals. But with a wider foot print, bigger wider shoes, you spread out the forces outward on the surface.

So depending on soil type and past if it had any compaction for settlement, would determine how and how wide of blocks to obtain under each four corners.

Asking Dawn to imagine wearing high heels? Really Dude...that is so wrong! :D

Dawn glad you found a "port" to anchor in for awhile...best to you. How are pups?

Phil

Ps...Good advice given you on a stable, level platform to set the camper on...another tidbit...lower it close to the ground to stabilize it in winds...if winds are really viscous there [judging from trees the wind is 'mild' and not that bad there] putting out four anchor lines [rope] from the jack brackets will further insure stability...of course tornadoes change the game!

Asking Dawn to imagine wearing high heels? Really Dude...that is so wrong! :D

Dawn glad you found a "port" to anchor in for awhile...best to you. How are pups?

Phil

Ps...Good advice given you on a stable, level platform to set the camper on...another tidbit...lower it close to the ground to stabilize it in winds...if winds are really viscous there [judging from trees the wind is 'mild' and not that bad there] putting out four anchor lines [rope] from the jack brackets will further insure stability...of course tornadoes change the game!

Hahahaha! So true! I own three pair of motorcycle boots, hiking boots, running shoes, fluffy dog-shaped slippers, old combat boots, and some comfortable work shoes. Hahaha!

It's good to be home! And I so lucked out with this house! It's next door to old friends, has a huge fenced back yard, cheap rent, two bedroom, porch for sitting and watching people, and landlords (who only own this house as a rental) who are fine with me putting holes in the backyard for pavers for my camper. :D

The pups are starting to understand that they have a stable place and seem to be settling in. I renamed "Trinity" to "Kayenta" - "Kaya" for short. Kayenta was the nearest town from where I found her (well, Tsegi was, but it's difficult to say three times fast) and I already got tired of telling people that Trinity wasn't a religious reference. Ha!

So anyway, Kaya has really bonded with Argos doggie and follows his lead. It's very sweet!

Yeah, generally winds aren't bad.
Occasionally we get a real stormy storm, but I don't think this time of year so much. (knock on wood!)

Do I need to make a platform for the belly of the camper while it's on the jack stands?
I have a good tarp I can put over it for extra protection for now.

Make a support for the belly if you plan to be inside. Floor pack is designed to sit on a truck bed. Lower the jacks to the bottom to give a lower center of gravity.

I don't think I have a handle. I guess one should have come with my jack stands? Grrrr

Damn, those aren't inexpensive. ARGH.

Dawn go to amazon or eBay or call ATC ask them is the sell the one for the drill. You can do it by hand but well it’s time consuming.
If you have never done this find some videos for these pop ups. Take your time.

Russ

hoyden said:
I don't think I have a handle. I guess one should have come with my jack stands? Grrrr

Damn, those aren't inexpensive. ARGH.
You should have received 2 crank handles with the camper. Check your hidey holes...

Wandering Sagebrush said:
You should have received 2 crank handles with the camper. Check your hidey holes...

Exactly and I was given one of the drill chucks for the jacks along with two handles....

If it was me, I would spread a tarp on the ground under the camper and stake it down before parking the camper. Put the blocks for the jacks on top of the tarp to help hold it in place. Keep the camper elevated a bit over the tarp to allow good ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom