Starcraft pop up camper any good?

hpcbmw

Advanced Member
I found a 2004 Starcraft Pop Up slide in Camper for about $6000.00. I've never heard of this brand of pop up camper. I'm looking to upgrade my 1980's FWC. Does anyone know if Starcraft is decent quality?

Thanks for any input.

My Dad had a Starcraft from the mid-90s. It may not be a fair comparison to the one you're looking at. We used it a couple of times. It had lots of room and the appliances worked fine. As I remember it was quite heavy and used a 2X2 wood frame which isn't nearly as robust as welded aluminum, at least over the long-haul. I also remember spending about 3 days helping my Dad rebuild the roof which sagged and began to leak. We also had to replace the lifting cables. I certainly wouldn't buy that particular camper but as I said earlier, it was a much older model.

I think that both FWC and ATC "remodel" FWC's. I don't know the specifics of your situation, but maybe that would be an option. I just wouldn't want to leave the quality of an FWC/ATC if you can swing it.

The primary issue with my FWC is that it's the 9' model, which is to big for my short bed pickup, so a refurb wouldn't help. In addition a refurb would be very expensive ($2,000 just for the end panels and new vinyl pop up).

I'm keeping an eye out for an affordable replacement. The Starcraft is advertised as "these cost over $7500 new" - as opposed to $14k for an FWC or ATC. That made me think the quality is probably not as good - which is why I decided to ask around.

Thanks to WhiteDog for your experience. Anyone else have experience with Starcraft?

Starcraft has been around for over 100 years and has made everything from boats to fifth wheels. They have always been consider very high quality, especially with the interior design and workmanship. However, they are wood framed and will be much heavier than a FWC or ATC unit. Their phone # is 1-800-945-4787. I am sure you can call them for more specs on this model.

CWD

Back
Top Bottom