State Hwy 20 opens

clikrf8

Yay, Washington state's scenic Hwy 20 through the North Cascades National park has opened as of yesterday. The hubby and I phoned today for reservations for 2 nights in Winthrop for a photo shoot in the Methow Valley and along the highway. I wish we had our camper but it will be nice to stay in a scenic room by the Methow River. It isn't really camping so hopefully when we get our camper we can return for Fall colors along the pass and in Eastern Cascade foothills. It has been a long cold grey winter/spring.

With any luck it won't be a long cold grey summer like it was last year, at least down here in Portland. I have some friends in the Methow valley just outside Winthrop, it's a nice place for sure.

Looking forward to pics of the valley! We were in that neck of the woods (sort of) last weekend - Wenatchee area. The snow level on the Stevens Pass was around 1800'.

"It has been a long cold grey winter/spring."

x10

Yes, seriously wet, grey and cold. Would that qualify as a camping trip? We aren't camping but found the cheapest lodging that had a fridge/MV as we bring our own food in a cooler rather that dine out to save money. There are many places to photograph in the Methow Valley and along Hwy 20 through the passes. We will leave early Wednesday morning to beat the traffic and check out our favorite old truck in the woods near Concrete then a few others in a field further on up the road (Clapton fan). There are some photogenic waterfalls in Newhalem behind the power station. Then, the several viewpoints overlooking the lakes and on to the passes. There was lots of snow in the passes as shown by WDOT photos. We will stay in Winthrop at the River Run Inn and explore from there. Old farmsteads, trees, wildflowers, lakes, we should probably stay 3 nights. Just a mini preview so will post in the right forum when we return.

Well I had never heard of hwy 20 until this thread, but we're in Hood River until tomorrow and making our way up to AK next week. I think we'll probably drive 20 just for fun. Maybe Monday/Tuesday. So keep your eyes peeled for us!

Gormley, you will want to saunter along Hwy 20. It is very picturesque and a windy (as in curvy) road but well engineered. Pick a weekday to travel as the hordes will be out in full force. It seems many of the scenic overlooks will be on your side if you are coming from east to west. The mountains will be snow covered. Just check out pix of Liberty Bell Mt then the Ross Lake overlook. Take your time. Rainy Pass is 4875 ft elevation and Washington Pass is 5477 ft. You will wind down into the foothills and then Skagit County farmland and then the salt water of the inland bays of upper Puget Sound/Juan de Fuca Straitsor the Salish Sea as some people call the whole area. and Intestate 5. A nicer drive is up Hwy 9 heading north through farm country but I5 at this point is not the snarly I5 of points south. There are campgrounds available along highway 20 both reserved and first come first served. Also, lots of hiking trails. Ranger station/visitor information is helpful in the town of Newhalem but it is almost out of the Park heading West. Just watch out for the speed trap through Newhalem which is the company town for Seattle City Light. I think this will be more scenic than driving I5 or taking any of the other passes such as Stevens (Hwy 2) or Snoqualamie (I90). We won't be going over until June 8 and 9 so have a great trip. Honk when you pass through through Bellingham.

Remember this weekend is Memorial Day weekend here in the states so lots of people out and about. We stay home.

Thanks clik! Lots of good info there for sure! Looking forward to the drive. Camping near Mt Hood tomorrow with friends so we'll be heading up that way on Tuesday it seems.

Back
Top Bottom