State of Charge Monitor (Blue Sea?)

I haven't used that one, but it may make sense if it fits in with your other gauges from blue sea. The other latest hotness is the Victron BMV-712. Also a much nicer interface than the trimetric, with the addition of bluetooth which is surprisingly useful:
https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-712-smart

It also fits nicely with their solar charge controller gauges, if you want an MPPT charge controller as well:
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:28323]

rando said:
I haven't used that one, but it may make sense if it fits in with your other gauges from blue sea. The other latest hotness is the Victron BMV-712. Also a much nicer interface than the trimetric, with the addition of bluetooth which is surprisingly useful:

It also fits nicely with their solar charge controller gauges, if you want an MPPT charge controller as well:
Thanks Rando! Dang, that unit looks slick also!

Yes, i am THAT lazy i dont want to have to press a button to see the various functions of whats going on, hence why i am looking at the Blue Sea option. But that bluetooth and app looks SAWEET

After further research, YES, that is a great idea, i like the idea of having both gauges right there and easily readable!

Thanks!!

Total ignorance on my part...but what is the FWC display/monitor lacking that we need to use these other monitors?

Not being a wiseguy...really don't understand the advantage of "upgrading".

Thanks..Phil

'16 Hawk with full solar and two batteries.

Wallowa said:
Total ignorance on my part...but what is the FWC display/monitor lacking that we need to use these other monitors?

Not being a wiseguy...really don't understand the advantage of "upgrading".

Thanks..Phil

'16 Hawk with full solar and two batteries.

I opted to do my own solar instead of having it installed from the factory.

Things are changing so fast, I can do it more efficient and cheaper myself.

Actual battery capacity is the big one. The FWC panel is a crappy voltmeter at best and is essentialy useless if you have solar. If you really want to know how much juice you have left in your battery, or how long it is going to take you to get back to full you need something like the BMV-712.

I also added my own water tank gauge b/c the FWC one didn't give me enough detail.

So Cal Adventurer said:
Thanks Rando! Dang, that unit looks slick also!

Yes, i am THAT lazy i dont want to have to press a button to see the various functions of whats going on, hence why i am looking at the Blue Sea option. But that bluetooth and app looks SAWEET
The BMV-712 give you both a display AND bluetooth. With the newer charge controllers you can also get both a display and app. This is really nice for viewing the history and changing the settings, which is a pain through a 3 button interface.

Phil,

[SIZE=12pt]The FWC water and battery panel shows three lights to indicate battery condition and one light to indicate charge state.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Charge (green on, not green off) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Good[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Fair[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Weak[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Those lights don’t actually give you much useful information about the battery and the state of charge and if the batteries are getting to the end of their usable life. There is no way to tell if the particular battery in your camper is fully charged, close to fully charged, at 40 % charge at 30% charge or whatever. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]A person may or may not care and just let the charging and discharging do what it will do, but some of us want to maximize the life of our batteries as well as know when there is something wrong (diagnose issues) or when they are getting near the end of their usable life. That is why we instrument our batteries with battery monitors. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]With a good battery monitor, one that can be programmed for the max voltage for your battery, you can see the state of charge of the battery (volts and percent capacity) and you can use it, among other things, to determine what various electrical items draw when in use, which is useful for some of us to know. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]So this is one of those pick your poison kinds of decisions. Some of us want and use the information and others may not care one way or another.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]For a real good tutorial on lead acid batteries here is a link:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/lead_based_batteries[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]See also:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharge_methods[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]and[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_the_lead_acid_battery[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Simple Guidelines for Charging Lead Acid Batteries[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Charge in a well-ventilated area. Hydrogen gas generated during charging is explosive. (See BU-703: Health Concerns with Batteries[/SIZE])
  • [SIZE=12pt]Choose the appropriate charge program for flooded, gel and AGM batteries. Check manufacturer’s specifications on recommended voltage thresholds.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Recharge lead acid batteries after each use to prevent sulfation[/SIZE]. Do not store on low charge.
  • [SIZE=12pt]The plates of flooded batteries must always be fully submerged in electrolyte. Fill the battery with distilled or de-ionized water to cover the plates if low. Never add electrolyte.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Fill water level to designated level after [/SIZE]charging. Overfilling when the battery is on low charge can cause acid spillage during charging.
  • [SIZE=12pt]The formation of gas bubbles in a flooded lead acid indicates that the battery is reaching full state-of-charge. (Hydrogen appears on negative plate and oxygen on positive plate).[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]• Lower the float charge voltage if the ambient temperature is higher than 29°C (85°F)..[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Do not allow a lead acid to freeze. An empty battery freezes sooner than one that is fully charged. Never charge a frozen battery.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Avoid charging at temperatures above 49°C (120°F).[/SIZE]

ckent323 said:
Phil,

[SIZE=12pt]The FWC water and battery panel shows three lights to indicate battery condition and one light to indicate charge state.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Charge (green on, not green off) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Good[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Fair[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Weak[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Those lights don’t actually give you much useful information about the battery and the state of charge and if the batteries are getting to the end of their usable life. There is no way to tell if the particular battery in your camper is fully charged, close to fully charged, at 40 % charge at 30% charge or whatever. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]A person may or may not care and just let the charging and discharging do what it will do, but some of us want to maximize the life of our batteries as well as know when there is something wrong (diagnose issues) or when they are getting near the end of their usable life. That is why we instrument our batteries with battery monitors. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]With a good battery monitor, one that can be programmed for the max voltage for your battery, you can see the state of charge of the battery (volts and percent capacity) and you can use it, among other things, to determine what various electrical items draw when in use, which is useful for some of us to know. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]So this is one of those pick your poison kinds of decisions. Some of us want and use the information and others may not care one way or another.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]For a real good tutorial on lead acid batteries here is a link:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/lead_based_batteries[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]See also:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharge_methods[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]and[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_the_lead_acid_battery[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Simple Guidelines for Charging Lead Acid Batteries[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Charge in a well-ventilated area. Hydrogen gas generated during charging is explosive. (See BU-703: Health Concerns with Batteries[/SIZE])
  • [SIZE=12pt]Choose the appropriate charge program for flooded, gel and AGM batteries. Check manufacturer’s specifications on recommended voltage thresholds.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Recharge lead acid batteries after each use to prevent sulfation[/SIZE]. Do not store on low charge.
  • [SIZE=12pt]The plates of flooded batteries must always be fully submerged in electrolyte. Fill the battery with distilled or de-ionized water to cover the plates if low. Never add electrolyte.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Fill water level to designated level after [/SIZE]charging. Overfilling when the battery is on low charge can cause acid spillage during charging.
  • [SIZE=12pt]The formation of gas bubbles in a flooded lead acid indicates that the battery is reaching full state-of-charge. (Hydrogen appears on negative plate and oxygen on positive plate).[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]• Lower the float charge voltage if the ambient temperature is higher than 29°C (85°F)..[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Do not allow a lead acid to freeze. An empty battery freezes sooner than one that is fully charged. Never charge a frozen battery.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Avoid charging at temperatures above 49°C (120°F).[/SIZE]
Exactly everything he said! :)

So Cal Adventurer said:
Hey All

I know a lot of your love the Trimetric, but has anyone used this? I prefer the smaller, more discreet easy to read display.

All of my builds prior have used all and only Blue Sea items, so i am kind of partial. Anyone? Thoughts? Thanks

https://www.bluesea.com/products/1830/M2_DC_SoC_Monitor
That's a nice unit, if you have multiple batteries to monitor. I'm with rando in the Victron camp tho...

Vic Harder said:
That's a nice unit, if you have multiple batteries to monitor. I'm with rando in the Victron camp tho...
Yeah, after more research, that’s what I’ll be going with. Love the idea of being able to monitor everything from phone while in truck and not having to check inside the camper.

Thanks guys

rando said:
I also added my own water tank gauge b/c the FWC one didn't give me enough detail.
Rando, In the picture above is that water or LPG with the lime green button. Details please. If LPG does it work ok with the 10# tanks?

Thats for LPG. It is a Mopeka Tank Check:
http://mopeka.com/

It is basically a bluetooth enabled ultrasonic distance sensor, that magnetically mounts to the bottom of your propane tanks. It measures the distance to the liquid propane surface - which tells you pretty accurately how much propane you have left. The 10lb tanks are the same height as the 20lb tanks, so it works just fine with them on the 20lb setting. You can check this either with the little readout you saw in that photo, or with the app on your phone which give much better resolution.

The water tank gauge is on my replacement control panel:
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:27036]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:27103]

Any guesses as to what I do for a living? (hint: I like data, lots of data)

rando said:
Thats for LPG. It is a Mopeka Tank Check:
http://mopeka.com/

It is basically a bluetooth enabled ultrasonic distance sensor, that magnetically mounts to the bottom of your propane tanks. It measures the distance to the liquid propane surface - which tells you pretty accurately how much propane you have left. The 10lb tanks are the same height as the 20lb tanks, so it works just fine with them on the 20lb setting. You can check this either with the little readout you saw in that photo, or with the app on your phone which give much better resolution.

The water tank gauge is on my replacement control panel:

Any guesses as to what I do for a living? (hint: I like data, lots of data)
Holy Crap! That’s awesome!

rando said:

Not to side track too much, but how is the Bluetooth monitoring interface? Hard to find any info online. I like the idea of being able to keep an eye on what the battery system is doing without getting into the camper, since it's my daily driver as well.

The Victron BT interface is awesome
full

Back
Top Bottom