Stock Roof Rack? Useful?

SantaCruzin

My new to me 2003 Kestrel came with aluminum bars on the roof (I don't know that I'd call them a "Rack" per se). The person I bought it from said they were the original racks but I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this?

Secondarily, has anyone found these to be particularly useful? I am hoping to mount a road shower and some kayaks to the roof eventually, and I'm not sure if I should try to update the rack system or make these work?

Thanks!
Chris

gallery_12182_1523_3413823.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. Are the Yakima tracks something which can be installed at home? I'm relatively handy, but of course I'm always nervous about touching anything on the roof...definitely don't want to deal with leaks.

I have the factory original aluminum roof rack also. The wall thickness of the tubing is about 1/16" and thus aren't very strong. I added 1.5" x 1/8" thick aluminum angle across the rack and mounted a 160 watt solar panel on the aluminum angle.. This has worked well for us such that I didn't need to penetrate the roof for solar panel mount. You have it so use it however it works for you. Be innovative.

BTW, due to the thin walls of the factory tubing, I used nylock nuts when bolting the aluminum angle to the tubes so as not to crush the tubing.

Paul

Yes factory rack. I found it useful when I acquired my first Hawk second hand. Hauled lumber and canoes/kayaks etc. the rear section functions as a cargo basket too. When I placed my order for a new Hawk in 2015 I went with the factory rack again and it works fine for me. I wish the front crossbar was a double and not a single. Full disclosure- I am old school with roll over couch floor plan and 3-way propane fridge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom