Storage Between Cab and Camper?

PJorgen

New guy here, just put a 2014 FWC Hawk on a 2012 GMC 2500HD extended cab. Learning a lot from all the smart folks here.

Question I haven't seen before: does anyone see a problem with storing flat stuff, like folding chairs, between the back of the cab and front of the camper? I can fit a couple of chairs in that slot, they sit on top of the front bed rail.

Only thing I haven't figured out is how to secure them. Have thought about a long bungee cord but am not sure that's good enough. All comments and suggestions welcome.

I made a table that hung off the side of my camper (you can partially see it here in this picture from Lighthawk's trip report). It folded up and fit in that space very well, or so I thought. Supported it with small chains from eye bolts on the shelf up to the leg mounts. Didn't realize until a year later when removing the camper the eye bolts had punched through the aluminum siding. So if you do store anything there, make sure there are no protrusions of any kind facing the camper.

I don't have such a usable space with my small truck, but that won't stop me from posting :)

Since you want to protect the camper and keep the chairs from rattling, how about putting them in a fold of artificial turf or synthetic outdoor carpet (plastic so the rain won't affect it.) You could then use the carpet in front of your door, under your outdoor chairs, etc.

Good point about protecting the and truck cab, something else I hadn't thought of. Will look into that.

Still hoping for suggestions on securing them in place. Any ideas besides bungees?

I don't know from any experience, but I'd leave extra room for the bed to flex, especially off road. The gap there might get smaller than it looks, which could lead to stuff poking your camper or truck.

Instead of bungees you might try webbing with adjustable plastic clips. Attach it to the camper by:
- bolt on D-rings using the jack bracket holes, assuming your jacks are removed
- Use the screws that hold the black plastic roundish trim in place, and put D-rings there

Now that I think of it you could use some of the other existing screws/holes on that wall, but of course I'd check with FWC to make sure it won't mess anything up.

For a slightly different placement, see Nikol's setup.

Back
Top Bottom