Storage place for hitch mounted winch?

Doff

Advanced Member
Hi all
Are Hawk FWC is being installed onto our F250 in July. We are slowly getting things ready on the truck. I was thinking of getting a hitch mount winch and replacing the front bumper with one that has a hitch mount. That way we can use the winch on the front or rear depending on the situation. The winch is pretty bulky, so I want to be sure we have a place to store it when not in use. Does anyone have suggestions on a place to store in in the FWC setup? I know there's storage space in the truck bed around FWC corners...do you think there would be enough space there for a winch? Other storage ideas where it would be out of the way? THANKS!

No real good space that is out of the way in the camper.
Keep it on the front receiver or in the cab's back seat floor board strapped down.
Replace the truck bed with side boxes to store it inside.

It becomes a item that has weight and is hard to get it out of the way.

Wow, you've got yerself a challenge. I have a Warn 10,000# VR10000-s mounted on a hitch-mounted carrier and it is BULKY! (More the carrier than the winch.)

We used to have a slide-in Hawk and if you have the rollover bed it might fit underneath. But I don't believe you'll get it in between the camper and the truck bed sides. (And it is really heavy.) We have a Grandby flatbed now and keep it in the mid-truck underbed 36" x 16" box and it fills it up pretty good. (We fit tool bags and recovery gear around it.)

Best wishes and you will love your Hawk!

Hi all
Are Hawk FWC is being installed onto our F250 in July. We are slowly getting things ready on the truck. I was thinking of getting a hitch mount winch and replacing the front bumper with one that has a hitch mount. That way we can use the winch on the front or rear depending on the situation. The winch is pretty bulky, so I want to be sure we have a place to store it when not in use. Does anyone have suggestions on a place to store in in the FWC setup? I know there's storage space in the truck bed around FWC corners...do you think there would be enough space there for a winch? Other storage ideas where it would be out of the way? THANKS!

===================================================================================
Hawk on '05 Tundra....receiver hitches front and back [to pull either direction]...Warn winch [synthetic line] on carrier w/cover [and velcro strap to hold cover on] mounted/carried in front receiver...if you want a winch it will cost you in space [not so much in carrier and in receiver] and in weight...think my carrier and Warn is about 100lbs. Rear receiver was Toyota tow package and front was a light weight add on...no full "winch" bumper with extra weight..

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWMUTL0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.etrailer.com/vehicle-finder.aspx?HHCat=fmr&HHYear=2005

I carried one in my FWC eagle underneath the bench in the wide spot at the back of the camper. I had to fabricate a mount to secure it to the floor. It was heavy and awkward to carry it through the back door. I only really needed it once but because I had to winch more than 45* off to the side, I couldn't use it. After that I took the winch out and am planning on mounting it full time on my current truck.

I ran heavy gauge wire to a plug on the front and back of the truck for the winch. I then made a set of jumper cables that plugged into that wiring. This let me jump cars from either end of the truck without opening the hood. I used this setup a LOT.

I have a Warn 8000 winch that I have been taking to Baja for years, only used once to rescue myself, but used extensivly for pulling my boat up on the beach to my camp. I would recommend keeping it on the front of your truck, locked of course. You will find you need the space in the camper for camping stuff, plus the weight on the front of the truck helps balance out the weight of the camper on the rear wheels. I use a little rod with an orange plastic ball (practice golf ball) on it to mark the front of the winch so that I can see where the winch is. I also had a welder make me a device that fits between the receiver and the winch which also holds my HiLift Jack and my Pull Pal on the front of the truck. I have a 3/4 ton truck.

I put a sdhq hidden bumper an winch on my tundra. Check to c if they have one for your truck

What year is your Ford Super Duty, look into Torklift front receiver mount. It mounts into center of the front bumper of my 2015 F250, behind front license plate. A much better position for a winch than below or in the air dam area. When I am going to an area where a winch might be needed, I leave the Warn set-up mounted in the front receiver with a lock to prevent someone from borrowing it.

This is what I found for my Dodge truck. They also make them for Fords, Chevies, etc. I bought it because it holds the winch high, it mounts to the tow hooks.

I wouldn't put mine in the camper. Back seat is 60/40 configuration. I fold up the 40% section and set the winch carrier on floor and strap to existing seat brackets front and rear. Remaining 60% seat can seat two persons in a pinch. If more back seating is needed just move it to the front receiver mount. I elected to fabricate my own front receiver from a modified rear hitch.

Doff said:
Hi all

Attachments

• IMG_2013.jpg
    IMG_2013.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2088.jpg
    IMG_2088.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 80
thanks for all the great replies. Sounds like the only option is to store the hitch either on the floor of the back seat or to keep it mounted on the front receiver. Definitely some things to think about...maybe a front bumper with winch built in is a better idea....hmmmm

Back
Top Bottom