Stranded in Death Valley

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
This was a very interesting read. Well written and the narrative provides insight into how this urban young couple got into trouble. Of particular interest to me is the complete reliance on devises for navigation information especially for an area I am so familiar with. I am also incredibly impressed with the durability of the Toyota Camry.

Stranded in Death Valley

Sheesh... what an ordeal, all of which could have easily been avoided at many opportunities. Glad they made it out.

The reliance on electronic devices is a wonder these days. I admit I'm a gadget nut but I know a world when there was no such thing as gps, iphone, and garmin... the younger folks probably don't know how to read a paper map. :(

Amazing they made it that far, and lucky they got out. Honestly, when you hear that much damage and continue driving, the repair bill should not be a surprise. Did they really road trip the Camry after DV?

Totally impressed with the Camry designer's choices. Totally unimpressed with the driver's choices. Leaning negative on the driver's girlfriend's choice.

Alan

Very lucky. Not everyone that tries that makes it out alive. If they hadn't got a cell phone signal? Does make me want to go drive the Lippincott road though but I think I'll take my Jeep and not a camry.

Also he mentions military training. Doesn't the military teach how to recognize the signs of heat stroke? Given the description I'd have gone directly to the hospital. That she recovered quickly makes me think his description was a little inaccurate. He never mentions "shoulda had a map". The reliance on the gps makes me a little queasy.

Wow, even with all the past similar stories you read, this stuff seems to happen over and over again. This should be put on Yahoo News or something so that others learn from it. It amazes me the unfortunate lack of common sense some humans have.

It seems that if you do enough research to find a statue in Mojave, a specific joshua tree and the James Dean corner you would at least look at a Death Valley map. I hope Betsy dumped the idiot.

This would be in the "Almost" chapter of the ever lenghtening book entitled "Death by GPS". Good thing they're luckier than they are stupid, and they're plenty stupid. I can't imagine the foolishness of going far afield with no maps. Sheesh.

Foy

I just read the entire trilogy during lunch, and boy did I overestimate these kids' common sense in the initial 45 second scan of the 1st installment. And this young man has military training, too. Then again, so did James Stolpa. Map reading is quickly becoming a forgotten skill, too often with serious injury or death as a consequence.

RIP Al Chretien, d.o.d. approximately March 27, 2011, Elko Co, Nevada.

Foy

I just wanted to chime in here. I happen to be the person who had this experience and wrote this story. First of all, thanks for reading and giving your feedback. If I might respond. For those of you who might question my military training, yes, I was in the Army for 8 years. I served 2 combat tours, overseas, in both desert and mountain environments. I have been in and traversed terrain worse than this, in conditions that were as hot, if not hotter. It has been asked, "then why didn't you know better? Why weren't you better prepared? Where was your common sense?" Well, I'm not one for making excuses, so I have to admit that I made poor decisions that ran counter to common sense. But, this is not just a military training thing, because I will tell you, there were many times when we were ill prepared for some of the missions that we ran. We were under-equipped, under-manned, and only as prepared as the situation would allow. Some of the time we had to attempt a mission to find out if it was possible. This was the case, not only with the Army units I worked with, but also with the marine units. Sometimes you just have to adapt and overcome. There came a time, during this situation, where I needed to make a decision and I needed to stick to it. There is no room for second guessing yourself constantly. There are times when you need to decide on a course of action and then execute. In this situation, I surveyed my surrounding and decided that I WOULD make it to our destination. That turning around was failure, and that failure was not an option. I trusted my driving skills and I had faith that the road would take us to our destination, by hook or by crook. Clearly my decision was wrong and we paid dearly for it. I was underprepared, and though I had a compass, I did not have a map of the area. That was an oversight as well. Anyway, I don't think that there is any question regarding the mistakes that I made that led to us getting stuck.

I will say this to the people that talked about recognizing heat stroke: The initial warning signs of heat stroke often times look very similar to heat exhaustion. At the time when Betsy started displaying signs, I monitored them. She displayed fatigue, flushed skin, stomach cramps, and an absence of sweating. We plied her with water and gatorade, applied a damp towel to her face, and monitored her symptoms. They did not get worse, so it was not necessary to take her to the hospital. There was a moment where I was concerned that we would have needed to go, but it didn't end up that way. This was not due to carelessness. It was due to me being educated enough to recognize the difference between exhaustion and stroke. You don't always have to escalate to the highest levels. Sometimes you can just be prudent.

Also, to Camelracer, who hopes that "Betsy dumped the idiot," I am sorry to inform you that she did not decide on that course of action. She remains blissfully in love with "the idiot." To your point, though, I gave the same amount of research to the landmarks you mentioned as I did to the Death Valley one. THAT was my problem. My research for the Racetrack Playa needed to be more in depth, including having a route already marked out. It was because I merely glanced at a map of the area, then blindly followed my GPS that this situation happened, so your assertion that all it would have taken to avoid this debacle would have been to look at a map, well, it's noted, but it's a little less simplistic than just that.

I made my mistakes and I take my licks for all that. I updated the last part of the story to make that more clear, so check it out if you want, but there are certain things that aren't valid to say... Anyway, that's just my bit.

David, I want to thank you for taking the time to honestly tell your story. The Lady & I have been teaching various outdoor skills for years including land navigation and survival. We also do a great deal of travel and exploration in remote areas. One thing we have learned over and over is that we all are capable of making stupid mistakes. We are not immune to our own humanness. Recognize that and our chances of survival greatly increase. One thing we stress is that the outdoors is a wonderful place, get out there and enjoy it. In so many ways it is a much safer place with less risks than we blindly accept in our day to day lives. But there are risks. Prepare well, develop good habits, make good observations, and continue to learn and build experience.

I know that others will learn much from the mistakes you and Betsy made and by sharing your story you have helped people. I figure you've been around long enough to know you'd be in for some strongly worded comment on your mistakes.

We wish you and Betsy well and that you will continue to share your adventures.

I'm still as impressed as hell with that Camry.

Yep, I'm sure we've all had experiences and made decisions which after the fact look pretty dumb but at the time were done in good faith. I'm glad you survived to tell the story and hope your tale helps others avoid similar tough situations. All any of us can hope for is to learn from our mistakes and to live to see another day. Congrats on still being together and best wishes for more adventures together.

takesiteasy said:
Yep, I'm sure we've all had experiences and made decisions which after the fact look pretty dumb but at the time were done in good faith. I'm glad you survived to tell the story and hope your tale helps others avoid similar tough situations. All any of us can hope for is to learn from our mistakes and to live to see another day. Congrats on still being together and best wishes for more adventures together.
I agree with this, we all make mistakes, some times we survive, sometimes we don't. Despite many years of being out there in the boonies, anyone can and do make that stupid mistake that kills them, while someone else does everything wrong and survives. We have had many threads on this site decribing those "getting unstuck" incedents and what you need to be prepared when that "unknown " happens and you find yourself up that s--- creek! Urhdavid, you didn't panic and you survived, that's what counted, and your writing style made your "trip" understandable (and thank god for that old army training) to one and all, as it can be used as a another learning tool. A quick comment on the GPS, again it is a tool and is meant to be used with other tools. To many people are trained to use only it today because it's easy, and unlike us old time field types (we hope), and not about maps, topography and other outdoor survial tools and skills-modern society to blame I guess!. I rememember a while back in one of our "getting unstuck" threads, Ski falling victum to that phase that's almost killed off allot of us "I'll just walk over the hill over there and see what's there" and there begain a new unplanned for adventure! PS: the result of that thread was that a new "Spot 3" was added to my own growing truck full of "unstuck tools" :p ! We have a brain and we need to use it!

Smoke

Smoke

Thanks for filling us in the rest of the story. Glad to hear you were looking at her symptoms carefully. I'm sure this'll make a great story for the grand kids.

My father lived to 100 and I have had several friends who were active into their 90's. In ALL cases they made more bad decisions as they got older. I have noticed the same thing in myself. I have made some "wrong turns" in the woods over the past few years that I don't think I would have done earlier. One needs to rely less and less on judgement as time goes by and have instead a check list and some emergency gear. I try to include a phone, gps, and spot. But on "short" walks I tend to leave them behind and those are the walks that get you.

The idea of making "lists" to remind ourselves gets a bad rap.There isn't anything wrong with a note to your self or a list of where things are or the best of all write down directions.Something us men for some reason don't do.
In the camper I keep index cards on the rear lift panel that show me where I have stored things and things to remember when lowering the top.That one can get you into some bad straights if you forget to move something out of the way of the liner.
One bit of advise I have heard over the years.While walking a non-familiar trail that you will be returning on,is to stop,especially at a trail divide and look back at so that when you come back you will have an idea of what it looks like from the other direction.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom