Sumo Springs?

Tom n N

Advanced Member
I have a 93 Toyota 4x4 with a built out Eagle shell. When fully loaded for a long trip it is very heavy, but after having some new leaf springs made at a local spring shop it handles the load quite well both on and off road. I was considering the Sumo Springs not for load capacity, but to provide more progressive bump stops. When hitting a hole off road with the camper installed it can feel like hitting a wall. Would this product, especially in front, help soften the blow? Any thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks, Tom

I think so, they are softer. But they are much taller than the bump stops, so will pick up load sooner. We have Sumosprings with stock leaf springs.

Thanks for the very informative link Sage.

As far as tires, off road I run BFG Mud Terrains and always air down as appropriate.

For shocks I am running some older KYB’s. I’m thinking maybe I should look into upgrading the shocks first. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the input
Tom

I run Bilstein on my SIlverado/hawk combo. It has been a luxurious upgrade from stock. I also just swapped out my Rancho 9000s for Bilsteins on my K5 play toy truck. WOW! the ride has drastically been improved.

All things considered, shocks are an inexpensive upgrade for improving ride quality.

pvstoy said:
What about your tires, `E` rated?
Well, I started with the P rated, got a nice side puncture just after the scary shelf road out of Cerro Gordo. Finally convinced myself to upgrade to E rated tires. I think the P's would be ok on pavement, but we've done quite a bit on crummy dirt/rock roads. I did most of my hiking and scrambling in tennie shoes... but I didn't weigh 6000+ lbs. I'm stuck in "less is more" thinking.

It sounds to me like a shock issue. Over anything but a really nasty bump or hole, your shocks should prevent the suspension from contacting the bump stops. Adding Sumo Springs will just mask the problem.

More I think about it I think you all are right that I have new shocks in my future. I’ve always heard good things about Bilsteins so nice to know that’s the consensus here as well.
I appreciate all of you sharing your experience.
Thanks,
Tom

The Sumo Springs do just as you described but you still need the shock to control the added weight. The description of hitting the bump stop indicates the added weight is blowing through the shock and slamming the factory bump stop. The Bilsteins work very good for an off the shelf production 2" dia shock and be an improvement but may still not be enough and you might still want to add the sumo springs.

Have a 2019 Ram Rebel quad cab, with a 2010 Hawk. First installed Sumo Springs to raise the rear end. Truck was riding on the Sumo Springs all the time. Installed some heavy duty springs and 2 inch spacers in rear and 2 inch new strut lift in front. Truck now road good and rear end was about 1 inch higher then the front, Sumo Springs have 2 inch's clearance before acting as bump stops.

I found some IronMan 4x4 coil springs, 2 1/2 lift compared to stock, and made for constant additional weight of 440 to 1,100 lbs. Installed them and removed the 2 inch spacers, truck now rides great. IronMan 4x4 also make coil springs for the Ram DT, rated for constant additional weight of, 0-130", 0-440", and 440-1100 in various lengths.

HiCap said:
Have a 2019 Ram Rebel quad cab, with a 2010 Hawk. First installed Sumo Springs to raise the rear end. Truck was riding on the Sumo Springs all the time. Installed some heavy duty springs and 2 inch spacers in rear and 2 inch new strut lift in front. Truck now road good and rear end was about 1 inch higher then the front, Sumo Springs have 2 inch's clearance before acting as bump stops.

I found some IronMan 4x4 coil springs, 2 1/2 lift compared to stock, and made for constant additional weight of 440 to 1,100 lbs. Installed them and removed the 2 inch spacers, truck now rides great. IronMan 4x4 also make coil springs for the Ram DT, rated for constant additional weight of, 0-130", 0-440", and 440-1100 in various lengths.
HiCap, that was a great learning experience. You wound up right where you should be, with properly rated springs taking the load and the Sumo "Springs" acting as they should—as no more than heavy duty bump stops. Good idea to get rid of the spacers as well.

My recommendation is to purchase a truck that has approximately twice the payload that you intend to carry. That way not only will your suspension be capable of safely handing that load but your braking and cooling systems will also.

Suspension engineering and associated handling is a task that should be left to automotive engineers.

Back
Top Bottom