Super Duty Backup Camera Info

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
I have a 2014 F350 Super Duty, and when the tailgate is off, I greatly miss the backup camera.

My Ford dealer did a little research for me, and located the bare camera and wiring harness for the tailgate. For what ever reason, I could not find an aftermarket camera, and it took a while for the dealer to pin down the two components. The components are lot less expensive than the camera and badge that are the commonly sold by Ford. Total cost was $122.00.

The Part numbers are:

EC3Z19G490A - Camera
DC3C14A412A - Wiring

I still need to make a small housing, which will probably be a junction box of some sort, and then mount it to the truck or camper...

If anyone else out there is having trouble finding a camera, try these numbers. I hope it helps.

I did the same thing, just went with the factory replacement camera and another cable. My Hallmark has the bumper where I have a step bracket. I just notched out one of the mounting holes and slid the camera up in there and used a washer to spread the load across the camera tab and the bracket. The camera housing is an odd-ball shape as it's designed to mount inside the tailgate handle.

So far no problems with it's location.

IMG_20160418_1744326.jpg

For Ford factory parts, Horizon Ford (http://www.horizonford.com/seattle-ford-parts)
gives a decent web discount off of MSRP

I have a 2012 F-250, think those same parts fit for my year? I can take your numbers to my Ford dealer see what they say.........cool idea. Boy did I struggle to unhook that bugger last week when I took off the tailgate. That plug-in for the camera not not want to come off. Ended up snapping off the small tab of plastic!

I moved the camera on my 2013 from the tailgate to just above the receiver hitch. I notched the plastic bumper trim and simply zip tied the camera in place. It had to be shimmed with some plastic tubing on the zip ties because of the angled mounting ears on the camera. The view is good and now it doesn't matter if the tailgate is on, off, up or down. Only downside is the guidelines in the camera image kind of look like they go up in the sky.

FOLLOWING ;)

I was lucky and found a factory camera and wiring on local Craigslist :)

I like the mounting as you have done bare bones but still looking for some sort of housing.

I wanted a housing as well but couldnt find the space for one. There isn't much room on the center line of the truck and I didnt like view with the camera off center.

I went with camera-source.com and bought their license plate mount camera and adapter harness for my 2011 F-350. It works well and has the parking lines, just like the OEM camera. I just unplugged the tailgate and connected the replacement camera to the existing connector.

I found this idea on the Ford Truck Enthusiast Forum. See post #4.

All credit for figuring out the "how to" goes to "jonrjen". "How to" in the above link/post.

I just installed the camera and harness on my 2016 F-350. It took more time to flux, tin and join the tiny wires from the camera to the harness than anything. The entire project took less than an hour.

Camera and Ford OEM harness sourced off Amazon. Less than $43 (I have Prime) for the components.

2016_12_13_14_42_47.jpg

2016_12_13_14_42_21.jpg

The camera comes mounted to a very small little bracket and two screws that I installed into the exterior wood framing under/behind the camper door. For now, I have the black cable running from the camera to the harness covered with white Gaffers tape.

I think the camera is out of the way and will not be kicked by off-target feet entering the camper. But, Murphy has been along on more than several camping adventures.

170 degree video coverage appears to be better quality then the OEM camera! Kind of not surprising. Night vision is superb.

I don't drop the camper very often. But, it is simply a matter of disconnecting the modified harness from the truck's video feed plug (removing tape) and that's all. Camera will stay attached to camper.

I thought about mounting it somewhere along or on the black plastic of the bumper. But, that would have put the camera in harms way and likely damaged entering/exiting the camper

Back
Top Bottom