Suspension Help

mattvogt7

Hey everyone,
I combed the forums so I am sorry if I'm asking something that has already been answered. I just picked up a Fleet Shell and am trying to figure out suspension upgrades I will need for the 2006 Tundra. It was recommended to me to go with Ride Rite Airbags but I was told that these airbags will not fit my 2006 Tundra Access Cab as it is a 4x4 TRD version. I just wanted to clarifiy this and see if it is true. And if it is, what do people recommend as a replacement. I spoke to the local shop and they said to add another leaf. I'm not too versed in cars in general so I thought I would ask for some assistance.
Thanks a ton in advance!!

- Matt

Maybe outside the scope of your question, but I have a question(s). Where do you live and how do you use your rig?

Some modifications impact the way the suspension cycles, how it flexes or moves (if that makes sense). You can kind of get to where you want to be in different ways and how/where you drive your vehicle might impact the answers.

Are you an avid off roader, or just drive pretty decent forest service roads? Anything more than a quick jaunt on gravel roads, mostly tarmac (paved) or are there times you like to lock the center differential, lock the front and rear differentials and crawl at 5mph over rocks the size of a VW Beetle?

Hi Matt,

The best suspension setup for a camper depends on whether or not you plan on leaving it mounted all the time. If you want to remove it between trips, air bags are the only way to go, as they allow you to compensate for the significant load variation over the rear axle.

If that's your plan, I recommend either Boss or Firestone air bags. You'll probably want to upgrade your shocks as well.

If you're going to leave the camper on permanently, you have a couple of options. First is a replacement spring set rated for the extra weight of the camper and contents (I don't recommend add-a-leafs). Or you can spec a set of springs that just compensates for the camper, and add air bags to fine-tune the ride and height. This might be the ultimate setup. Finally, air bags alone will work too.

Matt,

Could not delete my previous message above...on checking the Firestone site does say they do not make a RideRite for the TRD...no idea why..

Sorry for mix up on my part...

Phil

Ps...could not delete due to "could not confirm your IP" message...what?

Wallowa said:
Matt,

Could not delete my previous message above...on checking the Firestone site does say they do not make a RideRite for the TRD...no idea why..

Sorry for mix up on my part...

Phil

Ps...could not delete due to "could not confirm your IP" message...what?
The IP bug is known to the admins and techs. It just got me, too.

I've got a 2006 Tundra Double Cab with Ride Rites, been running that configuration for the past 8 years with no issues. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

**edit-- mine is a TRD too

I have an 05 with Firestone air bags, installed with no issues and have been for three years. Don't know if there is that much difference between an 05 and 06.

I have a 2005 Tundra AC TRD. Had to return the first set of firestone air bags, wrong ones sent. They do make a set that fits the TRD.

I have air bags on my 2014 Taco TRD and they work well, although when I forget to add pressure upon loading the camper (Eagle) I hardly notice. I did take JHanson's excellent advice and upgraded the shocks to the Boss adjustable units. This made far more difference in the handling than the air bags did.
Side note: the air bags are pretty handy for leveling the rig at a not perfectly flat camp spot as you can jack up one side and let down the other, far easier than driving onto rocks, and I just don't feel like carrying ramps. Just one more darn thing to pack.

You lost me ... grade 8 bolts that "clamp the bags to the leaf springs"? The carriage bolts? Why do you recommend this...a failure? I believe the upper bracket to the frame already has 3/8" grade 8s.

Thanks...Phil

Ps....These are easy to get to and I will try to hunt down 4 grade 8s tomorrow .. peace of mind.

My 2245 kit uses 3/8"-16 X 3 1/2" carriage bolts

Let me know when and if you find grade 8s and how they are marked...I will do the same.

Thanks,

Phil

Just read this.. "Grade 8 carriage bolts are typically zinc yellow finished.." hope that helps.

Yes, In a round-about way...listed on a table by bolt size and app on a separate page...not in the installation instruction pages.

Honestly, getting a torque wrench on some of the frame bolts was damn impossible. My driver's side frame was full of brake lines and oh so tough to get a wrench in to hold the nuts.

I did finally stumble on a little comment that the bolts had coarse threads and a pitch that would make them hard to screw on...why? To hold them tight after installed...hmmmm, I usually do the same thing by simply cross threading!

Take Care,

Phil

Back
Top Bottom