Suspension upgrade options -- help me choose...

zirkel

Background:
1. 2010 TRD OffRoad Access Cab, 80K miles, 1-owner, garage kept
2. New Fleet shell on order
3. Need to upgrade suspension prior to camper pickup for gravel road-capable full time travel
4. Camper will live on truck FULL TIME
5. Added new Cooper AT3 LT E-rated tires
6. Want to keep lift 2" or less
7. No additional weight, armor, bumper, winch, etc planned

Willing to spend some money for a quality, low maintenance and durable product, also considering RIDE COMFORT. Below are a number of options I've encountered in my research. LOTS of differing opinions out there. Labor and sales tax (if applicable) not included in prices. Do you have a recommendation based on these options, or your personal experience?

Option 1: Mainline Overland GTS suspension kit w 2" lift (made by Dobinson)
https://main-line-overland.myshopify.com/products/gts-suspension-kit-2rd-gen-2003-2015-toyota-tacoma?rq=yr_2010~mk_toyota~md_tacoma~cv_suspension-lift-kits
+ Firestone airbags
+ Daystar cradles

Price $1856
Pros: Package kit, no sales tax, cheap shipping
Cons: Install labor more expensive when providing own parts

Option 2: Mule Expedition Outfitters Falcon TerraFlex tow/haul kit
https://dasmule.com/products/2005-toyota-tacoma-falcon-sport-tow-haul-leveling-shock-absorber-system?_pos=8&_sid=c38ec2e94&_ss=r
+ Firestone airbags
+ Daystar cradles

Price: $1945
Pros: Leveling, no leaf springs thus MUCH cheaper install
Cons: Uses existing 10-year old leaf springs, relies on airbags to carry weight, possible quality control issues with Falcon products?, install labor more expensive when providing own parts

Option 3: AT Overland ARB/Old Man Emu Sport kit (heavy) w 2" lift
+ Firestone airbags
+ Daystar cardles

Price $1825
Pros: Seems well-regarded in overland circles
Cons: Install labor more expensive when providing own parts

Option 4: Apex Overland mixed kit
Dobinson leaf springs
Dobinson rear shocks
Toytec Boss adjustable coilovers
Dobinson U-bolt and bushing kit
+ Firestone airbags
+ Daystar cradles

Price: $2439
Pros: Adjustable front, best quality leaf springs, $15 shipping
Cons: Most expensive, install labor more expensive when providing own parts

Option 5: Folbeck Off Road (local shop) mixed kit
Icon leaf springs
Bilstein 5100 shocks
Bilstein 5100 adjustable struts
+ Firestone airbags
+ Daystar cradles

Price: $1268
Pros: Cheapest price, local shop, cheaper labor cost when shop provides parts, service is 30 minutes away if any problems
Cons: Have heard from some that Icon leaf springs are noisy, Bilstein 5100 are not as durable/stoutly manufactured as above options

Thanks in advance!

Love the write up and formatting. Sorry that I don't have any insight, but I'm following along! Good luck!

We have a 2005 Tundra with an Ocelot that I built out for the most part. Just added Airbags - rest of the suspension is stock. No issues in the last seven years of ownership (100K miles with the camper on). Just drove some true 4x4 access roads in MT/ID in June - drive slow and watch where your are putting the tires! Have run Michelin ATX LR (E rated) and BFG KO2's. Liked the Michelin's much better, no flats on either set.

Taku said:
We have a 2005 Tundra with an Ocelot that I built out for the most part. Just added Airbags - rest of the suspension is stock. No issues in the last seven years of ownership (100K miles with the camper on). Just drove some true 4x4 access roads in MT/ID in June - drive slow and watch where your are putting the tires! Have run Michelin ATX LR (E rated) and BFG KO2's. Liked the Michelin's much better, no flats on either set.
Agree. Firestone airbags only on the rear of our Tundra. Read somewhere that cradles are not recommended for use by firestone. We have been happy with our set up. Do have E rated tires.

The tundra has a heavier load carrying capacity than a Tacoma. But then again, we're not talking about a tundra here.

I can only comment on what I am familiar with, which is the ARB/OME Dakar heavy duty leaf pack. I have these and airbags with daystar cradles to carry a fleet flatbed (so heavier than what you are looking at). The springs have worked well, but I have been less happy with fancy BP-51 shocks. The OME nitro charger sport shocks are probably the right choice. The airbags are really just for fine tuning and I never run more than 25 psi in them.

One thing to note, air bags are notorious for leaking so you don't want to have to rely on these to carry the load.

Go with the spring packs(not add a leaf) and try it without the airbags, you can add the bags later if needed. I haven't used the 5100 series shocks but I've run Bilstein 4600 shocks on both the trucks my Hawk has been on with no issues although I don't get into a lot of wash board roads or heavy offroad.

Another "option" maybe to lookup a local custom spring shop in your area. They are skilled at adjusting load capabilities and maybe able to "dial" you in just what you need/want. You can arrive at the shop "armed" with your expected weight info.....just use the "configulator" on the 4wheel camper web site
to arrive at your expected camper weight and don't forget to add gear, gas,water etc to your total weight.
Thats what I am going to do on my 1995 F250/2019 Grandby

pete

I’m completely happy with the very simple Sumosprings, about $200. They are like airbags without air. So simple and easy to install and forget.

rando said:
I can only comment on what I am familiar with, which is the ARB/OME Dakar heavy duty leaf pack. I have these and airbags with daystar cradles to carry a fleet flatbed (so heavier than what you are looking at). The springs have worked well, but I have been less happy with fancy BP-51 shocks. The OME nitro charger sport shocks are probably the right choice. The airbags are really just for fine tuning and I never run more than 25 psi in them.

One thing to note, air bags are notorious for leaking so you don't want to have to rely on these to carry the load.
Pretty much this exactly. I put the Dakar leaf packs on my Tundra, and added the airbags on cradles just for some additional support if needed. The leaf packs do the majority of the job, I wanted to be sure if we are out in the middle of nowhere and have an airbag issue, we are still ok. Having said that, In 4 years and thousands of offroad miles I have not had a single issue with my airbags. I keep them at about 25psi, and they are great ot have to help fien tune your level when camping.
I run ADS Racing coilovers (with HD springs) and shocks, which could be considered a little gonzo and over the top, but I will say they soak up washboard and logging road action all day long without complaining.

i just added a one piece of Hellwig helper spring,
and on top of the spring, Boss Airbags on my Tacoma
cost less than a thousand labor included
works great!

I have a 2016 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 with a 2016 Fleet. I initially wanted to keep my truck as stock as possible because my camper is on the truck only for 3-6 months of the year, but on continuous months-long trips.

I initially upgraded to Cooper Discoverer AT3 E-rated tires and Firestone airbags inflated to 25-45 lbs. That leveled the ride, but uneven rough roads were an unpleasant adventure and segmented concrete highways a white knuckle terror. So, I next upgraded my suspension to adjustable Rancho rear shocks and front struts, which greatly improved truck behavior, but I still had to keep the airbags inflated to 25-45lbs, which resulted in a pretty harsh ride and several broken turnbuckles on rough roads.

Last summer I decided that I wanted to also pull a lightweight off-road utility trailer so I could carry a whitewater raft on a 15,000 mile, 4-month road trip. That finally pushed me over the edge and I upgraded to a custom leaf pack. I chose Boise Spring Works based on a number of positive reviews on WTW and because they are an FWC dealer, so they know exactly what's required. For a very reasonable price they shipped me one of their custom Tacoma/Fleet leaf sets and I had a local shop install them. I ditched the air bags because they were not needed. This completely cured all of my issues (well, except for being above GVRW, same as everyone else), including retaining the stock height, leveling the load, and most important, providing an improved and safer ride, with excellent performance on highways and much improved performance on gravel and rough FS/BLM roads.

The only issue now is that when not carrying the FWC I have a 2 inch rear lift. But, when not camping, the truck is mostly parked and only used to haul lumber and other stuff, so it's OK for now.

Hope this helps and good luck!

2013 TRD Taco Extended cab

I put OME Daakar Heavy Springs EL096R wil bilstein shocks in the back and BIlstein 6112 shocks in the front of my truck and I have been very happy with it. I also added ride rite airbags with daystar cradles, but I don't really need them.

Truck rides like a dream with the camper on it, you really can't tell it is there. Truck also rides pretty good empty. I put the 6112 up front for the adjustability of them and they got good reviews. I

The daakar springs do squeak a bit but it really isn't a big deal. I have seen people who jack their truck up, clean out in between them and grease them with good luck. I talked to a spring shock who would build me a new spring pack and they wanted $1300. I live in alaska, shipiing cost a couple hundred bucks, but i had a known quantity with the OME springs and they were cheaper.

Good luck with your decision.

rubberlegs said:
I’m completely happy with the very simple Sumosprings, about $200. They are like airbags without air. So simple and easy to install and forget.
I am thinking about Timbren's and stock suspension - similar to sumo. This will be for a new Tacoma - DCLB.
Not much off-road travel if any. Just state and National Parks.

Are Timbrens good enough?

I have a 2005 access cab Tacoma with ARB /EMU stock weight lift, with Firestone airbags running them at about 30+psi, ko2 tires . Carrying a full Bobcat camper. I feel that it handles great.

Upwind Hacker said:
I am thinking about Timbren's and stock suspension - similar to sumo. This will be for a new Tacoma - DCLB.
Not much off-road travel if any. Just state and National Parks.

Are Timbrens good enough?
What camper do you have?

Karlton said:
What camper do you have?
I have a Fleet shell. It will now be going on a 2021 Tacoma DCLB. The Fleet will be on for 3 months of the year. For the rest of the year I would like a stock ride.

Hi Zirkel,

2017 TRD OffRoad + Fleet with factory interior on full time.

I began with Airbags. It was "okay"...but you could feel the slight sway, etc....and I had big concerns about what would happen if an airbag failed far off road?!

We travel a lot on roads that need our truck to be on its game, so I made the decision to add leafs to the rear springs.

Worked with MIT in San Diego - springs were sent out to Deaver in Santa Ana. before doing the springs, we weighed the loaded camper + Truck to calculate the springs.

The leaf spring upgrade was huge. The truck felt much better on the road and I'm no longer worried about airbag failure off road.

If I did it over, I would skip the airbags and go straight to springs. The only reason to use airbags is if your camper comes on and off the truck.

Best of luck. You're going to be so stoked : )

Karl

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom