Swing Away Bike Rack Step

Serat

I put the Rockymounts swing away bike rack on my camper and it works great but I need a solution for the step. I have prototyped one from wood and would remake it out of metal if it was good, but it's not.

The current step is too high for a first step and causes me to step on the mount, which is kind of unstable and probably not too good for it. I'd like a two-step solution without designing some complex weldment (although I will if I have to). The only places to attach are below the mount because when it's closed either the swing arm or the bike is in the way.

I feel like someone out there has solved this. BTW, it's on a Tacoma, if that matters.

Thanks
Serat

Attachments

• 20230813_122004.jpg
    20230813_122004.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 20230813_122018.jpg
    20230813_122018.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 90
Serat,
I made a very crude, but useful, step that fit on top of the rack mount and bumper --see photo below.
The trick is to bolt it though the hole for a towing ball on the bumper. I used a carriage bolt and a fender washer underneath. You also have to make sure it does not extend too far out from the bumper of the rack brace will hit it when you fold it up. To keep it from bending, I screwed a small post on the bottom near the front (see picture of step upside down). That rests on the rack tubing that goes into the receiver hitch (sorry could not get a good picture of that.). I made this prototype to try and then was going to have it fabricated out of aluminum, but never got around to it. It is easy to make this with hand tool and left over lumber. I glued on a rubber mat to keep it from being slippery when wet. Not pretty but works well.

Attachments

• IMG_4686.jpg
    IMG_4686.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4687.jpg
    IMG_4687.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4690.jpg
    IMG_4690.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 58
Is the rocky mount rack far enough away from the camper with bikes loaded that the handle bars don’t hit the back of the camper? I am looking for a swing rack for my Tacoma fleet but am worried it might be two close to carry two mountain bikes.

tylers said:
Is the rocky mount rack far enough away from the camper with bikes loaded that the handle bars don’t hit the back of the camper? I am looking for a swing rack for my Tacoma fleet but am worried it might be two close to carry two mountain bikes.
rocky mount works great with a camper, or tailgate for that matter.

tylers said:
Its tight, but might depend how wide your handlebars are. My wifes bike is an XS and it doesn't touch, mine is a medium and they don't touch, but when things get bouncy they hit the camper .. Easy enough to twist the bars a touch if needed

I only have the outer tray attached right now. The inner tray (measured to center line of tray) is about 11 inches from the camper door. It is about 12.5 inches from the bumper. My handlebars measure 29" wide.
Let me know if you need any other measurements.
I really like the rack with the small exception that I have to remove my fork mounted rack from the front. Otherwise, super quality item.

Attachments

• 20231011_144638 small.jpg
    20231011_144638 small.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 59
Have a small steel plate welded to the top of small square tube. Better, weld square tube to the bottom of the step plate that fits over the racks vertical square tube.

Here I had round tune welded to a 12" extension. I have large and small size step plates that drop onto the tube. Can adjust height or rotate to a side.

Just posted these to another thread but will include them here too.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:42609]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:44769]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:44768]

I tow a trailer so need the hitch free. Steps needs to rotate to the side to clear the trailer tongue. Same issues for a bike rack. I have been looking at swing hitches for mounting an antenna mast that will not block the door. Probably just weld a square tube to the side of the extension and slip on a length of tube to clear the door.

It did not cost much to have this fabricated.

K7MDL said:
I have been looking at swing hitches for mounting an antenna mast that will not block the door.
I bought a four foot length of 2” angle aluminum 1/8” thick and clamped it to the driver side jack mount & marked the three holes of the jack mount on the angle aluminum. Drilled the three marked holes and inserted bolts,washers, & used hand nuts to attach to the jack mount.

Got Quick Fist rubber clamps of appropriate size for mast and mounted them to angle aluminum to hold a Harbor Freight telescoping flagpole.

I used the 16 ft flagpole that doesn’t seem to be available now but 20 ft gets the height up about 23 ft or more depending on where the mounting holes are drilled into the angle aluminum.

With the collapsed flagpole attached to the angle aluminum, it fits inside across my front dinette Hawk. I carry it there while traveling and attach the unit to the jack mount upon arrival. A short ladder or step stool may be needed to attach the antenna with coax & lift the telescoping mast to desired height. No machining required other than drilling a few holes in the angle aluminum.

Removing the top mounted ball allows one to pre-attach a short PVC pipe to the antenna and drop it into the flagpole from above. I can get an antenna erected in 5 to 10 minutes.

Paul

https://www.etrailer.com/cargo-tie-downs/quick-fist/qf10010.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ft-telescoping-flag-pole-kit-64344.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144304362626?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338590836&toolid=10044&customid=d79ced23da581d4a744b880b01906108

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom