Switch rear Factory Satellite Antenna on 2012 RAM truck MOD

jlrray

Advanced Member
Love my satellite radio - but when I put the camper on my truck, the Camper overhang covers the default location of the external sat radio. Scoured online and found a cool little trick that should work on similar RAM trucks.

on the right side of the passenger compartment is a small kick panel that is attached to the door rocker panel. If you move it over you should see two antennas. A white one which is connected to the standard AM / FM antenna & a smaller Yellow FAKRAS connection which is connected to your sat radio.

I found my old magnetic sirius radio antenna and stuck it on the roof of the cab. Then followed the cable down the windshield weather stripping till I found a spot that I could run along the rubber door seal.

I separated the yellow fakras connector which connects the antenna to the radio. This is located behind the little kick panel. My connector wouldn't fit with the FAKRAS connector, so I carefully removed the small plastic clip using a tiny flat head screw driver and the cable connection pulled right out. I then connected my mag antenna to the radio and its done.

If you have a straight connection on the end of your mag antenna (Mine had a 90 degree elbow) you can buy a cheap $8 adapter that will let you connect them directly to the standard harness.

I Suppose you could modify the kick panel with a small access door to get to the connection faster should you want to disconnect the magentic antenna or if you mounted an antenna to the camper- but I just put it on the cab toward the front. Seems to work great.

Behind the panel
IMG_1699.JPG

One end of the FAKRAs connector. This is the end that you want to remove the clip from.
IMG_1700.JPG

The end of the DEFAULT factory Antenna
IMG_1701.JPG

Connected together without the FAKRAS connector
IMG_1702.JPG

great idea. I've got a 2014 and my antenna is in a different place but will still be covered by the overhang. I hadn't really considered a temp antenna option but am going to poke around and see if its as easy on the 2014's to hook one up. Thanks for the tip.

Just a quick update. While enroute to my destination, I realized that the factory NAV wasn't working correctly. At first I thought it needed some calibration or re-initialization, but after further inspection the magnetic antenna I had only worked for Sirius radio and not GPS signal. You would need an antenna like this:

http://www.oemautopartsco.com/products/sirius-dual-antenna-kit

in order to receive both. Unfortunately, i can't seem to find it available in a magnetic option; however, when I purchase it, I'll try and fabricate a mount with some rare earth magnets and see if that will work or if it will negatively affect the GPS antenna.

J

I had the exact experience this weekend. The factory navigation is mediocre but convenient . I'll be drilling a hole in the roof soon

Can you use two separate antennas? The shark fin on my Tacoma is covered as well and I added an XM and a GPS magnetic antenna, one on each side by the bottom of the windshield. Seems to work just fine.

I believe my truck only has a spot for one fakras connector and one am/fm. Good to know tho.

Any luck with getting this to work? I kinda miss my navi . Have had the same problem since getting my fwc

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom