Tacoma cold weather start

takesiteasy

Well, I figured today would be a good test of the truck's ability to start under adverse conditions. We have had a few days in a row where the high was below zero with seriously cold wind chill temps- like 50°-60° below. Last night the temp dropped to somewhere around -25°F. Out of curiosity, I had checked the battery yesterday because I had had several days of cold starts with short drives and not much charging. Then it had sat for several days without starting. The starting battery registered 12 volts- moderately discharged.

Today, with the temp at around -18°F I decided to try to start the truck, figuring the discharged battery would be challenged. I kinda hoped it would fail which would give me a chance to try a self-jump from my back-up battery which is mounted in the engine bay. It registered 12.8 volts- sitting fully charged since I took the camper off the truck a few weeks ago.

I scraped the accumulated snow and ice off the truck, got in and turned the key. It turned over pretty slowly and grumbled about the cold, but low and behold it started. I didn't get a chance to try the self-jump after all. Gotta love the Tacoma.

Just a few more days in the deep freeze and things are supposed to warm up. We are having an old time winter this year.

P.S. It's so cold that my tire pressure sensor light came on- the tires have lost enough pressure in the cold to turn the light on. First time I have seen it. Nice to know it works.

I never even wait for the grid heater to run on my diesel. Oh darn, we're down to the high 50's this week, I better bundle up )

That's so cold that I doubt the block heater in my diesel would be able to warm the engine. Here in coastal CA we're having the best or worst winter I've ever seen; depends what you like. Days are warm and clear which is nice but we haven't had more than an inch or two of rain in probably 8-10 months! It's the driest I've ever seen it in my area.

takesiteasy said:
Well, I figured today would be a good test of the truck's ability to start under adverse conditions. We have had a few days in a row where the high was below zero with seriously cold wind chill temps- like 50°-60° below. Last night the temp dropped to somewhere around -25°F. Out of curiosity, I had checked the battery yesterday because I had had several days of cold starts with short drives and not much charging. Then it had sat for several days without starting. The starting battery registered 12 volts- moderately discharged.

Today, with the temp at around -18°F I decided to try to start the truck, figuring the discharged battery would be challenged. I kinda hoped it would fail which would give me a chance to try a self-jump from my back-up battery which is mounted in the engine bay. It registered 12.8 volts- sitting fully charged since I took the camper off the truck a few weeks ago.

I scraped the accumulated snow and ice off the truck, got in and turned the key. It turned over pretty slowly and grumbled about the cold, but low and behold it started. I didn't get a chance to try the self-jump after all. Gotta love the Tacoma.

Just a few more days in the deep freeze and things are supposed to warm up. We are having an old time winter this year.

P.S. It's so cold that my tire pressure sensor light came on- the tires have lost enough pressure in the cold to turn the light on. First time I have seen it. Nice to know it works.
takesiteasy, how I remember those days! How many miles does it take driving for the tires to get round again? :)

Stay warm!

My son in law in from MN. The daughter called one time from the family cabin on lake Bemidji. She said they were taking coals out of the fire place and putting them under the old chevy truck to get it warm enough to turn over. It worked but she will not go back in the winter. I feel for all my friends in MN.

ski3pin said:
takesiteasy, how I remember those days! How many miles does it take driving for the tires to get round again? :)

Stay warm!
Ski, yeah it can take quite a while in this weather, especially at low speeds. For those not familiar with the cold, with the loss of pressure, you get a nice flat spot on the bottom of the tire as the truck sits. The cold weather basically freezes the tire in that shape. The tires eventually warm up and return to proper pressure and shape. But when you first start driving, it gives you quite a bumpy ride! :LOL:

I remember one time back in the 70's, my car froze totally solid. Left it parked on an exposed hill. Come morning, wouldn't start, wouldn't even turn over. I called for a tow. The driver thought he could do a push start, so I got in and he pushed the car with the rubber bumper on his truck. After a few yards, he stopped and came up to my window and told me to take the car out of gear and take the brake off. I told him it wasn't in gear and the brake was off! The car was just sliding on the frozen ground- the wheels weren't even turning. :eek: We had to tow it into town and put it in the shop to warm up. Once we hit clear pavement, it broke the wheels loose and they started to roll again. haha.

What a crazy place to live.

billharr said:
My son in law in from MN. The daughter called one time from the family cabin on lake Bemidji. She said they were taking coals out of the fire place and putting them under the old chevy truck to get it warm enough to turn over. It worked but she will not go back in the winter. I feel for all my friends in MN.
Bill, when winter camping, years ago I used a camp stove for the same purpose- put it under the engine on full to warm it up enough to start. Yep, when I was much younger I used to go cross country skiing and camping in this kind of weather. We didn't even use a tent. Just built a fire and slept on the snow in a couple of sleeping bags. Can't even believe it myself now.

A few times of having vehicles with a true air temp of -45 - either had to use the classic MSR XGK blast furnace stove for an hour or more in the morning or leave the truck running all night. And despite what folks think, it feels colder at -60 than -45!

Taku, coldest I've been in is -57°F true temp. We were ice fishing in a heated fish house where the heater was malfunctioning- wouldn't turn off so the inside temp was like 90°. When you went outside to pee you were instantly engulfed in a fog of ice crystals from the heat and perspiration coming off your body. Couldn't see a thing. Had to keep the truck running that night. Glad we did because many were stuck in the morning with frozen cars.

Down here it is cold too + 38*-40* at 6 am. Warming uo to mid 70's by noon.
Am surprised they streamed profanity on air....unless that video was home-made. Speaking of which
when the clip is finished check out the purple colored dress on the reporter in the collage of video clips following.
You all have a great day.

Weather report was good....the clip Jim pointed out....was better and a perfect reason why I like warmer climates!
happy0069.gif

Back
Top Bottom