Tacoma + FWC best match: Access or double cab?

zirkel

Greetings,

Currently shopping for Gen 2 Tacoma to pair with a FWC with LIGHT build out. The question: best to go with access cab (Fleet) or double cab (Swift)?

Access Cab (Fleet)
Pros:
1. 6' bed -- most usable camper space

Cons:
1. Least usable cab storage space
2. 100# heavier camper

Double Cab (Swift)
Pros:
1. Most usable cab storage space
2. 100# lighter camper

Cons:
1. 5' bed -- least usable camper space

Two of the biggest complaints I often hear about the Tacoma/FWC combo is 1) a lack of storage space and 2) the camper often meeting or exceeding the vehicle's carrying capacity. Doing a double cab build allows for substantially more back cab storage space, especially if removing the back seats an utilizing a storage platform, such as that made by Goose Gear:

https://www.goose-gear.com/products/toyota-tacoma-2nd-row-seat-delete-for-2nd-and-3rd-generations

This option reduces the living space of the camper by about 1'. In my mind, the camper will mostly be used by 1-2 people for sleeping, and cooking during inclement weather. I'm thinking we could work with the shorter 5' bed.

In doing a minimal build to keep weight down, I can also see the advantage of going with a lighter camper, hence the double cab + Swift.

Any insight here from those who have wrestled with the same issue?

Thanks!

There is a curb weight difference between the access cab and the double cab. For the 3rd gen Tacoma it is about 150lbs, so the total weight between the 4-door + swift and 2-door + fleet is about the same.

Personally I would think the Swift is too cramped to be functional. We use our camper a lot during the shoulder seasons and winter in the desert, so realistically we end up cooking and hanging out inside in the evenings. Even the slide in Fleet was a little too small for me for longer term cold season use. It wasn't until the flatbed versions came out that we thought it would have enough space to be worth it. We ended up with the double cab, long bed and a Fleet flatbed because I also wanted the extra storage room in the cab. In retrospect, the access cab would have been fine, saved some weight and ended up with a shorter wheel base. But that maybe just a function of all the extra storage on the flatbed models and the under bed boxes.

I am not sure where you are located, but can you make a trip to a dealer to sit in both a swift and a fleet? I imagine that will solve your dilemma in short order.

On the weight issue, it is critical to factor it into your calculations, but also realize that you will need to upgrade the suspension with either choice, so 100lbs out of 6000 is probably not a huge factor one way or the other.

Good luck on your decision and hunt!

x2 on the payload difference- it's a wash.

We have a shell camper and the access cab with a rear seat area platform and find it is plenty of room. We use a trailer when we need more gear space. I like the longer bed (and camper) and shorter wheel base. Also, the truck is more useful for hauling when the camper is off with the longer bed.

We haven't done anything to the suspension other than the factory extra leaf and so far it is ok. We probably could use some new shocks at this point.

Thank you both for your insight! Will most likely go Gen 2 Access + Fleet SHELL, which is the opposite of my initial intent.

Have already performed research on suspension upgrade to accommodate the camper weight.

Dave

You might compare wheelbase and turning radius. I think the access cab has a tighter turning radius and shorter wheelbase, both of which are helpful when offroading.

I have a '13 Acab PreRunner (+ tow pkg.) with a '15 Fleet, Front Dinette. I live in my camper 100% of the time (saving on high rent costs-Silicon Valley till I retire soon). I had the truck first and got that model since I did not need to haul others often to need the D/C style. I find that the area behind the front seats is quite roomy, especially compared to my old '99 Xtra Cab. I have had 2 people sit in the seats for short drives and they have said it's not that bad. For me, it works well to haul additional stuff, a generator if needed for camping, etc. I also believe the hauling capacity is a bit more than the D/C.

As for the camper, I felt the Fleet was quite larger than the the Swift I saw and was glad I found one exactly the way I wanted it for much less than new. Once I got it, I found that it hung over the end of the bed a fair amount so I changed out the front camper bumpers to save a couple inches to move it forward towards the back of the cab. I also added air bags/cradles, but have yet to change out the rear leafs. I put in Bilstein 5100's when I first got my truck, a 100% improvement on ride (something I found odd for a stock truck, bouncing back end). You could go to coil-overs for an even better hauling situation, but I find what I have has worked well. The last thing I have added was a heavy duty telescopic driveshaft, something no one seems to talk about. The Tacoma has a unique OEM type that I found from research can wear hard on the center section mount with the heavy weight added. It drove better once I put it in, with no slight "bucking" on strong acceleration like I had originally. If you don't put your camper on much, you probably could go without it.

Since I live in mine, I strongly think you should consider the size of the Fleet for the extra room. I wouldn't trade that for more storage any day (you still have the front area behind the seats). Once you have the Fleet, only a Grandby or Flatbed model would be huge inside after checking them out. I can't see going smaller now to a Swift. If I was with another person regularly, I think it would be even more important.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom