Tacoma MPG w/ FWC?

joemyself

Been thinking about getting a Four Wheel Camper for my Tacoma. What kind of MPGs are you getting with your Tacoma + FWC? Also, do you ever feel like they're too underpowered with a loaded FWC? Would be helpful to include if you are stock or if you have bigger tires, heavier bumpers, etc that would also affect mileage.. Thanks!

Good question. You'll find a wide variety of answers. It really depends on how and where you drive, what you've done to your suspension, how much stuff you carry, and whether your FWC will be on full time or part time. As I recall, there was a good discussion about campers and mpg on the Expedition Portal, plus many related discussions here.

I have a 2016 Tacoma (SR5, V6, automatic, 4x4, access cab, stock except for e-rated stock size Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires, RideRite airbags, Rancho adjustable shocks/struts). I carry a 2016 Fleet (front dinette with typical kitchen, furnace, hot water, 200 watt flexible solar panels on roof; dry weight approx. 1320#). My camper is on the truck 5 months out of the year and 755 of the time I'm by myself. I try to pack as lightly and simply as possible (think backpacking with a truck/camper), but I estimate I'm still typically 500 lbs. over GVW. Airbags are typically inflated 45/25 lbs (left/right); tires 45/55 lbs (front/back), shocks are set 7 front and 8 rear. I adjust tires, airbags, shocks depending on road conditions, handling and how much weight I'm carrying. It took me a while to learn what combos work best in what conditions. If you search the WTW truck forum you'll find many lively discussions about suspension modifications and handling issues. I have 24,000 miles on this combo (only 8000 miles with adjustable shocks, which I find are essential for my needs).

I drive very conservatively and because of this, generally avoid high speed highways. The majority of miles are paved roads at 45-60 mph, but I log 2500-3500 miles per summer on high-speed (well-graded) and low speed (wash board, pot-holed, rocky, sandy) FS and BLM roads. I occasionally travel on 4-wheel drive roads, but I don't seek them out. I consistently average 20+ mpg (19-22 mpg) across all conditions. In my experience, driving above 65 mph and/or driving into headwinds are mpg killers and can easily drop mpg's down into the 15-17 mph range. The truck can handle mountain passes (4-7+% grades), but I drop my speed to 40-50 mph, but I could push it to 55+ mph if I had to. If I'm conservative, my truck/camper combo easily carries the load and handles well. It drives best with ECT engaged and it doesn't seem to change my mpg. I often use the manual shifting mode to ascend/descend big mountain passes. If I'm holding up traffic, even one vehicle, I pull over or otherwise make it easy to be passed. I have the retired luxury of not being in a hurry but I know other folks sometimes are.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your research and decision!

Redfish has a good report.

My rig is similiar: a 2013 Tacoma (SR5, V6, automatic, 4x4, access cab, stock except for e-rated - LT265R75/16 HanKooks) . Our 2012 Eagle modified shell is mounted full time (bolted down). (For details click on the link under my signature). Truck just turned 51,000 miles. I check the lock nuts every month. Still tight after 5 years. We average 9,500 miles per year. 5,000 camping. 300 miles bad desert washboard mostly to the Saline Valley hot springs because at age 74 none of my old desert buddies do this activity any more.

Redfish is getting better overall milege because he drives slower. We camp 30 days per year. 14 in Death Valley, The rest of the time we remove the camping modules except for the Engel compressor fridege use the truck to haul my RC airplanes. On pavement I drive below 70mph.

Mileges: In Calif I average 16.5 empty on the highway except in Oregon...18,5 mpg. Reason only one interstate highway. Rest of the roads 55mph. Going to Death Valley for a week...700 pounds overweight going North (uphill) 15.5 mpg. Going south 300 pounds lighter 17.5. Towing the Samurai 14,5. Around town 14.5 on 91 octane fuel (better performance and one mpg better mileage.)

GVWR Truck is 5500 with "P" series tires Load Range C. You will need "E" range tires with a camper. They are rated at 6,000 pounds each at 80 psi. We keep them at 35psi on highway and 30psi off-road. So about 3,000 pounds each or 12,000 pounds total. Camper and truck no driver, full tank of fuel weighs 5,500 pounds.

Our modified shell with no food, water, misc camping supplies weighs 1,100 pounds. The regular camper weighs about 300 pounds more.

I bought the camper to go to the desert (14 days per year) .Solo camping. The wife goes with me to state parks and trips the other 14 days. If you do mostly developed camping (close to food stores) you don't need to haul everything.

Truck size
The Fleet or Eagle (used) are the same size between the wheel wells. The 7 inch difference is above truck bed rails. Its very tight for a couple. (Eagle is perfect Solo). If you can afford to replace the truck too. Buy a Full size truck and a Hawk. You will be very happy with that combination.

I am around 16 mpg with a heavily optioned Fleet flatbed on a 16 Tacoma V6 Double Cab 4x4. This is primarily highway driving in the rockies - 65-75 mph, hilly terrain as well as dirt ams secondary roads. Plenty of power (for a camper, not a sports car). We back off to 50 - 55mph going up to Eisenhower Tunnel/ Vail Pass, but probably could push it harder, just don't see the point.

You will need to do some suspension work to carry a Fleet on a Tacoma.

I’m in a 2017 Tacoma dual cab with Fleet shell. Fox 2.0 coils in front and Fox adjustable remote shocks in rear. Firestone airbags and Daystar cradles. Stock leaf springs for now but will probably have new ones made up since that camper will stay on the majority of the time. Wildpeak AT3W in 285/70/17 so pushing some extra meat.

Did a full tank of strictly rolling highway miles for work and averaged 16mpg. My biggest grip is the 15G gas tank so I’ll be looking for options if I don’t upgrade to another platform first.

Also adding CBI aluminum bumper and winch next week which will probably cost me 1 mpg but will make me feel better about driving around the west at night (deer).
IMG_6546.JPG

lactic said:
I’m in a 2017 Tacoma dual cab with Fleet shell. Fox 2.0 coils in front and Fox adjustable remote shocks in rear. Firestone airbags and Daystar cradles. Stock leaf springs for now but will probably have new ones made up since that camper will stay on the majority of the time. Wildpeak AT3W in 285/70/17 so pushing some extra meat.

Did a full tank of strictly rolling highway miles for work and averaged 16mpg. My biggest grip is the 15G gas tank so I’ll be looking for options if I don’t upgrade to another platform first.

Also adding CBI aluminum bumper and winch next week which will probably cost me 1 mpg but will make me feel better about driving around the west at night (deer).
attachicon.gif
IMG_6546.JPG
I thought the tank size was the same as 2nd generation which is 21.1 gal and even that is small, especially driving rough roads where I find I get as little as 12 mpg in deep sand.

BillTheHiker said:
I thought the tank size was the same as 2nd generation which is 21.1 gal and even that is small, especially driving rough roads where I find I get as little as 12 mpg in deep sand.
I might be. I just know that when I run to the low fuel light, it takes between 15-16 to full. I have heard that you can actually go another 100 miles after the light comes on based on residual in the tank. Don’t know if I want to test that theory though!

The gen 3 tacoma is 21.1 gallons. I've run it down to 0.5 gallons before filling up. 2016 access cab

2006 Tacoma Double Cab here, higher end suspension upgrades, raised up a couple inches and D off-road tires. I have a Swift on it all the time so far.

First trip with it, I drove normal on the interstate, 75-80. Drove well but Mileage was 14-15 and I thought, this is terrible.

Went out next time with heavier load of stuff, and stayed on highways (not interstate), going around 60 most of the time and got close to 20 MPG. Big difference. If I go 55, I can get back above 20.

Thanks everyone for your replies I really appreciate the feedback. I'm really torn between keeping my Tacoma (which I've already put almost 14k into) and getting a Swift. Other option is to sell the Tacoma and get a full sized Ram 2500 with diesel and add a Hawk. I love the size of the Tacoma (for tight trails in the Sierra Nevada) but fear I'll get terrible gas mileage and that storage will be an issue. I like the Ram for its added power and space, but fear it's too big of a rig for the trails I like to do. They both have their pro's and cons and It's been one hell of a decision and I keep going back and forth. lol. Hoping to make a decision after I see some setups in person at Overland Expo.

my opinion ...

You should keep your truck small based on this "...but fear it's too big of a rig for the trails I like to do."

If a larger truck is going to stop you from doing what you enjoy doing, you are going to regret your decision even with more space.
It's far easier to shrink the amount of stuff you take with you than it is to shrink a larger vehicle.

I get 16 mpg in my 2010 Tacoma with the 4 cylinder engine and Fleet. It doesn’t seem to matter what type of driving I’m doing. I always get about 16 mpg. I do have oversized e-rated BFG all terrain tires. I like the reliability of the Tacoma, especially with the 4 cylinder timing chain engine and a 5 manual transmission.

pghjon said:
my opinion ...

You should keep your truck small based on this "...but fear it's too big of a rig for the trails I like to do."

If a larger truck is going to stop you from doing what you enjoy doing, you are going to regret your decision even with more space.
It's far easier to shrink the amount of stuff you take with you than it is to shrink a larger vehicle.
Thanks for your advice, you've got a great point. I'm pretty sure this is what my decision will be: sell my short bed Tacoma and get an access cab long bed Tacoma. This would allow me to keep the midsize setup but have more room with a FWC Fleet.

I guess I'm playing the devils advocate when I say that I consistently get 15-17 mpg on varying road conditions with my f350 and grandby. Believe me, I'm a huge toyota fan my 88' 4runner is my pride and joy but I've never had to modify anything with the ford or worry about weight. It holds around 30 gallons of diesel so it has a huge range. I've also never had to turn around due to a road being too rough or narrow, if that were the case I'd rather be hiking it anyways. I also have two kids and two dogs so I need the extra space, some folks don't. I hope you find the right set up.

Drove from Denver to Bluff Utah area and back and averaged just under 16mpg. I have a fleet shell with couch. I have basic all season tires at 40psi. I also added a afe air intake. I feel like the power is alright. I can climb the passes at 80 mph on the interstate.

I get about 17 most of the time with 2011 Tacoma Access Cab and Fleet. I run slightly taller E rated KO2 tires, Firestone air bags and upgraded shocks. I find that the mileage drops off substantially at anything over 65 MPH. I have a couple of spots that I like to fish that you just flat can not get into with a bigger truck because of the required turning radius, but 99% of the places I camp I could get to with any well equipped 4X4. And there are some parking structures that I occasionally go into that would be really difficult without the slightly smaller size and turning ability. And my biggest reason I can fit the camper, truck and car side by side in my garage, but could not with a wider truck. I am 300 lbs over weight and do not feel underpowered at all. I would love to get the mileage of my Prius, have it corner like my 911 did or run the quarter mile like a Shelby cobra, but after all it is a pickup camper and if that is your expectation it functions fine.

moveinon said:
I get about 17 most of the time with 2011 Tacoma Access Cab and Fleet. I run slightly taller E rated KO2 tires, Firestone air bags and upgraded shocks. I find that the mileage drops off substantially at anything over 65 MPH. I have a couple of spots that I like to fish that you just flat can not get into with a bigger truck because of the required turning radius, but 99% of the places I camp I could get to with any well equipped 4X4. And there are some parking structures that I occasionally go into that would be really difficult without the slightly smaller size and turning ability. And my biggest reason I can fit the camper, truck and car side by side in my garage, but could not with a wider truck. I am 300 lbs over weight and do not feel underpowered at all. I would love to get the mileage of my Prius, have it corner like my 911 did or run the quarter mile like a Shelby cobra, but after all it is a pickup camper and if that is your expectation it functions fine.
Thanks for your info! It sounds like the sweet spot for these Tacoma's w/ campers is in the 55-65 mph range. Do you have an auto or manual transmission? Also what size are your tires?

2017 DCSB with 6MT and FWC Swift full camper. 2 inch lift standard shocks and airbags. Stock tires. Getting about 15mpg average. Agreed the range bothers me just as much as the lackluster MPG. The only full size that will beat this would be F-150 ecoboost but almost any lift or tire/wheel increase will quickly put it back to this range.
I brooded about this for months before buying this rig. The colorado diesel will beat it hands down but as you will see in the other forums it comes at a price. An older full size diesel will beat it too but will be rolling coal and modified.
It is just difficult to have an adventure vehicle get out of the mid teens.
The Tacoma is no powerhouse and despite the cult following has nothing super special about it technically.
I ultimately just went with what was the most fun to drive and the Taco with manual transmission won hands down. There is a lot of chatter about he Orange Virus tune which apparently transforms the drive-ability and eeks out another 1.5 mpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom