Tacoma suspension upgrade w/ Eagle Shell

esc

I'm getting an FWC Eagle shell installed on a 2015 Tacoma DCLB in the next few weeks. I'm trying to figure out which suspension upgrades would be best for me. I already know that I will upgrade to E-rated tires, but am trying to figure out if air bags, timbrens, custom leaf springs, or a combination would be best. I will mostly be on paved roads, but would periodically travel on forest service roads and some off-roading to get to camping and fishing spots.

I know there is a lot of information in this forum on Tacoma suspension upgrades to handle an FWC. Several of the threads are a couple years old now. For those of you who have had a Tacoma, or other mid-size truck, and an FWC for a while now, what suspension upgrades did you make and would you do it again?

I really appreciate any insight you can provide. I hope to start contributing some answers to questions after I have some miles and nights with the truck/camper combo. Thanks

I've a 06 Taco DCLB with ATC Bobcat. D rate tire is enough for me not sure if you need E rate tires. I've add-a-leaf and Firestone airbags in the back. Bilstein 5100 shocks. This setup has worked pretty nicely for me. Some like the simplicity timbrens but I like the air bags for their flexibility, the water tank and gas tank are on the driver side, air bags give me the ability to level the truck side to side I run 40psi on driver side and 25psi on passenger side. When the camper is off I run the bags a minimum required 10 psi.

2011 Eagle on a 2001 extra cab Tacoma. Started with the stock suspension, Added the Firestone Ride Rite airbags (they did a great job) and then decided to add a leaf spring. It rides great now but have to add weight in back when the camper is not on as it is too springy. That is ok for me as I am in New England and must remove camper and have weight for snow ...we get tons.

I have a 10 DCLB. Originally started out with Load Range E tires, TSB Leaf Springs, and Ride Rite Air Bags. Since then I've upgraded to Old Man Emu w/aal, and added Daystar Cradles to the Air Bags. I also added Stainless Steel brake lines all around.

2005 Tacoma DCLB 4x4 with 2014 Fleet with OME 886 front, Nitrocharger sport shocks, Dakar springs w/ extra leaf and Timbrens rear. After a couple years and moving up from a Flippac to FWC I needed/wanted more lift and stiffer springs in the rear to level out the truck/load. I called ARB USA and they recommended mounting the overload leaf upside down which has worked well. I plan to have Alcan make a set of rear springs this summer. If I was starting with a new truck/camper I'd go with Alcans from the get go.
Cheers

2012 Eagle shell on 2013 Tacoma X-cab. Mounted full time

23,000 miles on a custom 4-leaf spring set from our local RV spring shop. Stll love the ride. Camper rides flat. Definitely
Would do this again.

The same spring shop built a 5 leaf custom set for carrying same camper shell on 1999 Tacoma 4 cylinder X-cab . That worked well too.

Captm said:
2005 Tacoma DCLB 4x4 with 2014 Fleet with OME 886 front, Nitrocharger sport shocks, Dakar springs w/ extra leaf and Timbrens rear. After a couple years and moving up from a Flippac to FWC I needed/wanted more lift and stiffer springs in the rear to level out the truck/load. I called ARB USA and they recommended mounting the overload leaf upside down which has worked well. I plan to have Alcan make a set of rear springs this summer. If I was starting with a new truck/camper I'd go with Alcans from the get go.
Cheers
With the flipped overloads, are your timbrens still contacting the frame with the camper loaded? I'd like to see some pictures (overall and the springs underneath if you have some).

I'll still pondering the different ways I can put together Dakar springs with add a leaf and timbrens to get the truck to sit and ride how I want.

Thanks

The problem with these threads is that the OP winds up with 20 mostly different opinions and perhaps is no more the wiser in terms of actually making a decision! There are several really good options listed so far.

Some parameters might help:

Do you plan to remove the camper in between trips? If so, I'd strongly recommend air bags on stock rear springs as your overload/leveling device, along with easily adjustable heavy-duty shocks front and rear. That's the only way you'll maintain a decent ride both loaded and unloaded.

If the camper will remain in place all the time, you can still go the air bag route as it allows you to adjust the rear suspension height between an empty camper and one loaded with water, luggage, and food. Although we run stock rear springs and Boss air bags (and adjustable Boss shocks) right now, I suspect the 'perfect' setup would be a set of custom rear springs that would just level the truck with an empty camper, along with air bags to compensate for additional load.

I've found no need to upgrade the front springs on any Tacoma; they're already too stiff.

Thanks for all the knowledge and sharing your experiences. If nothing else, all your responses tell me that there are many options that work, and if it worked for you then its a good option.

I plan on having the camper on for 8 to 9 months out of the year, and don't plan on taking it off between trips. I have something else that can get me around town. I was initially planning on just running the air bags. The ability to adjust is really appealing, but then I got concerned about torn bags. Anybody have experience having to drive when the bags gave out? So I thought I would go with a combo of custom leaf springs to handle most of the camper weight and let the air bags do the rest, giving me the ability adjust and not having too stiff a ride if/when I take the camper off. But I'm having trouble spending the extra $400 for the airbags on top of the custom springs. So I'm leaning toward Alcan custom leaf springs, and suffer the rough ride when the camper is off (hoping that I won't be spending the $400 on chiropractors instead). I guess I still have a little more time to mull this over. I just want to be done with this and be impatient about the arrival of my camper.

Thanks again everybody for your input, it really is helpful.

Depends on where you plan to go with you setup. I only use my camper on forest roads and mild off roads.
I had my Firestone air bags for 6-7 years they are still in perfect working condition.

Alex said:
Depends on where you plan to go with you setup. I only use my camper on forest roads and mild off roads.
I had my Firestone air bags for 6-7 years they are still in perfect working condition.
I'll be using mine the same way.

I've seen more cracked spring leaves - especially add-a-leafs, which tend to concentrate stress - than I have torn air bags. Firestone or Boss bags have scant chance of failing without something really weird happening, or very poor installation. I had an Air Lift bag fail years ago due to a badly designed mount that walked out from under the spring U-bolt.

But if the camper will be on for most of the year you can always throw some bags of sand in the back when it's off.

2005 DCLB Tacoma, 2014 Fleet here. Firestone air bags are all you'll need, and we've towed a 20' bass boat with a 400 pound tongue load, and had a dirt bike on the high carrier at the same time, and done all three separate. Spend as much as you'd like, but it works awesome for us. Back end of the truck rides high even with all the weight, and looks great. 25k miles, 75 nights in the last four months. Have fun!!

I think the OP will have an easier time choosing the correct set up with the shell he's ordered, and the long bed will help with the load balance, as opposed to the short bed. It's going to be much lighter providing it doesn't get loaded down with too much gear. Refer to my post for the weights I discovered after taking delivery of my full build Finch http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8738-slowags-finch-on-a-2009-tacoma-dcsb/

I would weigh the truck with the shell off, then weigh it after installation, before doing anything other than upgrading tires. I would then drive it loaded with all of your gear, including the heavy stuff like water, fuel, chains, etc. you'll find out how it balances and rides with the stock setup.

Read Jonathon's website for how he set up his truck, he helped me with my process.

Thanks for the reference to Jonathan's website. I don't know how I missed it during my FWC research. Also some really nice interior ideas. I'm now leaning toward running airbags, and adding custom leaf springs in the future if it needs it. From everything in this thread and other research, I'll need some suspension upgrade, and airbags seem to work well.

Thanks again all for your insights, and happy weekend.

2014 Tacoma Access cab, 4wd, - Ran airbags for a few months and 10-12 trips. Definitely works. Just added the Helwig 1906 spring pack designed by Helwig/FWC for this truck. WOW! Huge difference. Love it. Left airbags intact for fine tuning...maybe even a little leveling in camp.

mphoppe said:
2014 Tacoma Access cab, 4wd, - Ran airbags for a few months and 10-12 trips. Definitely works. Just added the Helwig 1906 spring pack designed by Helwig/FWC for this truck. WOW! Huge difference. Love it. Left airbags intact for fine tuning...maybe even a little leveling in camp.
I remember when these were announced. I haven't heard much since. Glad to hear they are working for you. Did you install them yourself or have a shop do it? If you don't mind me asking, how much did they cost? I have been considering a custom pack by Deaver and am wondering how these would compare.

Back
Top Bottom