tailgate as storage platform?

turn_one

I've yet to pick up the FWC Hawk shell for my 2011 Dodge 2500 so I could be off here but what about the option of leaving the tailgate on (folded down) for increased storage space? It's a standard length bed and I'm not sure how much flat space I'd gain by leaving the tailgate on (distance from the rear of the camper to the edge of the tailgate).

I would use a tailgate extender like this one http://www.amazon.com/ReadyRamp-I-Beam-Compact-Extender-Black/dp/B00BB0NT92 to contain everything up against the camper...this would only be used while in transit for containment.

I plan to have a dirt bike with me on some trips (carried on the front) and need to carry additional fuel. I've seen the Rotopax ideas but would like to use my existing 5 gallon jugs for gas/premix. If the space isn't large enough for my jugs I'm sure I could find something to stuff in there.

I'd deal with the inconvenience of having to step down off my tailgate vs. spending the $'s on something like an Aluminess bumper if it will work.

Thanks.

Moving from the tailgate into the camper increases the chances you will bump your head because a horizontal movement encourages you to stiffen or straighten your back to maintain balance. The "natural" no-bump movement into the camper is a diagonal which naturally encourages you to lean forward and so fewer bumps. A receiver hitch platform adds storage while still being part of a diagonal movement into a camper. Some people adapt to the horizontal entry off the tailgate. Having the tailgate on may prevent you from accessing your spare tire depending on how everything fits and your truck model.

Back
Top Bottom