Taking camper on fire trails- turnbuckles

plug ugly

When taking a TC off road on fire trails, uneven terrain, what is the proper way of securing the camper? I use frame mounted tiedowns. Do I need to be concerned about too much tension and pulling the camper side mounts out of the camper?

I loosen at least my rear turnbuckles a little and some on the front as well. I have pulled the brackets before on one side when I didn’t and hit a huge hole that I didn’t see.

craig333 said:
I keep mine snug at all times.
Same. And when in even a little doubt I slow way down and just creep along. Better to take an extra hour or so on a rough road than tearing up equipment.

By the way, even though I loosen mine I have some carpeted wood pieces that I put in each side of my camper to keep it from going side to side, but when I am off road I air down my tires quite a bit as well. That helps tremendously. Forgot to mention that part.

Luckytibbs said:
By the way, even though I loosen mine I have some carpeted wood pieces that I put in each side of my camper to keep it from going side to side, but when I am off road I air down my tires quite a bit as well. That helps tremendously. Forgot to mention that part.
To me the proper interface between the eyelet and hook should be just rite not loose or tight so cargo is stable and cannot shift. I use derringers now and micro adjust the interface and have left the turnbuckles behind
After one bad experience with turnbuckles the insurance of of stability is worth the couple hundred bucks

Airing down is a good idea but the turnbuckles should always be tight. Cargo must always be secured so it can't move, it's just simple physics.

One of the formulas for force is F = 1/2 mass times velocity squared. You can see that velocity has a big effect on force. So if your turnbuckles are loose, the camper can move just a bit and that creates velocity, even if it's just movement by a quarter inch. The moving cargo will exert much more force on your tie down points than secure cargo.

We have had a rubber mat under our Ocelot for years and it keeps the camper in place quite well. Turnbuckles are snug, but not tight. Agree with driving slow and we air down the tires when on miles of rougher road.

+ 5 or more on keeping the turnbuckles tight. Asking for problems by loosening them. As far as airing down, yes in sand loose soils. No in the rocks of the high sierras.

Back
Top Bottom