The Fall and the Camera

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
My Nikon DSLR camera is in for repair. I just got the call and gave the go ahead; $220.00 parts and labor. I will be without it for two weeks. But, once again, I’m lucky to be alive, and I consider that a good trade off.

Here’s a little story I left out of our Recent Trip Report.

Barking Spider and I had fallen a bit behind our women folk. We were having a geology discussion as we were ascending a broad wash. Small steep gullies were dropping in from the right and their edges and the high edge of our wash were lined with nicely stacked dark rocks of similar size, about the size of basketballs.
“Those look like someone has stacked all those rocks. There must be an old mining operation nearby or maybe even older human activity.” Barking said.
“I don’t know,” I countered. “I think this all could be remnants of large debris flows and subsequent rain storms have washed away all the smaller material leaving these all stacked in this fashion.”
We were enjoying being amateur geologists, enjoying discovering and fleshing out a puzzle.
“Let's climb up there and take a look. This could also be an old cut with a dozer.” Barking was ready for action.
We climbed up. We found no real evidence that suggested mining work and everything seemed aligned with gravity and water flow. I moved ahead, higher, and up to the edge of the side gully’s steep wash. The stacked dark rocks were in stark relief above the sandy colored rock of the bedrock, cobble, and gravel. I stepped up on a large flat rock on the edge preparing to find a route across this gully and to drop back into the main wash. As I moved my weight across it, it shifted; I was launched face first into the gully. I still must have some youth like abilities left. I did not want to hit where I was heading, no way. All this was instinctive reaction. There was a short pour over below me. I reached out with my left hand and pushed off into a barrow roll to the left, down the gully. I cleared the pour over and landed on my back in the gravel at the base. I landed hard on my pack. I didn’t realize how hard until I awoke the next morning wanting a couple of advils with coffee. The only other injuries were a bruised left palm, scraped left elbow, and a bunch of holes in the seat of my pants. I don’t know how that came about. The fall was over ten feet and I was just damn lucky.

Mrs. Spider was up the main wash, had just dropped her pack, and was shedding a layer as she looked down canyon to see where we were- just as I launched. She witnessed the launch, the roll, but then I dropped out of sight. I heard her yell that I had fallen. I answered that I was okay. I only remember doing a half flip. She says I pushed off so hard I did a one and a half and scored it a 9.5.

Barking Spider was behind me on the side hill. He was in the middle of a personal break, in the universal position. He had turned around and saw nothing. After the Mrs.’s yell, I could hear him dancing, trying to hurry but not get himself embarrassingly wet.

“Is your camera okay?” was the first thing he asked. He had heard me answer previously. I had been taking photos. The strap was around my neck. After I hit, the camera slammed me in the middle of the chest, a good place for it to hit. Not a mark on it. It worked perfectly. As I said, damn lucky.

“So what in the heck happened to your camera?” You are probably asking after all of this. That night the Lady and I had retired to our camper. We were deep into a game a scrabble after viewing the day’s photos on the camera’s LCD. The camera was resting on top of the towel covering our ice chest. I had one foot up on the ice chest in a relaxed position and I moved just a bit. The towel moved. The camera moved. The camera dropped off the chest a little over a foot to the camper floor. No visible outside damage but the LCD was toast.

$220 parts and labor and estimated two weeks turnaround time.

Battle scars.

She says I pushed off so hard I did a one and a half and scored it a 9.5.

You could of had a higher score if you pointed your toes.

:eek: Wow, Ski, quite the story. Glad to hear you came out of it as well as you did. Ironic follow-up about how the camera got damaged.

Thank goodness for reflexes built up over the years of off trail.
Especially in the desert, it's too easy to touch something that's ready to roll.

Sorry about the camera, that's close to the price I would start considering another body.
Sometimes used gear can be had for a good price at fredmiranda.com, etc.

Extra points if you can post video with your next one and a half gainer! :p
But at least you have witness you can vouch for you (and apply first aid if required).

Another reason to carry a daypack. I imagine that spared some some damage to your back. Scary stuff. Funny but the only times I've hurt myself outdoors was with others around. I must be safer when I'm solo. Sorry to hear about your camera. Do you carry a spare?

Thanks all for cheering me up. Ted, you are quick and witty! I was wiggling around in bed last night and the Lady asked, "What in the world are you doing?" I said. "I'm practicing pointing my toes like Ted suggests. You saw how excited Barking got about video and his iphone after my fall and started filming everything. My stomach is getting upset with performance anxiety about my next fall getting filmed." I got "the look" and she rolled over and went to sleep.
Craig, no spare camera body, yet. Yeah, Lighthawk I did look at my options and this time went with the repair. Thanks for the info!

Ski glad to hear you are ok. It is amazing how fast things can happen. Those situations are why I carry a personal locating beacon. You never know what is going to happen and when and where help is coming from.

Might make sure Nikon sets the calibration to factory specs while they have it. Does your DSLR have micro adjustment capabilities? That will make sure the lens and camera auto focus together with sharp results.

pvstoy, thanks for the pointers and suggestions. I appreciate it. Yes, they are to make sure it is to factory specs. My cheaper D3100 does not have micro adjustment.

Gravity does indeed bring you down fast!

That's a great story, ski3pin!
I mean, it would've been a sad story if you were now disabled in some way...but since you're not injured it's a great story!
biggrin.gif

Too bad about the camera, though...that's sad.
sad.gif

The phone call late yesterday afternoon informed me that the replacement LCD part has been back ordered since December 1st. I am promised a phone call today as they further investigate a possible date the part may become available. The Lady and I traveled to the north coast last weekend. No camera, no photos. We played a game of stopping at places I would normally compose a photo, "Click, click" we would each say as a way of putting the view into memory.

Perhaps it is time for another camera body. I await the call.........................

Bummer, Ski. Here's to hoping the LCD comes in stock.

Your click, click story reminds me of a fishing trip with a buddy.
I broke my rod tip bicycling to a 'secret spot' on the Yuba . A gust of wind tipped my hand and the rod tip kissed my front spokes. I decided I would be an Observer the rest of the day. I enjoyed watching the salmon, bright silver, fresh from the ocean responding to a July 'emergency water sale'. This was during the drought years in CA. Sadly Yuba Co Water Agency shut off the water afterwards, exposing the spawning grounds and killing the eggs. I learned a lot from breaking that rod tip. Last snippet: Sage guarantees their rods and I got a new blank and rewrapped my old guides onto the new tip.

Lighthawk, I haven't broken a fly rod yet and hope it is an experience I'm spared. I did leave one in its tube propped up against a trailhead sign.................................yes I went back. Yes, it was gone. I hope it found a good home!

My camera was shipped yesterday and is on its way home!

Back
Top Bottom