The flat tire thread

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
I just got back from Black Rock Desert. I had a flat that turned into a crappy situation (which I will elaborate on in my trip report) and have vowed to be a lot more prepared in this department in the future. Questions for the WTW gurus:

1. How many of you carry a matching spare (BFG AT etc) rather than just the factory spare?

2. I've read cases of more than one flat - how do you handle that.

3. Sealants - use them to temp fix flats?

4. What kind of compressor does everyone have?

5. Whatever other tips you have are appreciated.

Flats, who gets flats

OK here we go ...

Don't have the same spare but have the same size.
Carry/use an ARB plug kit and carry xtra plugs, stems etc.
Use the the cheapo < 50.00 air compressor, and although slow it has never failed me.
One more thing, should of bought Toyo's. 35000 mi so far and no flats.

marc

carry a spare , not same type of tire or rim but same size, usally don't carry a air compressor, but have used starting fluid to set tire back onto rim:D

Flat..

Carry an exact spare, plug kit, and a $65.00 compressor I use on the tires and air bags. Only used the spare once when I took a piece of wood through the sidewall of a 10 ply Toyo MT....since they all have the same rim, I rotate all the tires in as a spare occasionally so they should all wear out close to the same time.

1. The spare is at least the same size if not the same tire. Because I plus sized my tires on this truck, I purchased 5 rims and had the same tire mounted on all of them. This allows me to do 5 wheel tire rotations, thus spreading out the cost of the tires at a factor of 4/5.

2. I handle 2 flats very poorly. I have friends who can set a tire plug quickly and have it hold. I have yet to master the skill. I always carry plugs and the tools necessary to prepare the hole and insert the plug (and I have read the instructions more than once), but when the tire meets the plug, mine don't hold, so, for expedition type of travel, I carry an extra spare.

3. Fix-a-flat or similar aerosol products might work for on road repairs, but not what you are likely to do to your tires off road.

4. I bought on of these compressors because they were highly recommended by WTW members and I have been happy with mine.

5. I recommend you don't get a flat.:D

DD, sorry to hear about the flat problem. We have the same tires and they have served us well on this truck and previous trucks. I am interested to hear what caused your flat.
-We replaced the spare when we upgraded and upsized the tires.
-Have never had a second flat, but it is common to see people with a second spare in Baja.
-Don't carry sealant. For the small price and storage space it would take, seems like a good idea. I will add that to our inventory.
-You saw our compressor. About $70 at Harbor freight. 30 amp, connects directly to the battery. The ones that plug into a cigarette lighter will blow a fuse or overheat before you can fill a tire.
-No other advice.

I usually don't prepare well and before heading to Alaska I opted not to change out tires, tread was OK but within 45 miles, this;
531458108_8F4Gz-M-1.jpg

I was prepared for flats, the Harbor Freight farm jack was great, a big cheater bar and socket helped, and I was carrying 2 spares and a bottle of spray in crap that wouldn't have done any good
531459190_JUg2z-M-1.jpg

Carry a cheapo 12v compressor with a long cord and can hook it to the fwc or truck. A couple months ago it helped a guy camping by us, did the job bringing him back to full pressure. Plugs might be good as well, don't think I always want to carry the extra spare.

23 years with my Toyota I have never had to put the spare on...Knock on wood. I have used a plug three times but have never had to use a plug since I went with the BFG AT.

I have a 12 volt compressor and plugs. One spare that is same diameter but skinner to fit under the aux gas tank.

Had a 82 toyota p/u, 87 Landcruiser, 97 4 Runner and all I put the BFG AT when I bought them including the spare. Never got a flat or any nails. Now the 2005 4 Runner has BFG AT but the spare is a new highway tire (saving money???)

Want to hear more about the flat.

For your tire plugging woes.. check out this tool.

http://www.stopngo.com

I was seriously into motorcycle travel for a number of years and this tool is excellent for those "Flat tire times". Since there is no spare, nor tube on a roadbike.. these plugs work wonders in the middle of Nevada when it is getting dark.. trust me I can vouch for it. Small, efficient and it works like it should. Does require a few practice runs. I have it in my truck now. Certainly since I carry it.. my times to use it will be less frequent.

Also carry a properly sized spare, conventional "strand" tire plugs, a "serious" 1/2" breaker bar with a correctly sized impact socket for the lug nuts and a 12v compressor that I have had for sometime.. name has worn off. But it will inflate a full size tire. The "strand" plugs can be used for a really big hole by wadding up a bunch of 'em.. soaking them down in rubber cement and stuffing them into the hole. Might not hold forever but maybe enough to get you down the road.

Like Pat I've been pretty lucky with flats. Stock spare back there but when I get new BFG's I'll put one of the used ones on the spare. I use this compressor and plug kit.

Attachments

• puma 12v.JPG
    puma 12v.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 266
  • plug.JPG
    plug.JPG
    3.9 KB · Views: 270
Had a flat last year while doing some mine exploring. We were in the process of changing out the tire and had, no joke, two people come up the dirt road slow down and ask us for directions to the mine. Not even a "doing okay?"...
Got it changed to the leaky spare (I do carry a small compressor) and limped down into Lone pine. Luckely Napa was open, we bought a plug kit and plugged it on the tailgate.

From then on I carry a plug kit and check the spare before every trip. Not really concerned with matching the spare to the other tires, it may be a risk but I figure thats $250 I could use other places..

Not really concerned with matching the spare to the other tires, it may be a risk but I figure thats $250 I could use other places..

Recently, I've found my spares rot before I need them.

Unless you're running auto-lockers or really hard core wheelin' I'm not sure how matching tires makes a lick of difference.

Scott,
Unless I hear otherwise I'm going with what you said and I'll keep the unused OEM spare. However I'll need your phone # before any trip so you can come rescue me if you're wrong.
Actually I do agree with you. I used the OEM on the T100 coming out of Saline in the snow and it worked fine.

I carry the ARB tire repair kit and the MV-50 Air Compressor. I also have a similar sized spare. The ARB kit is cheap insurance.

For most of this truck's life I've run BFG AT KO's, a great tire that is good for many different conditions. I only got one flat with the BFG's and it was on the interstate after picking up a nail. A plug from the ARB kit fixed it and we drove 5 hours back home with no issues.

Last Fall, I swapped on a more agressive mud terrain tire (Interco's TrXus MT's) and I can't stand 'em. Going back to BFG's soon.

I carry the same size spare, but different tire. I'm not going to plug it myself and even if I tried, it probably wouldn't work. So I figure if I get a flat, change it and then off to a repair shop for either a new tire or a plug. The odds of needing two tires before finding a shop are so low that I don't think twice about it.

I have friends that hunt in remote places in Nevada and there has been times that they did get two flats and had two spares. That was after being stranded with one spare. Travel with people with same rim bolt patteren:D

If the tire plug is done right and with no leaks then it will last the life of the tire. If the hole is big and you have to stuff several plugs in then you have a problem tire.

there is a company called safety-seal.

http://www.safetyseal.com/

their regular, colored RED, plug kit works best for LT type light truck tires.

no wimpy tools that snap like twigs and leave you with a REAL problem.
no glues that vaporize with age or harden.

no fad stuff...just a very reliable, sensible kit.

I've ran BFG AT's exclusively for 20+ years, with thousands of miles off road. I've had two flats in that time, both nails, both in the city.

I run a same size BFG on my spare and carry the MV-50 compressor and also an el cheapo plug kit but never have used it. From others stories I'm beginning to wonder if the plug kit will even work. Might need to invest in a higher quality kit for piece of mind.

As a tip, I bought my spare BFG used for about $40 bucks from the local low budget used tire shop in near brand new condition. If you have patience and check frequently you can nab a decent spare on the cheap.

Scott,
Unless I hear otherwise I'm going with what you said and I'll keep the unused OEM spare. However I'll need your phone # before any trip so you can come rescue me if you're wrong.
Actually I do agree with you. I used the OEM on the T100 coming out of Saline in the snow and it worked fine.

Jay,

I'm not sweating it -- I'm sure you'll be outside of cell coverage when the bad thing happens.

SB

Back
Top Bottom