The order is in!

White Dog

I sent the order for our Grandby in to FWC Canada today :D Thanks to all those who were kind enough to offer suggestions on options. Here's what did and did not go on our order (other than the obvious).

1) We went for most of the 'comfort' options (furnace, hot water/outside shower). I've done and still do the tent thing but comfort is good too.

2) Splurged for the Waeco 110 L compressor fridge. We will be using the camper mostly in the summer and like the reliably cold temperatures. Since we will likely be remote most of the time, the large size and low temperature means the food will stay fresher longer.

3) We ordered the glass covered stove but not the sink. In our travel trailer, we have a cutting board that is designed to sit on the sink. We really like this arrangement. It gives a flat surface for hot pots that won't damage the counter top and can be moved over to the dining table if one of us is making a salad. I'll make the board after we pick up the camper. We also thought the folding faucet in the covered sink might be hard to replace in 5 years when the orginal dies.

4) In addition to the regular internal battery and charger, we ordered the second battery because of the fridge. I also ordered the roof plug for the solar panel but not the panel. My brother is upgrading his trailer and has an 80 watt panel in almost new condition. We order the LED lights to keep the lighting load to a minumum.

5) The Arctic pack was a must. This is Canada after all ;)

6) The screen door wasn't even discussed. It was just an automatic tick mark on the order form. If you've traveled in northern Canada in the summer, you'll understand.

7) The Fantastic fan was a must as well. We used them in the trailer for years. They work great. My brother turns his on to 'exhaust' when he is lowering the top on his Northstar. It sucks the material in so it doesn't get pinched. We also ordered the extra roof vent so the sleeping shelf has more fresh air.

8) We hummed and hawed about the awning. In the end we waffled and ordered the mounting plate ($85) but not the awning. This makes for easy installation if we decide we want it latter.

9) Ordered the Yakima tracks (I have the racks themselves for cap on the truck) and the rear steps to get up to the roof. We'll see how it is lifting the roof with canoe.

10) Went for the dinette seating. We tried both and liked this layout so we could look at each other over meals and could see out the side window.

11) We didn't order the rear 'yard lights' (as we started to call them). Couldn't really think when we use them.

12) We went for the original aluminum siding. We have fiberglass on the the trailer and, while it has advantages, it is a lot of work to keep it looking good after a few years. The aluminum is lighter and easier to fix.

13) Didn't bother with sliding rear window, stereo, or small left window. Again, didn't seem important. We did order the front left cabinet though (in place of the left window) for the extra storage space.

Based on the numbers from FWC, the wet weight with propane should be just a touch under 1200 lb. We'll see what it really comes out to when it arrives.

So, we should take delivery in the spring, take it for a test run on the way home, and then head for the Yukon in late July.

All in all, this has been a pleasant experience (except writing the cheque). Stan at FWC and Gary at FWC Canada were pleasant, helpful, and patient with all our questions. I wish this was the rule in the whole RV business but, in my experience, it generally is not.

Congratulations.

I think you've made some great choices on your option list. I'm curious what you've found on your research of the Waeco frig? I am leaning that way too but for that kind of money I don't want to make a mistake. I haven't seen any other reviews here on that frig.

The only thing I'd add is the sliding window. I really loved that option on my previous FWC especially if you have dogs.

I sent the order for our Grandby in to FWC Canada today :D Thanks to all those who were kind enough to offer suggestions on options. Here's what did and did not go on our order (other than the obvious).

1) We went for most of the 'comfort' options (furnace, hot water/outside shower). I've done and still do the tent thing but comfort is good too.

2) Splurged for the Waeco 110 L compressor fridge. We will be using the camper mostly in the summer and like the reliably cold temperatures. Since we will likely be remote most of the time, the large size and low temperature means the food will stay fresher longer.

3) We ordered the glass covered stove but not the sink. In our travel trailer, we have a cutting board that is designed to sit on the sink. We really like this arrangement. It gives a flat surface for hot pots that won't damage the counter top and can be moved over to the dining table if one of us is making a salad. I'll make the board after we pick up the camper. We also thought the folding faucet in the covered sink might be hard to replace in 5 years when the orginal dies.

4) In addition to the regular internal battery and charger, we ordered the second battery because of the fridge. I also ordered the roof plug for the solar panel but not the panel. My brother is upgrading his trailer and has an 80 watt panel in almost new condition. We order the LED lights to keep the lighting load to a minumum.

5) The Arctic pack was a must. This is Canada after all ;)

6) The screen door wasn't even discussed. It was just an automatic tick mark on the order form. If you've traveled in northern Canada in the summer, you'll understand.

7) The Fantastic fan was a must as well. We used them in the trailer for years. They work great. My brother turns his on to 'exhaust' when he is lowering the top on his Northstar. It sucks the material in so it doesn't get pinched. We also ordered the extra roof vent so the sleeping shelf has more fresh air.

8) We hummed and hawed about the awning. In the end we waffled and ordered the mounting plate ($85) but not the awning. This makes for easy installation if we decide we want it latter.

9) Ordered the Yakima tracks (I have the racks themselves for cap on the truck) and the rear steps to get up to the roof. We'll see how it is lifting the roof with canoe.

10) Went for the dinette seating. We tried both and liked this layout so we could look at each other over meals and could see out the side window.

11) We didn't order the rear 'yard lights' (as we started to call them). Couldn't really think when we use them.

12) We went for the original aluminum siding. We have fiberglass on the the trailer and, while it has advantages, it is a lot of work to keep it looking good after a few years. The aluminum is lighter and easier to fix.

13) Didn't bother with sliding rear window, stereo, or small left window. Again, didn't seem important. We did order the front left cabinet though (in place of the left window) for the extra storage space.

Based on the numbers from FWC, the wet weight with propane should be just a touch under 1200 lb. We'll see what it really comes out to when it arrives.

So, we should take delivery in the spring, take it for a test run on the way home, and then head for the Yukon in late July.

All in all, this has been a pleasant experience (except writing the cheque). Stan at FWC and Gary at FWC Canada were pleasant, helpful, and patient with all our questions. I wish this was the rule in the whole RV business but, in my experience, it generally is not.

We have the dinette in our ACT bobcat and like it.The one difference between the FWC/ATC dinette is the placement of the tube that holds the table in place.I think FWC still uses the longer tube that attaches to the floor between the seats.While the ATC tube is shorter and attaches to the step part of the camper(where the wheel well is).If Stan can use the shorter tube it will give you moor leg room.I have posted photos under Bobcat with dinette.Check it out for a view of the shorter tube or let me know I'll send a photo.

Congrats on the order.

Frank

It's the same fridge as the Dometic CoolMatic series CR 1110, I have the CR1065, great fridge. The Waeco's are the Australian varieties and seem to have good reputations. With the LED fridge light, LED status lights and separate freezer zone, I think they are great units.

One thing to remember though is that like the ENGEL SR 48 and 70 uprights, the CR series uses a single compressor for both zones and the thermostat favors the fridge side. So if it is about 80F outside and you want your fridge to be at 36, the compressor will run more and the freezer will in turn stay colder and you might get away with having some ice cream in it. But if it is more like 45-55 degrees out and your fridge is very well insulated, the compressor will not run nearly as much in keeping the fridge at 36 degrees and the freezer will start to thaw a bit as those temps equalize. At least with the Dometic / Waeco, the freezer is an actual compartment with a door. The Engel SR series have a door-less "zone" for freezing.

When trouble shooting my ice cream issues, I called both Dometic and Waeco to get the low down, both said that ice cream is best at 10F or lower and that by 28-32F, should be quite mushy. If your thermostat is keeping the middle of the fridge at 34-36 and is running the compressor at an average 24 hour duty cycle of 60%, then the freezer should be no warmer than 28 which is fine for ice, frozen meats and veggies.

I think the 110L and my 65L use the same compressor, so you are going to have to pack it pretty full to keep it efficient.

My 2¢ for the week....

It's the same fridge as the Dometic CoolMatic series CR 1110, I have the CR1065, great fridge. The Waeco's are the Australian varieties and seem to have good reputations. With the LED fridge light, LED status lights and separate freezer zone, I think they are great units.

One thing to remember though is that like the ENGEL SR 48 and 70 uprights, the CR series uses a single compressor for both zones and the thermostat favors the fridge side. So if it is about 80F outside and you want your fridge to be at 36, the compressor will run more and the freezer will in turn stay colder and you might get away with having some ice cream in it. But if it is more like 45-55 degrees out and your fridge is very well insulated, the compressor will not run nearly as much in keeping the fridge at 36 degrees and the freezer will start to thaw a bit as those temps equalize. At least with the Dometic / Waeco, the freezer is an actual compartment with a door. The Engel SR series have a door-less "zone" for freezing.

When trouble shooting my ice cream issues, I called both Dometic and Waeco to get the low down, both said that ice cream is best at 10F or lower and that by 28-32F, should be quite mushy. If your thermostat is keeping the middle of the fridge at 34-36 and is running the compressor at an average 24 hour duty cycle of 60%, then the freezer should be no warmer than 28 which is fine for ice, frozen meats and veggies.

I think the 110L and my 65L use the same compressor, so you are going to have to pack it pretty full to keep it efficient.

My 2¢ for the week....

Do you think one could get by on a single battery or would you recommend the dual batteries?

Do you think one could get by on a single battery or would you recommend the dual batteries?

If you are not running solar or are camping on dark days, two batteries is the safe bet.

If not staying one spot for more than 2 days, sure on one battery. But if you are boon docking you might want to get a solar panel or run two batteries. I have a large Die Hard 31 and a Optima Blue Top as a backup plus 135 watts of full time solar and another 100 watts as a slide out aux. panel.

The combo of the 135 watt, single Die Hard battery and a lot of sun make it to where I never run out of juice and have to go to the second battery. The backup battery is for when I am parked in one spot in cloudy, dark Winter days and the full 235 watts of solar is not keeping up with would be extremely rare.

Without the option of propane, you really need to make sure that fridge is always getting over 12 volts so better to be on the safe side.

Thanks for all the pleasant thoughts.

My wife and I thought about the fridge quite a bit. In the end, we know we will be travelling in remote areas for extended periods so we went for the biggest fridge since we won't be able to restock that often. We've also noticed that the Dometic in our travel trailer starts to get a little warmer than we would like in hot weather and the FWC will be mostly a summer home for us. The Waeco definitely uses more power than the propane Dometic but surprisingly, the propane fridge uses about .8 amp continuously to run the gas solenoid. I've actually measured this. Since we seldom stay put for more than a couple of days, running the truck should keep the batteries recharged. We did order the second battery and the solar panel connector on the roof. If we need to add a panel it will be a piece of cake (except for writing the cheque). The Waeco is a bit more expensive but then FWC Canada has a bit of price break if we order in November. Needless to say we just spent the savings on more options. ;)

Now all we have to do is wait.

Congrats. Sounds like you really thought it out.
Who did you order from in Canada? Morrisey in Vancouver?

Correct! We went to see him in July. Had a great visit and show-and-tell. We will take possession in Alberta. No sales tax. ;)

Are you getting your camper asap (4-6 weeks) or taking delivery in the spring (April)?

We're not going to take possession until May or June. We likely won't get home from Arizona/New Mexico until late April. Our plan at the moment is to pick up the FWC in Calgary and do a shake-down run through Grasslands National Park on the way home, then take off for 6-8 weeks in the Yukon and Northwest Territories starting in late July, back in early September.

Back
Top Bottom