The Rocking Chair

WOW!!!!!,when I first saw the video I thought of the Ted and his axe.
I am always impressed with woodworking skills.
I like to think of myself as a fairly good woodworker,but this guy is fantastic.
My work is in furniture,bird houses and stuff.Don't do as much now.Pretty much made all the furniture we need for a while.But there is always the occasional bird house.It's like therapy,and keeps me off the streets.
Have any of you watched Roy Underhill?Years ago he would have a show on PBS.Don't know if he still does that.
He works a lot with restoring the area at Williamsburg.
All his work is with period tools.He got me to do some similar work,what fun.
Thanks for posting the video.
"Dr. Frankenstein of Wood"

Roy Underhill is still going strong on OPB here in Oregon. Probably multiple reruns, but it's interesting to see the skills and techniques from yesteryear.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Roy Underhill is still going strong on OPB here in Oregon. Probably multiple reruns, but it's interesting to see the skills and techniques from yesteryear.
I enjoy that show too. I would like to get one of those foot powered lathes.

takesiteasy said:
I enjoy that show too. I would like to get one of those foot powered lathes.
Al,you could make one from an old sewing machine.Some of the ones Roy used were pretty simple.
The one from the rocker video seemed to be a pretty high end model.
Frank

Roy Underhill is in heavy rotation on UNC-TV public broadcasting here in North Carolina. He's pretty much an institution in these parts.

Thanks Jay.Enjoyed watching Chris building his lathe.
Also watched the one from Canada.The guy uses the front drive axle of a mini van to turn a bowl.
Not sure I would try that one.
I have turned many pieces over the years and it can be dangerous,but fun.
Frank

Very cool. Wish I could work as fast as he does, haha. That's some chisel at the end. Thanks for posting that Jay.

Back
Top Bottom