The Soup Night Thread

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Since Occidental mentioned they were going for 30 soups this winter, I thought it might be fun to share the tasty treats, so feel free to post your soup night specials.

Tonight, I made smoked ham and great northern beans, and The Bride is currently whipping up a batch of cornbread.
gallery_4841_711_1655787.jpeg

Steve, we had four or five different soups over a couple of weeks, but all good things come to an end, temporarily anyway. I am now fiddling around with my smoker, whole chickens at the moment. And last night we reacquainted ourselves to the simple pleasure of a baked potato and braised greens. When we cycle back to soup, then I will jump onto this topic again. It is fun to think about all the ways soup can be imagined!

Ok, here's a few of our 2021 soups:

Bouillabaisse
Pho
Lamb and kale w/ turmeric
kokanee chowder
pork and bean
ramen
dill
won-ton
mulligatawny
clam chowder in homemade bread bowl
tri tip and noodle
crab bisque
turkey gumbo
jambalaya
split pea and ham
tortilla
ham, bean and kale
cucumber avocado (cold)
corn and basil (cold)
butternut squash
beer cheese
tom yum
chicken and rice
lobster bisque
sausage kale and potato
shrimp bisque

and if you take a liberal definition of soup like me....
chili
beef stew

We still have December - what's your essential soup that we're missing from the list?

Borscht (cabbage style)
Somer Borscht (with Sorrel)
Chicken soup
Machine Shed Soup
Roadrunner bean soup
and many more...

ski3pin said:
Anyone making turkey soup tomorrow?
Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Nope,Black Friday is Tapas night around the Casa.

Frank
Wandering Sagebrush said:
Nope, we had braised short ribs, but the turkey and turkey noodle soup is in the near future.
Our wonderful holiday hosts served ham yesterday. Bean and ham soup tonight.

With the nod towards a liberal definition of soup, I made a simple oyster stew for my granddaughter on Thanksgiving. And two types of chili are in every winter's rotation--our daughter in law's bean-rich variety and my wife's all beef style served with baked cornbread.

But these entries have got me thinking about expanding the soup horizon!

Foy

Foy said:
my wife's all beef style served with baked cornbread.
I do love an all beef style chili! And baked cornbread is a perfect accompaniment.

Our third night dining on the pot of ham and beans, I just wish it wasn’t so “potent”. We’ve added stock every night, hopefully the beans have released all their extra power.

I made a bean soup today that was one of the tastiest I’ve ever turned out. The only different ingredient was sweet Italian sausage to compliment the smoked ham shank, and diced ham.

gallery_4841_711_633853.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom