The underlayment under the mattress

steve whiteside

All, planning on getting something to go under the mattress for cold weather camping. My Grandby has a bed that expands to Queen sized but I dont leave it expanded in this way. Usually it is folded into the smaller size and then we pull it out to sleep.

For those that have a similar situation what do you do? Cut the underlayment and toss it on top of the bed (with the extra cushions)?

Not sure Im clear on this, but wondering what to do.

Steve

Steve, I recommend products that allow an air space under the mattress. We use Hypervent in our hard side camper. It adds a small bit of cushion, and more importantly lets air circulate under the mattress to deal with condensation and any resulting mold or mildew issues.

You might also consider some thin construction foam to add a bit of insulation.

Steve, we have a similar type of, pull out to extend to queen size bed, in our Hawk and deploy that when necessary. For the underlayment additional insulation and some cushion, as Sagebrush noted, we have been using a Therm-a-Rest sleeping pads cut to fit the size (similar to this: https://www.rei.com/product/829826/therm-a-rest-z-lite-sol-sleeping-pad ). If you get something too thick then you will notice the lift panels cannot fold down and the top will not come completely down, unless you remove everything. We decided to use something thin that gives additional insulation, keeps condensation down and we don't have to keep shuffling stuff when it is time to close the top. Hope it gives you some ideas. Have worked for us quite well down to freezing temps.

Hello O O

We have a Cougar and I cut some Reflectix material. Only use it on the overhang as the pullout is inside the camper. Have not had any issues.
Russ

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Steve, I recommend products that allow an air space under the mattress. We use Hypervent in our hard side camper. It adds a small bit of cushion, and more importantly lets air circulate under the mattress to deal with condensation and any resulting mold or mildew issues.

You might also consider some thin construction foam to add a bit of insulation.
Yes I see Hypervent. My question is more along the lines of how do you handle the extra length of mattress when you extend the bed to queen size? You buy some extra Hypervent and store that cut piece on top of the bed when the bed is in the smaller configuration?
thanks, Steve

CougarCouple said:
Hello O O

We have a Cougar and I cut some Reflectix material. Only use it on the overhang as the pullout is inside the camper. Have not had any issues.
Russ
Ohhhh! I see. yes, that makes sense. The underlayment is not needed under the section that does not back up to the cold bottom. Got it, and good idea!

Steve

OregonOzzy said:
Steve, we have a similar type of, pull out to extend to queen size bed, in our Hawk and deploy that when necessary. For the underlayment additional insulation and some cushion, as Sagebrush noted, we have been using a Therm-a-Rest sleeping pads cut to fit the size (similar to this: https://www.rei.com/product/829826/therm-a-rest-z-lite-sol-sleeping-pad ). If you get something too thick then you will notice the lift panels cannot fold down and the top will not come completely down, unless you remove everything. We decided to use something thin that gives additional insulation, keeps condensation down and we don't have to keep shuffling stuff when it is time to close the top. Hope it gives you some ideas. Have worked for us quite well down to freezing temps.
I ALREADY own two of those pads! Combined with what cougar said, I might be good to go!

I like the hypervent Idea we're always pulling our our mattress to dry after a trip every weekend sun nite. have used reflectix under bed for extra heat. Have noticed after a nite or so i feel the cold and moisure more. The reflectix seems to get caught up in the pull out part of the bed and has to be flattened out often Hoopy

I use a similar material to the above mentioned 'Reflectix' in our Alaskan Camper, makes a good bit of difference (and its easy to stow).. Since we are only away for two or three days at a time , Im not that worried about condensation.. But it is something to keep in mind. Side note'' Reflecitx works great on campfire chairs, brakes the wind and reflex the warmth.
G Vavra

Using Hypervent here. It's amazing how much condensation (OK, actual water) it prevents the mattress from soaking up. Even just one day/night trips, it is necessary to lift the mattress and wipe up the water.

Dafinga said:
If I have a Hawk flatbed with under bed storage will this be an issue in cold weather?

-Pete
I'd expect it would not be an issue as the under bed storage adds insulating space between the outside and your mattress.

We have a 2007 FWC Keystone. We have a 4" thick aftermarket mattress, a thin memory form topper and we have Froli Travel springs underneath. The Froli springs are assembled as one large section for the fixed overcab portion and a rectangular section for the slide-out portion. We have two removable cushions in the slide-out portion. Once the cushions have been removed it is simple to lift out the Frolii section and put it on top of the mattress before sliding the pull-out section in and closing the top. The top does close and seal and the latches latch.

Since the FWC Keystone (not offered since 2011) is larger than the Grandby with plenty of room
and there are only two of us, we often do not bother pushing in the slide-out portion.

Back
Top Bottom