Thermostat & Battery Monitor Questions

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
Over the past year I have read posts about the quality of the factory installed thermostat. Has FWC changed the thermostat and is it a programmable thermostat? Viewing the photos of the shell build-outs the thermostats appear to be programmable. Were these factory installed or part of the custom builds? Also, several people have installed the Trimetic 2025 battery monitor. Is this a replacement for the factory installed monitor, or just a unit that provides more easy to understand data? I'm planning on having FWC install the 100 amp solar panel on the roof and include the solar plug and portable 80 amp solar panel, so I will have 180 amps of solar. Wonder if FWC will provide the 2025 or new 2030 unit as an extra. Comments greatly appreciated.

John

Just picked our new FWC about 6 weeks ago. Same old thermostat as our 2003 camper. I asked if they would install the 2025 or an upgraded charge controller for the solar if I provided it . They said no. I have a replacement thermostat and had friends help install the charge controller. Decided to skip the 2025 but I do like it and, in answer to your question, do think it is mostly an easy to understand unit. Just not a necessary piece of equipment for our use.

Ted said:
Just picked our new FWC about 6 weeks ago. Same old thermostat as our 2003 camper. I asked if they would install the 2025 or an upgraded charge controller for the solar if I provided it . They said no. I have a replacement thermostat and had friends help install the charge controller. Decided to skip the 2025 but I do like it and, in answer to your question, do think it is mostly an easy to understand unit. Just not a necessary piece of equipment for our use.
Ted, what type of thermostat did you install?

Folks,

I have these nice little Aube digital thermostats around my house. (zoned floor heat with a thermostat in each room), that are reliable and easy to use. It has a temperature display (F or C) and two selectable setpoints (plus a third remotely-selectable setpoint). One of these might be a great upgrade for the cheap stock thermo, if the $37 price isn't too much for you. It runs on a couple of AA batteries, which seem to last for years. Two-wire hookup, 2-amp rating. Model TH135-01

I have one left over from the house heating system project, so I'll probably put it in my new Fleet, when I get it.

- Bernard

Replacing the thermostat was the second thing I did after carefully cutting & peeling (just) the FWC website and phone number off the back door.

Here is the one I got: <----clicky

It took about 5 minutes to install.

Kilroy

bfh4n said:
Folks,

I have these nice little Aube digital thermostats around my house. (zoned floor heat with a thermostat in each room), that are reliable and easy to use. It has a temperature display (F or C) and two selectable setpoints (plus a third remotely-selectable setpoint). One of these might be a great upgrade for the cheap stock thermo, if the $37 price isn't too much for you. It runs on a couple of AA batteries, which seem to last for years. Two-wire hookup, 2-amp rating. Model TH135-01

I have one left over from the house heating system project, so I'll probably put it in my new Fleet, when I get it.

- Bernard
How low is the minimum setpoint on one of these?

MarkBC, the lowest setpoint on the Aube TH135-01 is 40 F. That might be too high, if you're just trying to keep from freezing.

- Bernard

It'd be nice to find one that does 35 degrees but i haven't seen one. I'm not terribly impressed with the battery life on mine. I'll get the model number shortly.

craig333 said:
It'd be nice to find one that does 35 degrees but i haven't seen one. I'm not terribly impressed with the battery life on mine. I'll get the model number shortly.
I got over 4 years on the battery in this one in my old camper.

Regarding Honeywell thermostats - Barking Spider got one from Home Depot and installed it in his Hawk. Sorry, I do not know the model. They went on a winter trip with us and their furnace would not start in the mornings. He called Honeywell and was informed it would not work in temps under 40°. Read the small print or call Honeywell. Just FYI

I've had this one in two campers with no problems in all our travels. Lux

I tried our Honeywell today at 32F and it fired right up. I don't have the model # handy, but at least some digital stats work below 40F

I'm by no means an expert on this as I'm just starting adding to my newish hawk.

First off I can tell you from my own experience that I would get the solar plug on the roof and on the back wall. I wouldn't get FWC's solar set up either. You can get so much more for less money if you do it yourself.

I doubt FWC will put the Trimetric in your unit. I just added a 2025-RV to mine and it was super easy and it's turning out to be an awesome addition. It's in addition to the water and battery monitor that FWC puts in. IMO the battery and water monitors they put in are not much help. Especially the water monitor. I can have a full hot water heater and 5 gallons in the main tank and it'll tell me it's empty. I would love to put in the Blue Sea water/fuel monitor, but they're pricey.

For the cost of FWC installing their solar stuff you could buy a 160 watt panel, a MPPT charge controller and a Trimetric unit and do the install yourself. This is exactly what I'm doing right now. I'm installing a refrig and once I know the power requirements I will size my solar panel accordingly, but I'm already looking at the GSO 160 watt panel and the Morningstar MPPT controller.

I'm going through all of these motions right now so when you're ready to pull the trigger or do this work on your own feel free to shoot me a PM and I can share with you what I've learned from others here and on my own.

Lighthawk said:
I tried our Honeywell today at 32F and it fired right up. I don't have the model # handy, but at least some digital stats work below 40F
Andy, Do you mean that the thermostat has a setpoint that goes down to 32° (or below)? Or that the temperature in the camper was 32°?

Bwht4x4 said:
I'm by no means an expert on this as I'm just starting adding to my newish hawk.

First off I can tell you from my own experience that I would get the solar plug on the roof and on the back wall. I wouldn't get FWC's solar set up either. You can get so much more for less money if you do it yourself.

I doubt FWC will put the Trimetric in your unit. I just added a 2025-RV to mine and it was super easy and it's turning out to be an awesome addition. It's in addition to the water and battery monitor that FWC puts in. IMO the battery and water monitors they put in are not much help. Especially the water monitor. I can have a full hot water heater and 5 gallons in the main tank and it'll tell me it's empty. I would love to put in the Blue Sea water/fuel monitor, but they're pricey.

For the cost of FWC installing their solar stuff you could buy a 160 watt panel, a MPPT charge controller and a Trimetric unit and do the install yourself. This is exactly what I'm doing right now. I'm installing a refrig and once I know the power requirements I will size my solar panel accordingly, but I'm already looking at the GSO 160 watt panel and the Morningstar MPPT controller.

I'm going through all of these motions right now so when you're ready to pull the trigger or do this work on your own feel free to shoot me a PM and I can share with you what I've learned from others here and on my own.
Thanks. I will keep that in mind.

The factory thermostat is the first thing I changed in my Hawk. Like the one I have, it's very simple, one button turns on the heat and you just adjust the temp. Don't need the bells and whistles for programing in a small camper, just get up and push the button that turns on the heat.
I went with the Morningstar battery monitor because it simply plugs into the controller, couldn't be easier to install. IMG_1154.JPGIMG_1152.JPG

MarkBC said:
Andy, Do you mean that the thermostat has a setpoint that goes down to 32° (or below)? Or that the temperature in the camper was 32°?
Sorry. Now I get it. The temp in the camper was 32F. I'll have to play with it to see how low I can set the the stat.

bsharp007 said:
The factory thermostat is the first thing I changed in my Hawk. Like the one I have, it's very simple, one button turns on the heat and you just adjust the temp. Don't need the bells and whistles for programing in a small camper, just get up and push the button that turns on the heat.
I went with the Morningstar battery monitor because it simply plugs into the controller, couldn't be easier to install.
attachicon.gif
IMG_1154.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_1152.JPG
What thermostat did you install? Also what brand is your controller? I'm not sure what controller FWC is installing. The Morningside Remote Meter talks about connecting to a Morningside Controller, so the question is will the Morningstar Remote Meter be compatible with an IQ4 or whatever controller FWC installs?

Back
Top Bottom